• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby not growing

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Every 3/4 hours seems too frequent to me. Is his crop getting completely emptied at least once a day? If not there may be a crop problem like sour or impacted crop. This is above my experience, but that is going around in my head and keeping me awake as both could cause malnutrition.
Also the amount he's being fed. How many mls is he taking? Babies eat a lot more in one session than an adult as growing takes a lot of energy. Bang goes tonight's sleep :cantsleep:
I think she meant every 3-4 hours as that is what was said in an earlier post. Every 45 minutes would be a bit often.

But for a baby of this size, every 3-4 hours is not frequent enough. I used to handfeed day old budgies and my tiels on occasion and we would feed every 1.5 hours until they had pin feathers. Then it was moved to every 3 hours or so, or whenever the crop was 1/4 full and the babies began to cry again.

Mermaid Queen

Meeting neighbors
I’m not sure if it’s coincidence but he gained 2 more grams yesterday/ last night as his weight hasn’t changed ..and I did thicken his formula slightly! His Crest feathers are growing and he is growing more feathers on one wing so that’s a positive! I’ve been told he is still developing! Which is a good thing.. we keep him in this little container sometimes because of his splayed legs! I’ll get more photos later today! Here he is also preening himself in one of these photos!! :) 9E8C504D-E5DB-47B7-8FB6-41780520707C.jpeg 08985144-B4D8-467F-B64A-1E40236B2958.jpeg 8E21FFF8-0A53-4004-9E85-115C48FC50C1.jpeg

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Thank you so much for the pics. He/she is certainly a miracle baby. One reason this is so foreign and hard to find info on is probably because this baby would have just died from lack of care either by parents or humans. He is alive because of your care...thank you for that. He looks happy and albeit slowly beginning to thrive. Trying to preen is a good sign...at least in my opinion. who knows...this little warrior could surprise everyone and be one for the textbooks.

Mermaid Queen

Meeting neighbors
Like a tiny miracle Ivar put on another 2 grams over night! That’s 5 grams since I’ve thickened his formula a little ( I’m guessing) in the last 2 days , because his weight has been stable for the last 4 weeks at 21-22 grams, he is now 27 grams :) he also has started sprouting teeny little feathers on his chest! That I can see..(if you look closely) ..
He’s starting to get a little dirty I’m trying to wipe ( with a warm wet tissue) bits of the poop off but I don’t want to wet him to much incase he gets cold!! Should I just not worry to much about it for the time being?

Attachments

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
In my opinion its a good hygiene practice and bacteria might grow in the crusty food. I'm not experienced with feeding baby birds so take that with a grain of salt. Lets see what our resident experts say. Ivar looks bigger and healthier to me. When do you take her/he back to the vet?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm really rooting for this little guy! You're doing a phenomenal job! :heart::hug8: