• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

baby mousebird needs help

TarynV

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Taryn Vlok
Thanks Alet
I'm a bit sceptical of giving pronutro.
I've had him since Friday and he is doing well. Every time he sees me he wants food.
Constantly twitching

Alet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alet
He was very small when I rescued him. Now he is the cutest love of my life. Hope you will have as much joy as I am enjoying with mine.

Rabb.D

Strolling the yard
mousebirds typically eat grime of wood in the northeast of australia and africa, its a form of nutrition that helps the babies with digestion, so your food must always be soft fruits not hard fruits, meaning the fruits has skin rather than shells or thick volume of congested skin with hair, especially do not feed durian it is poisonous to a lot of birds, due to being to high in glucose and fructose, banana is fine and so is papaya due to atypical fruit genus in the menu of soft fruit. for the hourly feeding i think every half hour should be fine and necessary but not less:) good luck and god speed

also on another note just maintain this for three days after which she will be able to eat on a hourly or more basis and starting to lease off of feeding by hand,

oh yeah one more thing the volume is not hard to tell just use common sense

Last edited:

mrVynes

Hi. I got a young mousebird here. The cat caught it.
It doesn't seem to be hurt (flies 2m or so launching from my desk).
The tail is sort of pointing up and I've tried massaging but no poop.
It's not eating either. Trying to feed it mushed banana...
It's been a day already since I wrestled it away from the cat.
Any tips?

Thanks

mrVynes

Okay, it's late afternoon now.
I heard a chirp so I tried again and he actually ate something, but very little - he keeps shaking his head and throwing the food all over the place when I put it in.
He then fell asleep while I was feeding him.
Tried stimulating for a poop... nothing.
Will try again tomorrow.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Alet
Hopefully someone with experience with mousebirds can give you some suggestions. Hope that the little one will be OK. Thank you for helping.

Alet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alet
When I found my little mouse bird he was very small. I did not know what kjnd of bird it was. So I gave him pronutro with a little honey. It saved him and he is now 15 months old. He eats banana every day. Loves apple grapes and cooked pumpkin. Im not an expert but pronutro worked for me. Massaging with slightly wet cloth helped for poop story.

He is a very loveable bird and loves attention. Realy hope your little one will be ok.

mrVynes

Thanks guys/gals.

The bird is doing fine now. Eating like a vacuum cleaner... and pooping all over the place. Grapes did the trick.

Was thinking of letting it go when it is older, but not sure how it would integrate as these birds are very social and he might get rejected... I dunno.

Anyway, he's happy now. Cool bird. Very chill and falls asleep when I rub his belly.

Birdie Onions

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tarryn
Hi there everyone.
So I to also acquired our little mouse bird two days ago.
A friend bought him through to us as he knows we love birds and have hand reared a couple of them. And this little thing lost his mom.
I have named him pawpaw, as this is what he loves eating.
I was wondering what else can I give him, we currently feeding him pawpaw, banana, grapes and purity baby food mixed in.
Plus does anyone know..in his droppings it doesn't look as if the pawpaw is being digested.

Attachments

Alet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alet
This little guy is so cute. When my grandchild visted me a while ago, he loved the extra attention. He threw her pens off the table and was all over her paintings!

Attachments

Jess Berndt

Real Name
Jess Berndt
HI Guys I wonder if you can help me, I saved a baby Mouse bird, mother could not be located etc. therefore I have to take care of it. I have had it for about 5 days, I have been feeding it baby purity thus far. It appears to be a fledgling, it has most of its feathers and is able to hang onto things but not yet fly. I urgently need advice on how to properly care for it, such as feeding etc. Attaching a photo here. Help would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

Alet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alet
Sorry I was absent due to circumstsnces. When I found my little mouse bird 2 years ago I did not know what kind of bird it was and gave him pronutro. Got him through on that but he loves banana grapes pawpaw appels and now eats everything. But I will give you details of someone more profesional soon

Alet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alet
Very important to empty bird of feces prior or after feeding tske a kleenex or your fingertip and message the vent until it poops. When they are hungry they will flatter their wings like they are vibrating. Mousebirds do not have crops like parrots which will hold quantities of food they hold about 1 cc of food at a time. Baby food will do or chop up fruit snd put in his mouth when he begs/open his mouth with tweezer

Alet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alet
Very important to empty the bird if feces.take kleenex or finger tip and message the vent until it poops. Mousebirds do not have crops like parrots which will hold quantitiea of food they only hold sbout 1cc of food st a time. Baby food fruit is good but you can cut fruit in small pieces and when he beggs or open his mouth put in his mouth with tweezer.

Alet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alet
Hi all. Can anybody help me with number or email of Solly I think in Johannesburg or Pretoria SA

Thanks

Alet

Nadz

Hi all. A mousebird fell out the nest and we saved it from our dog. It is not very responsive. It only moves its feet slightly and opens his eyes when I touch him. Dont know for how long it was out of the nest. It was quite cold today here in South Africa. Dont know if its dehydrated. It doesnt want to take food. Please if anyone can give me advice. Thank you.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Aleta
I have no experience with mousebirds but I've sent a "call" out to the member above. Perhaps you can contact a breeder or wildlife rescue or even a vet to give you some advice. Do keep the baby warm, though. Put him/her in a box and put a heating pad under 1/2 of the box. As for feeding I have no idea what to recommend.