• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby not growing

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh I just found this thread........had me on the edge of my seat! He is so cute and I am hoping he continues to improve and grow. You have done such a marvelous job with him, you should be proud of yourself.....I am proud of you! More pictures of the little cutie pie pretty please:)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Moistened Q-tips really helps get a baby bird clean.

I am happy he is gaining weight. 2 grams a night is about 5% weight gain a day. You want it atleast 10%. Might need to increase the feedings to only a couple of hours apart vs 4 hours apart.

But that is excellent news.

He does have some splayed legs going on but I personally wouldn't worry about that until his body has more nourishment. Malformities are caused by starvation and he might just need nutrition before it's time to work on fixing his legs (if it's still possible).

Mermaid Queen

Meeting neighbors
Only 1 gram gain last night but still 1 gram there was no weight gain for a good 4 weeks solid so trying to stay positive! I’m trying to clean him up bit by bit as I go with moist cotton buds ( thanks for the tips) since he’s been sitting for 7 weeks he has gotten messy and I’m trying! We have corrected 1 splayed leg with elastic band braces but the other leg is not good ... still using the elastic bands on him but I’m hoping when he gets stronger etc he will start to learn more how to use his legs especially his good leg! But the legs at this stage are not my main concern I want him to grow and to start developing! He is 7 weeks old today..... as for the vet... we saw the vet over 2 weeks ago now and she was happy for me to put him to sleep! I’m not planning on taking him to the vet at this stage! I will if I need to but at this stage I’ll just keep him home and see what happens!
As for feeds generally his crop is almost empty by 4 hours!!! I checked today to see if I could feed him more frequently but his crop still had food so I thought to wait out the 4 hours! But I’ll be checking and if he needs food before then I will do so! I’m still planning on trying a new formula but am still waiting for it to arrive in the post :) please excuse his bottom I’ll work on getting that poop off today

Attachments

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Thank you him and his sister ( who is healthy) are my very first baby birds :)
Wow ,you're doing great, i never have done what you're doing. So many knowledgeable members here have been so helpful and supportive
to you and your little one . He's precious, i hope your baby keeps improving .

MaxieTheBirdie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kevin Dolby
Sad... he didn't get a fair chance... hope he makes it :darkcloud::crycry2::crycry::cry::cry3::sad1::sad7:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You’re doing a great job. A couple of hints (I’ve hand fed several tiels and a bazillion finches) .... thickening the formula was brilliant and clearly is working, if his poops seem to become dry though or his skin becomes shiny and pink, he’s dehydrated. At that point work in one runnier serving per day.

If he is hungry, feed him. The only time this is not applicable is if he just ate in the last half hour. As long as the crop empties thoroughly once every 24 hours, you’re good. They sometimes have little growth spurts and want to eat every 90 minutes. That’s fine, let him eat. If his problem was malnutrition from the earlier food or from the only-4-hours feedings, he’ll have to catch up.

In his little nest, if you put shredded clean paper and mash out a circle for him to sit in (like a bird nest) that will help with the splay legs. They often develop from having too much room/no substrate. BUT....see below....

Little ones like this have often developed improperly, something that happens in the egg or even due to missing or diseased inner parts. Hence, splay legs and not growing, maybe. That’s why the vet wanted to put him down. So please know that despite your best efforts he could die and it is not your fault if that happens.Totally out of your control.

Thank you for giving him a chance. I know how hard it is to feed a baby around the clock.

Mermaid Queen

Meeting neighbors
Ivar gained 2 grams overnight now a total of 30 grams, 8 grams in the last 4 days...thank you everyone, here’s a picture of his sister Iris (currently i don’t put them together ) I’m working on the little paper nest! I’ll give it a try

Attachments