• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Mousebird

Jeanca

Checking out the neighborhood
Good day. I am from South Africa and rescued a speckled mousebird, propably around 20 days old. Weighs about 20g, fully covered in feathers. I have been feeding him banana pieces and paw paw pieces, with some drops of water in between. He eats quite alot, almost every hour and then poops just as much. The poop is mostly just undigested banana or paw paw. Sometimes there is "normal" bird poop. Is this normal? Or am I over feeding him? He also vibrates alot when he is being handled as well as when he is just hanging around in his cage. Is that something they do? He is very noisy as well, not loud but always making sounds. Different type of sounds. Is there any signs of distress that he might be showing. Thank you in advance

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry, I don't know anything about this type of bird, probably because it's only in Africa. It sounds like it likes fruit & berries. You may want to get him/her some fresh fruit & berries. Often banana chips have a sugar coating that's really not good for them. I could be wrong but it's my understanding that birds don't drink a bunch of water. They get it from their food. With that bird being stressed bevause it's little & scared it really needs it's natural foods to deal w/ this stress. It also sounds like you suspect it's a baby. It may need formula instead of food. I am not skilled in any baby birds care. I got my guy @ around 23-25 yrs old.

Maybe @Zara could help or recommend someone who can give better information.

Can you please just confirm that you believe it's a baby & I understand correctly. Thank you in advance for picking this wee one up & trying to help it.

Jeanca

Checking out the neighborhood
Morning. I would say it is baby, but quite big. I tried the pureed bananas and he struggled to eat that. He was more happy with little pieces that he could hold with his claw and then eat it like that.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge