• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

baby mousebird needs help

fielies

Moving in
Real Name
Narissa
I think this is a red faced mousebird as this is a wild bird and in this area and the whole of South Africa we only have the red faced, whiteback and speckled mousebirds. And the I'm on the border of the distribution of the whitebacked and I have only seen them once in the backyard. The other two species is quite commen in the yard as we have a few fruit trees that they enjoy. I have mealworms that I used to raise chickens with that I will include in the formula. It is very alert and begg for food every time I'm near the box Im keeping it in. Can I eat more frequently if it keeps begging? or how can I help increase weight gain?

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
My husband, whom was a clinical laboratory supervisor asked me to add the following: Sugars, such as frutose, sucrose, etc. are VERY hydroscopic. They suck the water out of the hosts system, so maintaining fluids in your chicks system is VITAL. Fluids are ESSENTIAL for proper kidney function. Kidneys only have 15% reserve, and liver has 65% reserve of fluid levels. Fluids are more essential than foods. Your chick can last for weeks with fluids (I have dione this with Suq-Q fluids with tiel babies), without foods.

I have learned that apples and some fruits can contain pectins. It is the pectins that draw water, and stimulate peristalic movement in the digestive tract to move wastes out of the body. This is great if the baby is NOT dehydrated, and has digestion issues.

When in doubt, since mousebierds are a species that eats basically fruit, cover you bases and maintain hydration with some type of electrolytes. In a pinch Gatorade can be used.

fielies

Moving in
Real Name
Narissa
And where will I be able to get electolytes?
I will also try to get you guys some pics of some of the wild mousebirds thats often around as I think you would appreciate it?
Today is only the second day since I had it. I got it late evening on the 7th of January.Can it have lost so much weight in only two days?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
What about warmth Susanne?

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
OK...another source of protein is pigeon peas. Can you find them canned in the grocery store (brand with lowest salt content), or do they grow wild there? You can mash out the INSIDE of them (they can not digest the skin) and add 2-3 peas per feeding to the formula. Also find any type of berries they eat in the wild, you can mash (no skins) and add them to the formula.

fielies

Moving in
Real Name
Narissa
I do try to keep it warm with a warmwater bottle wrapped in towels so not to overheat or burn the little thing. Its also been much more noisy and making much louder sounds for the last couple of hours.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
As to electolyes go to the grocery store and look in the human baby food section and see if they have an eletrolyte or Pedialyte (sorry for the mis spelling) Or Gatorade. Also ask a pharmasist what can be used for hydration. Use this for the water to mix the formula. Get a scales to monitor weight gain. Since it is a red-faced baby then you want to see 3-4 grams gain per day. In another week once the tail is out 3" it will start to slow down on weight gain. This is due to lightening up for fledging the nest.

YES...we would love to see pix's of the wild mousebirds, and any info on observations to what they eat, nests, etc.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
What about warmth Susanne?
-------------------------------------

Yes. warmth. At this age the parents are still covering the baby to give it body heat. Just the little tail sticks out.

Carole do you have a digital thermoneter? If so, hold it under Gryphons wing pit to get a reading of body temeperature. (I can't find mine) This can be a quide for the temp to keep the enclosure that the baby is in. As it gets more length to the feathers the temps can be gradually reduced, to about 80 degrees at fledging.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Its also been much more noisy and making much louder sounds for the last couple of hours

What it may be doing it trying to make contact calls to it's parents or flock members. My little one just started doing that when I have it gone from the nest too long. First it starts with a soft chittering and the body feels like it is vibrating, and then it will let out some louder calls, trying to get an answer from the blue-nape flock, and parents.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
OK...I just posted on a mousebird list, with hopes that some of the African members will come and read this thread. One man is a mousebird rehabber, and his experience and advice would be very helpful...

fielies

Moving in
Real Name
Narissa
We dont have pigeon peas in SA. I included some mealworms in the formula just fed and I got hold of some electrolyte mixture that they use for humans that is dehydrated. The temp in the box currently is 37 degrees celsius (or 98.6 Degrees fahreneit). but I'll decrease it a little bit. Dont worry about any spelling. My first language is afrikaans and not english.
Really thank you for all the help. I owe you alot!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
(((HUGS))) You are very welcome.

OK...sorry for the short quick postings. As I am out feeding my mousebirds I think of more things that they will eat. Many of mine love flowers, like Hibiscus. the part they eat first is where the pollen is at. Pollen is very rich in protein. In the wild they also eat leaves, flowers, pollen. If you know what types of leaves and vegatation they eat you can put some in a food proccesor and puree it to add to the formula. Food added from once live sources is rich with enzymes.

Last edited:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
If you observe or know what types of vegetation and fruits, etc they eat in the wild you should be able to do an internet search of the nutrient contents. If you have access to them, and can purree them as additives to the formula this may be alot easier and better assimulated in the digestive tract. Most formulas are composed of grain products, which mousebirds normally do not eat, thus might be problematic in digestion and nutrient absorption for growth. (just thinking aloud here) At this age the digestive tract would have been more accustomed to vegatation and fruit sources. When observing my mousebirds that have babies in the nest they are impatient for some type of greens to feed their babies before they feed anything else. My blue-naped chewed on a a live Noni plant I kept in their flight and fed this first before other foods.

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
Good luck with your little mousebird. They are so fascinating to many of us here.

Ashley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ashley
good luck with the little one and glad you were able to join here...welcome to AA

soulie12000

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barry
Please call me ASAP on 0834434913 Fallen Feathers Avian Rehabilitation Centre
Gauteng with regards to the mousebird , all hours ,

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Narissa...contact Soulie (his contact info in the above post)...he is the BEST person within your country that can help with your little one :) Good luck and keep us posted.

fielies

Moving in
Real Name
Narissa
Thanks alot to all. I did phone Soulie and he was of grest help. I feel much better know and think I am on the right track.
I will keep everyone posted on the progress.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Thanks alot to all. I did phone Soulie and he was of grest help. I feel much better know and think I am on the right track.
I will keep everyone posted on the progress.
------------------------------
Yay!...that is music to my ears. If someone can really help he is the man :)

I just have captive mousebirds, and my suggestions were of things I would do. But Soulie has had hands on experience with LOTS of wild mousebirds.

yes...please keep us updated :)