• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby macaw questions

BibaDiba

Moving in
Real Name
Brit
I have never had a macaw before, I do have experience with a lot of smaller birds, cockatiels, budgies, lovebirds and have been really wanting a macaw for several years. So I did loads of research, watched many videos, until we found the most beautiful baby macaw and decided that he's the one. We definitely weren't going to get a smaller "practice bird" first as this seemed unfair, to get a bird we didn't really want in the first place just so we could get used to bigger birds that we do want

On May 7th I finally got my baby bg macaw at 11 weeks old.
The breeder told us to feed him about 90 - 100 cc twice a day (morning and evening) , at first he didn't seem too interested in the feeding but now he's taking it like a champ. This might be because the breeder just forced him to eat? He seems much more comfortable eating now. He isn't quite interested in actually consuming big bird food just yet but likes to nibble and play with chop and pellets.

His weight is quite steady around the 1200, this was quite a shock to me because it seems like a lot? However he seems to be in great shape and it might just be baby fat.

He isn't quite handy yet because he was in a dog crate at the breeder's, just now he's learning to climb, perch properly and play with different textures in his cage. He does sometimes fall over when trying to turn on his perch but also immediately gets up and tries again.

He's also not quite comfortable with hands which is a shame, he will lunge but not bite hard, and I don't quite know how to go around and teach him that's not what he's supposed to do. I want to give him time to adapt but at the same time I want to weigh him and make sure his crop is empty or full enough before and after feedings. For now I distract him with some playtime to feel his crop.
He doesn't take treats yet so training is still quite off the list, he doesn't seem to be amazingly interested in anything award like. For now most of our interactions are feeding, playing around with paper or wood, giving stuff to nibble on, or just sitting by the cage talking to him.

Anyone have any advice on how to make interactions more fun for him? How we should go around rewarding good behavior when he is not yet interested in treats or anything hands on?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
You've had your baby 3 days. Slow down. ;)
He does not know you yet. He may still be a bit afraid and anxious. Was he okay with the breeder's hands?
Is he fully feathered and perching well?
Take your time, make feeding pleasant. Are you knowledgeable on feeding?
Are you aware of the correct temp and consistency for his age?
A macaw has a much stronger feeding response than any small bird. How is your baby's feeding response?
He's also just entering the stage for learning about real food. Most of it will not go into the bird quite yet! :laugh:
He'll play, nibble and learn what he likes and dislikes.
You are in for quite a few months of hand feeding still, so take it slow and ask any questions you may have.
Most baby macaws like to cuddle. Just plop him in your lap with a suitable baby toy and watch TV.
Let him see you're not scary. Earn his trust now while he's young

Last edited:

BibaDiba

Moving in
Real Name
Brit
You've had your baby 3 days. Slow down. ;)
He does not know you yet. He may still be a bit afraid and anxious. Was he okay with the breeder's hands?
HI hi! He wasn't OK with the breeder's hands as she was petting him roughly so he was just falling over, she also told us to give him a little "slap" if he bit us, so I think we know why he may be scared of hands sadly.

Is he fully feathered and perching well?
Take your time, make feeding pleasant. Are you knowledgeable on feeding?
Are you aware of the correct temp and consistency for his age?
A macaw has a much stronger feeding response than any small bird. How is your baby's feeding response?
He's fully feathered and perching great, turning is a bit of a tricky thing still but he's learning fast, he also learned how to climb down. He's definitely fledgling as he's flapping his wings a lot and even gets off the ground the tiniest bit.
I'm happy to say I did my research on feeding and how to feed, as well as the right consistency :D he loves feeding time, that's when he starts making a lot of sound, head bobbing, wing flicking, tail wagging.

He's also just entering the stage for learning about real food. Most of it will not go into the bird quite yet! :laugh:
He'll play, nibble and learn what he likes and dislikes.
You are in for quite a few months of hand feeding still, so take it slow and ask any questions you may have.
Most baby macaws like to cuddle. Just plop him in your lap with a suitable baby toy and watch TV.
Let him see you're not scary. Earn his trust now while he's young
He tried coming out of his cage on his own towards me so I'm thinking he's not as scared as I thought he was? He loves going downstairs and stomping around :laugh: we will definitely try the "plop him in your lap" method

Also added a picture of him being silly :)

Attachments

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
He's a sweetie. :heart:
A little slap? What a terrible thing to say! :mad:
So glad you know that's a horrible idea.
Sounds like he's starting to settle in just fine.
Is that picture of his cage? It looks pretty big in the photo, almost like an aviary.
May I see a whole picture of it? Just curious.

BibaDiba

Moving in
Real Name
Brit
We took your advice and took him out of the cage and he already slept in my lap and even stepped up! Maybe grabbing on a little tight :laugh: ouch!

But yes absolutely! We put cardboard at the bottom so if he does fall it's a bit softer to land on, it's just a bit poopy now :joyful:

Attachments

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Thanks for the pic!
Make sure you pick up some natural perches, and other perching options such as rope perches for your baby. Dowel perches like that are bad for their feet if used long term.
I'm so glad he enjoyed his lap time. :) I wish my 'big' baby still did! He's too dignified these days for that baby stuff. :laugh:

BibaDiba

Moving in
Real Name
Brit
Oh absolutely! We already have some natural wood (willow) , we just need to make them into perches. We also wanted to pick up some good perches at bird stores since the chain pet stores usually don't have them in his size :D sadly these stores are a bit far and ordering them makes me scared I'll get them way too small.
He also started trying and actually consuming some nuts! Also hoping to get the harness in tomorrow so we can show him how super fun that stringy thing is :laugh: