• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

baby mousebird needs help

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
How wonderful that Susanne can offer great advice about these lovely birds. I had the pleasure of holding one thanks to our dear Susanne. There is definitely something magical about them.

Sarel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarel de Wet
Hi Susanne

Fantastic forum... really great. Thanks for the SA references. Will get on to them asap. Specially Chantel. I'll post tomorrow a somewhat detailed description from my experience raising Spike, my Speckled baby! He shares on his turf with four cats. One day "it" will show them who's the boss!

Chantel, find some syringes if the bird is the size of Spike. Spikes recipes mainly consists of banana pulp, kiwi fruit (try to remove the seeds - not easy to run through the syringes), papaya and mulberries. I've noticed our fig tree is making figs! Have to protect those fruit from those Mousebirds! Living in South Africa! PETS flying around!

Mash it up and combine flavours, like banana and mulberry for example. Spike first and only shot was proNutro porridge - not good, cause Mousebirds are fruit eaters! If the Mousebird is bigger than Spike then hand feed it with fruits. That's what I'll do. Spike is not there yet! Love to find out myself. I've adopted this motto: Baby can't feed itself it's my responsibility!

In my opinion water is best taken in via the juices of the fruit. Kiwi is a lekka (nice) thirst quencher. They love touch and love sunbathing. Watch how it will purge up and spread its wings! Remarkable! Don't leave it in the sun too long. Dehydrates. Who would leave a child alone in a parked closed-up car on a sunny day? I always encourages Spike to take another sip of fruit substance after relaxation in the sun, whether outdoors or indoors.

Mousebirds in my opinion can be very demanding on your time... I've had Spike since Monday and the fun never stops feeding him between working hours. Luckily for him I work from home. Don't know how these little birds will manage being hand reared while 'parents' are not attentive. It's true what people say - every 1 or two hours... its fun time.

I'll post Spikes routine tomorrow. Better putting it all out in the open while people like Susanne can give expert guidance.

Thanks a lot!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Mousebirds in my opinion can be very demanding on your time...
--------------------------------------------

LOL...I'm finding Blue-naped (BN) are the worst! They are little brats and will let you handfeed them forever. If I get out of their sight they cry and call. As to all my adults...they are constantly eating so I am always replentishing their food dishes.

I'll pass the info to Chantel, and give her the link to the forum too. From her description I'm suspecting she has a recent fledgling.

OK...are you pooping Spike? This important so that they don't get impacted intestines. They will let you know by raising the tail and I gently touch the vent/cloaca with a Q-tip swab which stimulates them to empty. Once they start weaning and eating on their own it is not as important to do. While in the nest the baby will raise its tail and the parents eat the feces. This is ususally fed back with the food the parents regurgitate when feeding the chicks.

When the chick is fully feathered you can dice up all the fruits into 1/8- 1/4" pieces and use a pair of tweezers to handfeed bits of fruit. If you can find pellets for cockatiel sized birds you can soak them in juice to soften them and offer them with tweezers.

Mousebirds also enjoy sandbathing...so you can place a pan of clean sand in the bottom of the enclosure and they will happily shimmy and shuffle in the sand.

Last edited:

Sarel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarel de Wet
It's 1am SA Time! And if I'm not an enthusiast then what am I?

I've typed an email to Chantel.

Yes, I'm doing the 'vent-thing'! Very important. Like your website and like your rebellious streak concerning feeding habits that differs from 'books'. Go by experience, but stay in the game.

Now its bed time folks

Goeie nag (Good night)

Hi Chantel

The forum below deals with interesting questions concerning Mousebirds of which I've joined. Susanne thought I should contact you about your Mousebird.

http://forums.avianavenue.com/softbill-circle/10326-baby-mousebird-needs-help-8.html#post493531

I've also unexpectedly become a 'parent' when a Mousebird was cornered by my Cat. I don't know what possessed me, but I've immediately felt very obliged to help this creature and sorry I am not! I think it changed my life or rather my views on birds as pets.

If I may further intrude, I'll be brief in giving you and your daughter who has taken a liking to the MB my thoughts on the matter.

A) Hand raise it and set it free after you are sure it can sustain itself in the wild.

B) Hand raise it as a 'pet'.

Personally, I think Spike will decide between these two options. Again, I have no trouble keeping it!

Mousebirds eat fruits. (Forget the worms and insects)

By giving it fruit your bird will be very hygienic.

From the link provided, you'll be able to see the size of Spike. Young MB birds according to the Internet become from 'nestling' to 'fledgling' rapidly. Nine days, they walk and climb about like 'bats'.

Feeding:

Spike's diet consist of banana (very cheap) but very good. I mix the banana with kiwi fruit (try to get rid of the seeds if using a syringe), or papaya, or mulberries (tree nearby) and/or any other fruit.
I use a big syringe to gather all the mash fruit and redistribute quantities thereof in other smaller syringes by injecting the juices/fruit into them. I have four shots. Spike max out with 3 shots (1ml each) most. Generally two is enough.

I hold the bird with my left hand, with his body cupped and my index and thumb lightly around the neck. By gently tapping with my right hand the syringe on his 'right-side' of the beak (have to be patient) feeding occurs by gently squirting down the pulp. If you bird is bigger than Spike. I'll hold him as describe and with a toothpick or by my hand feed slice fruits with seeds and all. Normally the bird will shake its head if anything is not kosher, like food hanging out, juices in the eye or nostrils. I use my right hand thumb and Index finger to wipe the beak clean.
MBs love affection. After feeding you can gently stroke its chin, wings, neck and front.

After feeding do the 'vent-thing' in order to stimulate the chick to defecate. It is important to 'act' like the real McCoy parents by gently touching with a tissue(!) to the vent (poepolletjie)! Nothing bad at all! The fruit is clean and it gets clean out! No problems. If the bird does not respond, don't worry, it will do it later. But this is an important phase after feeding in order to help the chick not getting nasty stomach problems etc...

I feed every two hours.

Sunbathing

A fun thing is taking the bird to a window where the sun is shining. Watch as it brace itself and spread its wings! Spike hangs on my fingers and lay backwards. I do this in the morning for a good reason and in the afternoon twice. Five minutes of my day.

Torpid

MB Birds when cold and waking up cold looks 'dead'. I would have disposed Spike by the second day If I didn't done some research on day one via the Internet and find this small footprint. Torpidity is nothing to be scared about. Its normal in an abnormal way. Take the bird out when the sun is about over the fence (8h30am). The warmth of the sun rays will give it life. No wonder they worship the Sun. Once recovered start feeding.

Sleeping and Cages

Spike sleeps in a cockatile cage (I've borough it). I have a Mohair blanket and a bean-bag, which I warm up at night (Microwave Oven). A warm water bottle will do. Just cover all warm apparatus with whatever material you put out as cosy for MB. Spike is sleeping next to us, beside the bed. With another blanket wrapped around the cage for outer protection. We have four cats. Yes, they sleep on the bed.

If you have any questions contact me via cell or email.

Hope you're not too stress out!

Remember go by a feeding schedule and consider which option is best for the bird and your family.

Have fun!

Sarel de Wet

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Thanks Sarel for the great info for Chantel. We occasionally get sudden inquiries about lost foundling mousebirds from SA. Maybe you can take notes of what you are doing daily...like a journal...and start another thread. This way it can be saved as a Sticky thread on the forum and be saved at the top of the softbill forum to be used as a quick reference for others in the future that find little lost mousebird chicks and need help.

How to start a new thread...you can go to the main forum, and click on Softbill Circle. At the top is a butoon to start a new thread.

Last edited:

Sarel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarel de Wet
Great idea! I've made notes and your suggestion is spot on! Please be of assistance, cause I'm not an expert!

I'll compile some notes and call it: "Hand-raising strayed Baby Mousebirds."

Spike enjoyed its 'breakfast consisting of banana and mulberry mix. :dance4: He has been outdoors in the cage and relaxing in the sun. Now I'm painting a Nile crocodile. My wife calls it 'my-happy-croc' because I haven't done the teeth!:hehe:

Obviously Spike is keen in the act. Making noise, perhaps teasing my croc painting for being too friendly?

Chirp later on a new thread...

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hello Sarel! Welcome to Avian Avenue!
How wonderful you are able to share your life with a sweet mousebird!:heart: Susanne and I were talking last evening about your posts. We would love it if someone from SA would take some photos of wild mousebirds, and the habitat they live in. Is this something you could do?
I would just even love to see some scenery from the area that you live, and learn about the culture around you. I absolutely love learning about different countries and the culture there. I am so happy you found us, and hope you stick around.:hug8:
p.s. Susanne and I were trying to decide if you were a woman or a man by your posts. I said man, Susanne said woman...:lol: We also decided by the way you write, you should read a wonderful old book called Kiki the Mousebird. It is out of print, written in the 60's, but still available.

Sarel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarel de Wet
Hi Carole... well Susanne got it wrong! I'm a boy!

I'll stick around in order to experience the joyride in the neighbourhood.

Indeed, I'll get some photos of MBs in trees and show you the garden and plants.

I've come across the book during my 'research' on the internet. Will like to read it.

Hope Susanne is not too disappointed. LOL Look forward to correspond in the future.

Hang tight!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Well I will look forward to it! If you happen to know what the mousebirds eat in the wild, it would be most helpful. Particularly what leaves they eat? Susanne will not be disappointed. She is a wonderful book of knowledge, and has become a very good friend through this forum.
I get to ride to Ft. Lauderdale from central Florida today to see her!!:dancing::dancing:
Have a great day..or night, as it were.:hug8:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I'll compile some notes and call it: "Hand-raising strayed Baby Mousebirds."
------------------------------------------

Sarel that would be GREAT. You have a nice easy and flowing writing style, so many readers will enjoy what you write and can learn from it. Photos included will also help to show what you use, how you prepare the foods, and other helpful advice for the care of the little ones.

Spike sure is a lucky mousebird to have found you :) You'll have to paint a pix of Spike.

Indeed, I'll get some photos of MBs in trees and show you the garden and plants.
--------------------------------
That would be wonderful to see them in the wild state and learn how they socialize with each other in the wild. And if they have different preferences of foods at different times of the day.

Sarel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarel de Wet
Oh no! I'm so distraught! Our Spike has just died!

I cannot belief it!!!!! It's not torpor.

Spike was alive and resting a few minutes ago! Suddenly he made a few 'peep' sounds and gaped. I hold him and could do absolutely nothing. ! *%#!

What on earth could cause Spike to go??? He was growing so nicely. Had him Monday last week in my care.

I'm very upset.

I've fed him last at 6pm a banana and tomato JUICE mix. I'm absolutely horrified for thinking I'm responsible?

Suzanne any advice or insight. ??

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Oh no Sarel...I am so very sorry.:sad1: How long has it been since the cat was near him?

Sarel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarel de Wet
I've found Spike on Monday, 6 September in the afternoon while it rained and the wind blew all day. He died last night Thursday, 16 September in the evening about 18h40 (10 am US time).

First my attention to noise made me to investigate. Oreo my tuxedo cat struck its paw out to Spike. Oreo displayed a typical inquisitive stance by sitting near Spike. Spike made a racket! Oreo was non aggressive when I approach them. He lifted its tail seeing me coming toward them.

Now Spike could not fell out of any bush or tree nearby the scene. There were no mousebird parents nearby making a commotion. The nearest area of MBs in our yard is further away where MBs often relocate and feed. Some 40 meters!

I suspected Spike was dislodged from his area during the storm. Spike might have walk along the grass area searching for a way back to the nest when Oreo found it. The chances for Oreo to pick him up is good. However during my care there were no puncture wounds or injuries other than the left wing which looked frayed.

Bottom line Oreo had contact. The worst I've seen was a swipe at Spike. More like probing than aggressive strokes.

What makes me feel absolutely terrible is the fact I've fed Spike banana and introduced tomato pulp which I've grounded very fine in the morning. The mixture was banana pulp and the juices of the tomato. This I have introduced with my usual way feeding with a small syringe that takes 1ml. Spike was never forced fed. Spike quickly took a likening to being fed with syringes. After feeding I always rinsed with water and refill.

For now it is important for me to find out what fruit mixture is OK and what quantities for intake is OK. Feeding Spike happened every two ours. Starting at 8am until 19h00. Before sunset Spike had a 'shot' and soaked up the last bits of sun rays.

One thing Spike really enjoyed was sunbathing. It will be periods of 5 minutes seated clutching my hand. Weather wise our Spring is cool conditions with temps 18 celsius degree (64 F) to 24 Celsius (75.2 F). Spike would enjoy a few sips or a meal after sunbathing.

Spike pooped normally. Encouraging him to defecate was not difficult. However, I remember the first time it was green and very slimy. It had a bubble when he defecated the first time in the cage. Afterward his poop become more solidified showing the colour of food Spike ate. For example banana pulp = banana, banana + kiwi = yellow, green, banana + mulberries = dark.

How he died was like affixation. He stirred, making peep noises not long and gaped. I could immediately detect Spike was under stress. It lasted a minute.

What perplexed me was that he was seriously in good health during feeding - all day.

I cannot explain my helplessness ... and really feel that I have failed terribly.

This morning Spike was put to rest so to speak in a special place in the garden. Such a small creature made a huge impact into my life. And you know I really miss Spike.

If anyone have knowledge in taking care of these little one please indicate links for me or teach me more. I'm very certain another Spike might end up in my care. So many friends of mine have taken photos from their cellular phones. Raising a MB is really something unheard of by most South Africans. People were fascinated by the MBs unique characteristics. Who knows when birds may end up on my doorstep.

I'm looking at the feeding stages from nestling - fledgling - juvenile - adult bird. People have to share. I think keeping 'secrets' about recipes is not doing any justice to the birds. Not that I accuse anybody. Far from it. Rather encourage spreading insight and knowledge in order to help people helping MB chicks.

In South Africa, people would rather take care of chicks and release them back into the wild. Even if we can achieve that in South Africa it would be a great thing! Most consider these birds as pests. I did. And Spike changed everything!

I'm not a bird type of guy for pets. But Spike changed that for me.

Hope it helped, but please assist me further in my journey into the feathery world.

Much appreciated

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Sarel, again I am so very sorry for your loss. If you read through most of the threads on this part of the forum{softbill circle} there are lots of discussions between myself, Susanne, and others, about what to feed. Have you looked at Susanne's website about mousebirds?
I am guessing...just complete conjecture....but it is possible the cat killed Spike. A cat has only to touch a bird and it can die. It does not have to bite it. Cat's have a bacteria that is opposite to the type bird's carry, and is deadly to a bird.
Read here~
Cat Bacteria Deadly to Birds
How to Make a Safe Environment for Your Pet Bird - wikiHow
Top Ten Bird Killers

Sarel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarel de Wet
Hi Carole, thanks!

I have read and will continue reading these threads. Again, must say this is a very well organised and caring forum. Thank you for bringing these matters to my attention.

I've visited Susanne's informative website. And will continue to do so.

I'll digest it well and apply it on my next excursion.

I have notice your warning concerning cats for we have four house cats. We love them to bits. Does it mean that no contact what so ever from a cat even a cat blanket can spell disaster? Please respond. For I have used a blanket of a cat to warm Spike's cage! This I did out of total ignorance. Could bacteria spread from such a situation and over time infected Spike or is it only direct contact from a cat?

This insight will help concerning raising MBs in a household with cats. How does cat contamination get to MB chicks? Airborne, directly or indirectly?

Thanks for well wishes. Looking forward from such response.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am not certain how long the bacterium can live on an inanimate object, but better safe than sorry in my opinion. It is super deadly, and only has to get on the bird by whatever means. I would keep all things from the cats away from the bird, and make sure the cage is placed so no swats of the paw can happen at all. I do not believe it is airborne, but must directly get onto the bird. This could happen by you touching the cat, then the bird right after.

Sarel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarel de Wet
Hmm, that explains a lot. I have contact with our cats all the time and it surely had fatal consequences for Spike. :mad: The cat issue by far outweighs the feeding issue to my mind. I am going through the links you've provided in your previous thread. Thanks for that info. Will post something over the weekend concerning Spike.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Another thought is aspiration and food temperature~ Do you understand these two points completely?

Sarel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarel de Wet
I've just finished reading your thread about Top Ten Bird Killers.

Many pointers particularly "Hand-feeding Mistakes" at point 7 elaborates on Aspiration and Food Temperature. These elements discussed grabbed my attention.

FOOD TEMPERATURE:
For one the food preparation was done in the morning and afternoon. None of the fruits were kept in the fridge. I've selected them from the table. However I seriously question my preparation technique - especially in the afternoons.

This is what I have done. Food were mashed and inserted into a bigger syringe, then using the bigger syringe, food is re-injected into smaller syringes. All of it were washed in water without soap. The problem I notice from the notes is the bigger syringe was kept in the fridge since the morning! The smaller syringes in Spikes 'baby bag'! After the morning feeding session, Spike's first feeding in the afternoons came directly from the cold big syringe. Here Spike begged for 2 to 3 (0.5ml) shots of cold food!

The preparation process for the afternoon is repeated when the cold big syringe is used to reload the smaller ones and kept in the bag for the remainder of the afternoon. At least once a day through this process Spike had cold food from the fridge starting of in the afternoons. This could contribute according to the notes "resulting in a slowed down gastrointestinal tract, which can be fatal, if not corrected in time."

Secondly, ASPIRATION.

Spike was not 'force fed', meaning given more than what it wants. However, the nature of substance given to him - more pulp liquid,mainly consisting of banana could also be inhaled while feeding. In such an event according to the notes babies die "immediately" or ""suffering for days, trying desperately to breathe, before it dies." Here I have not picked up any obvious breathing problems other than last night 1 and half hours after Spike was last fed at 5pm. However these pointers seems nerve wrecking stuff, but I'm determined to find out as much as I can before attempting another 'rescue'.

Thirdly, INEXPERIENCE. I can unashamedly admit to being in that category. I feel in a big way responsible for Spikes death, more due to the cats than feeding Spike. Here, inexperience should not deter people from helping strayed birds. Spikes death has actually made me more aware of the challenges raising birds, but mistakes made by myself can be fixed. Just a pity the costs are so high!

In short ... whilst having Spike these pointers were not even common knowledge to me. The excitement and researching other topics concerning feeding and finding out about the species and so forth was more my focus. Every thing I've done was like a passenger doing a crash course flying a plane while the pilots were 'out of action' so to speak! And we somehow crash landed badly with a fatality!

I hereby include the section discussed.

7. Hand-Feeding Mistakes

There is no doubt in my mind that many a baby bird has expired as a result of hand-feeding mishaps. ... So, there is no reason for a baby to be fed by an inexperienced owner.

There are many different things that can go wrong during the hand-rearing process, including feeding formula improperly (mixed incorrectly, stored incorrectly, fed at wrong temperature), delivering the food improperly (dirty utensils, forcing food into the baby resulting in aspiration pneumonia, injuring the mouth or crop with feeding equipment), poor husbandry techniques (keeping the baby at the incorrect temperature, not practicing good hygiene, indiscriminate use of antibiotics), just to mention just a few potential problems.

Most commonly, babies are kept at the incorrect temperature, or the food is fed at too low of a temperature, resulting in a slowed down gastrointestinal tract, which can be fatal, if not corrected in time. If the baby is forced to eat, it may struggle and end up inhaling the baby formula, resulting in aspiration pneumonia. If a large amount of food is inhaled, the baby will die immediately, but if a small amount of food ends up in the respiratory tract, the aspiration pneumonia may result in the baby suffering for days, trying desperately to breathe, before it dies.

Infection is common in hand-feeding babies that are not cared for properly. Bacterial infection, fungal infection and polyoma virus infection are the most common infectious diseases in baby birds, and all can prove fatal.

Hand-feeding is best left up to those with experience.

Sarel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarel de Wet
Hi Everyone

Okay, I'm not going to chat about my loss of Spike. Although I miss Spike very much. I've loaded an 'old' SLR camera with film - yes, it's not digital. :hehe:

I have been invited by some of my friends to take pics of mousebirds in their gardens. All my friends have taken a new keen interest and liking to Mousebirds. :heart: Which is great! Next week I'm off to do some 'shooting'! I'll post them on a thread once film is developed and scanned into my computer. I'll look at MBs feeding and flocking together. The types of vegetation they visit and what they eat. There is a lot of bird activity, since Spring has arrived in SA.:dance4:

Have fun