• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby not growing

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's doing amazing! If I may ask, what's his cage setup like? I can help you make it more adaptable for him :)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
He really is looking so good now - yep, I'm still stalking this thread.
What just struck me though is just how alert he's looking now. Like someone flicked the 'interested' switch. Great time to introduce him to new things.

AviMom

Sprinting down the street
Hes definitely one for the text books. He looks like a 3 week old, not 9 week old...but he's here, and starting to catch up. Hes really cute with all his feathers coming in. Has he been back to the vet? Is there anything they can do for his splayed legs?

Mermaid Queen

Meeting neighbors
Still kicking on!!! Yes he is around the size of a 3 week old now! Still not interested in food but I’m managing to get enuff in but it is getting harder! @Brittany0208 he is not currently in a cage he is in a shoe box inside his heat box .... I know I will have to have a highly modified cage of some sort... I don’t know if he can use his legs yet! He is alert Everyone! He loves preening and he loves cuddles!!! He’s kinda got a little “mad” personality as in angry! It was mentioned on this thread that he may have diseased parts on the insides! Well his voice box is tiny! Teeny tiny little cheeps cute but totally not normal!

Attachments

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
He's so cute! Your doing a great job. I hope he eats more, but as long as he get's enough, then he should be fine for now i'd imagine. I love his feathers :heart:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thanks for the update and the pictures! He´s a sweetie! It´s nice knowing how loved he is ❤

AviMom

It was mentioned on this thread that he may have diseased parts on the insides! Well his voice box is tiny! Teeny tiny little cheeps cute but totally not normal!
He may have some other problems, but normal.....he is not "normal". He is super amazing. He has come thru so much. Not everyone would have gone thru the lengths you have to help him survive. Many would have given up on him. He is very lucky he landed with you.
In my own opinion, he will catch up, he will find ways to do what he needs to do, and one day, he will be "normal", but still awesome.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Sweet pictures! What a character. One of these days you will have to post a video

Mermaid Queen

Meeting neighbors
Our baby Ivar is spending a few days at the vet hospital ,his crop never emptied for about 34 hours so I took him to the vet today.. he has 2 infections in his crop and is on 2 courses of antibiotics .. it may be sour crop it may be something to do with his insides!! We won’t really know about his insides until we get him an X-ray when he gets older and stronger!! But till then it is being treated as sour crop and in around 3 days to a week we should know if there is going to be any improvement .....as for his splayed legs she also suggested the rolled up towels :) and suggested massaging his legs and kind of holding them in position under him kind of like physio excersizes... there are a few options for his splayed legs she might try when he recovers from his crop infections or possibly surgery when he is an adult... he wasn’t doing to well today, so keep fighting our little man! Thank you to everyone for your love and support and very inspiring messages they bring tears to my eyes

Attachments

AviMom

Im sure he will respond quickly to the antibiotic and be fine. Maybe he's had an infection all along and now he will start being able to process food normally and grow strong quickly. Its exciting that there are options for his legs too!!
Come on little Ivar!!!! You may be a cockatiel, but you have the heart of an eagle!!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Sour crop could explain his slow development and weight gain if he's had it all along.
I've got my fingers crossed for the both of you.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
What a strong little one. Thank you for being such a caring bird parent! Hoping for a full recovery for the little one!!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no, I’m so sorry he’s sick, but I hope he bounces back in no time. Come on little Ivar, you can do this sweet baby bird! We all love you!

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Mermaid Queen, please remember, that no matters what happens, this little guy would not have even gotten to first base without all the love and care that you have so generously given him.

You both are in my thoughts.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that Ivar is ill. Sending positive thoughts for his recovery. He's a fighter!

Mermaid Queen

Meeting neighbors
It is with a very heavy heart that I have to make this post.. our beautiful baby Ivar passed away last night at the vet hospital in the care of the best hands! Our baby has gone and we are broken hearted, ten beautiful strong inspiring weeks with our little man... thank you to all his friends and followers for the love support and kind words that kept our baby going .. but his little body just finally gave up and he is now at his resting place in Valhalla #ivar #ivarthecockatiel #ripivar #viking #vikingparrot

Attachments