• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby not growing

Mermaid Queen

Meeting neighbors
I have a 5 week old baby cockatiel the size of a 7 day old! Took him to the vet today and the vet said he wouldn’t make it and was unlikely to grow anymore...has anyone got any similar situations or thoughts? I’m giving him a bit more time just to be sure! Thanks heaps

Attachments

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Maybe some kind of infection that makes it difficult to absorb food Like Agy?

Not getting enough food? Or the right amount? Or even the right quality?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
That has to be malnutrition.
As already suggested, the wrong food or not enough. Could do with a pic from the front showing the crop after feeding.
What feed are you using? Also is he warm enough, and not burning calories just to stay warm?
Let's see if we can turn this into a success.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope things will turn around for the little guy and he will thrive and survive.
Scully and Mulder hatched the same day but Scully looked about 1/2 the size of Mulder. . I wound up pulling them at 4 weeks and Scully did start to catch up. However his development was not as far behind as your little one. Sending positive thoughts for the baby.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not convinced it's simply malnutrition - the head looks like an odd shape. Apparently birds can have hydrocephalus, and I wonder if that's one of the things that's going on with this little one.

I hope you can find a way to help him/her thrive.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I'm not convinced it's simply malnutrition - the head looks like an odd shape. Apparently birds can have hydrocephalus, and I wonder if that's one of the things that's going on with this little one.

I hope you can find a way to help him/her thrive.
I was noticing that as well but don't have experience with them at that stage. I'm hoping someone will chime in that has a ton of experience and advise on care

AviMom

Sprinting down the street
If that is the most current photo of the baby at 5 weeks old, it is malformed, and may not survive much longer. I'm surprised he's lasted this long. It's head is large and looks like it's got large protrusions behind the wings maybe kidneys....?
I would say try to find or order Exact high fat baby food, but there could be multiple reasons he's not growing or gaining weight. I'd almost bet it's a problem with his pituitary gland.
At this point, I'd continue to feed him, keep him very warm, love him bunches, and pray for him. Miracles do happen.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hes a "runt" give him heat, warm yummy feedings when his crop empties, make sure the poops are normal. I have a tiel who I helped hatch, he was stuck to the eggshell,I removed him with a moist Qtip.. his " belly button " wasnt healed, he had poo inside his egg..he was soooo tiny, no fuzz.. I couldn't even count his toes, he wasnt supposed to live, but hes now 15 years old. Hes blind, has no tail, one wing, and crooked feet,,but hes alive, happy and spoiled rotten! And has a girlfriend, :hug8:Miracles do happen!

Mermaid Queen

Meeting neighbors
Thank you everyone! He is still alive is very alert eats and poops well but has only just put on 2 grams and sprouted some tiny feathers around his beak! That’s it! Still the size of a 7 day old..not really growing, for the time being We are keeping him warm and well loved ♥ We will see!! @Birdbabe so beautiful and thank you xxx