• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

baby Macaw watery dropings

Status
Not open for further replies.

B&G

Moving in
Hi,

I recently purchased a 4 month old B&G macaw, who is very lovely and playful. He has been eating well since I got him. I noticed that his droppings are a bit watery. some droppings are well shaped (like a small green rope) while most others are not. I feed him Kaytee Exact hand feeding formula. I was told that it is normal for droppings to look like that when the bird is hand fed using a [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]syringe, is that true ?

My macaw already has a vet appointment after few days, but I just want to make sure he is fine.

Thanks,

these are some pictures of the poops he made in the last few hours

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Attachments

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Can you post a photo?

Ginger

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I have found that also...Yes if you can get photo's of the poop would help..also how much per feeding are you giving him /how much does he weigh and are you keeping a record of his weight (having a digital scale is VERY IMPORTANT)...that is one of the very first signs (weight loss) that a bird is starting to have issues...
don't mean to throw out a lot of ?'s but it does help provide us with more information to help you...Is this your first bird with handfeeding???? :hug8:

B&G

Moving in
I don't have a digital scale yet, but I will purchase one soon.

I feed him until he does not want to eat anymore (I never force him to eat), 4 times a day. He eats about 65ml per meal.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
He should be eating 10% of his body weight at each feeding. A scale is of utmost importance.:hug8:65 Ml seems a bit low for a B&G baby. Have you read up on other possible formulas? I like the Zupreem Embrace Plus. I hope your baby is fine.

Last edited:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye

B&G

Moving in
Thanks for the response

I bought a digital scale, and used it this morning when his crop was empty. his weight is 968 grams (10% of that is 96.8 grams)

how much ml per meal he should get ? and is that wight normal for 4 months old B&G ?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
That's an average weight. Give him 10% of his weight each feeding. So about 96.8 ml.

Status
Not open for further replies.