• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby not growing

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I use washcloths, roll one up, like a donut...
make a circle out of it, and place the second one over the top, safe, comfy, warming, and keeps those feet and legs under him..like this..
20190125_195329.jpg
20190125_195357.jpg
Hope this helps!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Soooooo adorable! That second pic has me melting of cuteness..:heart:

Mermaid Queen

Meeting neighbors
8 weeks on Friday and finally growing! Who would have thought! He Has come along way in the last week!! Unfortunately tho Our boy has gone off his food... seems uninterested in eating but I’m managing to get enuff food into him each feed I feed him with a spoon warm formula and I just pretty much hold his head and hold the spoon in his beak and he slowly eats!! Sometimes he tries harder than other times, This has been going on for about 3 or 4 days now! Dosent sound good but so far we are managing, fingers crossed

Attachments

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
He is just the cutest thing. He is getting to big and developing quickly.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I'm so happy to see this. Great job mom!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Look at all those beautiful feathers coming in! You might have to feed him smaller meals more frequently and he might even want to try to eat on his own a bit. You could moisten and soften pellets with warm water or offer him some formula to see if he will take it on his own.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Beautiful! He is doing so well! When you first posted i expected the worst to come, but truly he is a fighter, and going to make it! :)

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Wow he grew a lot with your help! Ty so much for updates! No idea why he doesn’t want to eat :( I hope he still continues to eat!

At his age he would normally have started eating food on his own, I would offer him some cooked vege mash, sprouts, pellets, see if he takes interest.

Last edited:

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Thanks for the pic! Since he was delayed I would expect milestones to come late, like a premature baby. I continue to be amazed at his progress and so impressed by your hard work and determination to help this little one thrive. do you have a plan for his splayed legs?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You´ve done brilliant with little Ivar, well done. He´s growing nicely, slowly, but he´s getting there.

My youngest was rejected @ 5 days old, and is growing super slow. When he was smaller, every time i would go to open the nest box, I would stop, and mentally prepare myself for the worst before lifting the lid. They were dark days.

I can´t wait to see Ivar all grown up, he´s such a determined bird.

I had to double take at this!!! :laughing2:

Last edited:

Mermaid Queen

Meeting neighbors
We tried to fix his splayed legs but unfortunately we were unsuccessful ... I don’t think there’s much now we can do ? As he is now 9 weeks old and what I’ve learnt it needs to be corrected in the first 3 weeks or so....but I will just see how he goes and moves around as he gets stronger! And modify his cage as needed...He currently pushes himself around with his legs and wings!! I will ask the vet about it when we visit down the track... 58 grams today :)

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Ohh he’s soo cute. Glad to hear he is doing better.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's looking good! You will probably need a highly modified cage and cage layout so he can move around easily - I'll tag @Brittany0208 who has such a layout for her one-legged bird, Java.

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
I've been watching this thread for every twist and turn, and he's doing so amazingly well now! He looks really dark, I wonder if his feathers will stay that pretty dark-grey as an adult. He really is the cutest. :heart: