• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby needs help, please

MissEdie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Edie
Oh my goodness,

I got a 26 year old Umbrella cockatoo. She had one owner since she was 4 weeks old.
The problem seems to be she got so much attention all the time, I don’t think she knows how to play. Now the lady has 5 dogs and her adult son, daughter n law plus a 4 year old grand child.
Baby, the Too is or was in a dark corner and screams a lot. They yelled at her to shut up and put things up against her cage to scare her to be quiet

I ignore her screaming and talk to her when she’s quiet. She’s a Too, I understand what they are and what has happened to her. The only “playing” I see her do is tear paper. I know that could be a
“nesting” issue. I’ve added toys, one even has avi cakes in it for her. But she’s so use to consistently having junk food available to her and I mean in a separate dish, she had fruit loops, cheese curls and gold fish crackers always available. She doesn’t realize what a “treat” is. The other dish had fruit Zupreem. She hasnt paid attention to the
“Good for you” toy.
She doesn’t even know how to step up they’d just grab her to pick her up.

How do I help this poor girl.
How do I teach her to play. She’s by a bright window now plus a sun lamp by her cage. I had her out for some time this morning. I’ve taken the junk food away. I can’t get her to stay on a play stand to really work with her. She won’t stay still. She don’t bite. But she’ll pant a lot when you pet her. I know to stay at the her head, they didn’t. They had her for 26 years and had no clue about her. It so stressed me out. It was like trying to explain to another parent about raising their child. We all parent differently. They’d pet her down her back and under her wings. They said she lays eggs about once amonth.

So basically, I want to better her life. Any more ideas would greatly help.
Thank you for reading this. I know it’s long. Her Name is baby. She’s like a spoiled child, that then has been neglected (abused) at the same time
We’re lucky she hasn’t plucked yet.

I have some experience with big birds, I have an CAG. He plucks his tail out every once in a while. But he plays and talks and yes tears paper when he’s nesty. He knows how to station, step up and get treats.
But each breed is different I’m doing what I know. Is there anything else I can do for Baby?

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
:hello: :welave:

I do not know much about toos but we have many experienced too parents here and I’m sure they will pop in as they see this. The only thing I can offer is just keep showing her love and interact with her, play with some toys so she can see they are safe as well and what they are for as much as you can, also your cag may be able to show her you are safe at some point once introduced to each other…

again welcome! And thank you for taking her in and giving a much better life! :heart:

MissEdie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Edie
:hello: :welave:

I do not know much about toos but we have many experienced too parents here and I’m sure they will pop in as they see this. The only thing I can offer is just keep showing her love and interact with her, play with some toys so she can see they are safe as well and what they are for as much as you can, also your cag may be able to show her you are safe at some point once introduced to each other…

again welcome! And thank you for taking her in and giving a much better life! :heart:
Thank you,
She knows I’m safe. I visited her a couple of times a week before she came here. I wanted to be at least a familiar face in a new place. The lady children didn’t want her after she past away (she was planning for baby future). She’s 68 and wanted to give her to someone who’d had bird experience. That’s why she was given to me.

We did nails this morning, a shower and a blow dry. She loves to be blow dried lol
She’s a sweetheart.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My U2 (Jasmine age 22, got her when she was 7 months old) loves the Planet Pleasures Pinatas to chew up. I hang them close to a lower perch & on the side of the cage. Plastic foot toys in any size & shape. You can also use dog toys like rubber Kong, but not the tire ones as they smell like real tires. My Macaw loves a big blue pacifier they make. Also none that have any flavor added. A swing, as all parrots love to swing.

Food wise try offering mixed veggies (corn/peas/carrots/green beans) or corn on the cob wheels in a dish on the cage floor. She likes Nutriberries & almonds in shell as treats.

My U2 will stay on her cage as long as we're watching her. Otherwise she jumps & runs. You could try teaching Baby to step up from the floor. Get down with a small ball or some toy parts. Toss them around & see if she takes interest. Then try to get her to step up after a few minutes of play. Once you get her to step up off the floor move to the back of a chair & keep working on it until she'll step up off her cage, etc.

If she keeps laying eggs you can try the fake eggs. They worked for my U2 Jasmine. DummyEggs.com, Dummy Eggs Help Stop Egg Laying in Pet Birds! Fake Eggs, Solid Plastic Eggs in all sizes.

MissEdie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Edie
My U2 (Jasmine age 22, got her when she was 7 months old) loves the Planet Pleasures Pinatas to chew up. I hang them close to a lower perch & on the side of the cage. Plastic foot toys in any size & shape. You can also use dog toys like rubber Kong, but not the tire ones as they smell like real tires. My Macaw loves a big blue pacifier they make. Also none that have any flavor added. A swing, as all parrots love to swing.

Food wise try offering mixed veggies (corn/peas/carrots/green beans) or corn on the cob wheels in a dish on the cage floor. She likes Nutriberries & almonds in shell as treats.

My U2 will stay on her cage as long as we're watching her. Otherwise she jumps & runs. You could try teaching Baby to step up from the floor. Get down with a small ball or some toy parts. Toss them around & see if she takes interest. Then try to get her to step up after a few minutes of play. Once you get her to step up off the floor move to the back of a chair & keep working on it until she'll step up off her cage, etc.

If she keeps laying eggs you can try the fake eggs. They worked for my U2 Jasmine. DummyEggs.com, Dummy Eggs Help Stop Egg Laying in Pet Birds! Fake Eggs, Solid Plastic Eggs in all sizes.
Thank you,
Yup my Grey gets the veggies nuts, hard boiled eggs, nutriberries, all that good stuff.

I like the idea about toys on the floor and such too, We’ll check that out. Gotta keep her busy

Ohh the dummy eggs. I forgot about those. I use to use them for canaries I had a long time ago.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thank you for taking this bird in and giving her a better life.

There is no quick or easy answer to any of this. This is a 3 year old child that has never "learned" anything because she was never "taught" anything. This is going to require tremendous patience. You can reasonably expect it to take a year or more before you realize some kind of "harmony". This is all going to boil down to "you" teaching her how to play with things by playing with them first. Literally. Same with food. It's not so much about the food because eating is a social activity. Again. You need to teach her what to eat by participating in this activity and eat with her (even if you don't actually eat it). You pretend to love that crap and make a big event out of it. It won't happen right away but she will come around. Bathing same thing. You first. A large secure area goes a long ways to speed up the process.

Time. Patience. Time. Patience. This is a journey. You get the picture.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:congrats5:

On your new bird and well done on giving her a home she deserves best of luck with her.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks for helping her. You can maybe try some simple foraging with her. Will she eat nuts? An almond or pecan in the shell? Most cockatoos like those- and even eating in the shell gives them something to do. Once she recognizes those, you can hide in a small box with some crinkle paper. Let her see that you're putting it in it and let her figure out how to get it. Then you can expand to more complicated foraging toys. As for food/treats, I have found that often cockatoos are not food motivated. My 'too I swear lives on air. He could care less about food- but praise, that's what he lives for. So you can use praise as a training tool. Really make a big deal when she does something correctly that you want her to do.

MissEdie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Edie
Ok the next problem,
She’s panting every time I get her and like trying to bury her head in things.
is this a hormonal/nesting thing and will it stop?

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ok the next problem,
She’s panting every time I get her and like trying to bury her head in things.
is this a hormonal/nesting thing and will it stop?
My U2 does this. Vet says she's in hormone overload. As long as I stay away she is fine. As soon as I get close she pants. She doesn't do this with my husband, only me. She is/was bonded to me from age 7 months to 4 years. Her hormones kicked in & she's been this way ever since. Vet told me only option is hormone shots, which I won't do. Had one & it turned her into a zombie. She's laid eggs, some days or weeks apart. I used dummy eggs, which stopped her egg laying. To date nothing has helped her panting when I get close to her.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Also, making sure she's getting 10-12 hours of sleep/darkness is important. If she's getting that already, you might try bumping it up by two hours for a couple weeks.