• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby macaw failed first flight

Beakz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Melisa
My baby jaz flew this morning for the first time...into a window I was in the room and left to the kitchen and I guess she wanted to follow me but ended up flying into a window, she has a nasty beak bruise and would tremble every time I put her in the stand for a while (she flew from there) my biggest fear is that she won’t fly again, I’ve heard that when they get hurt so young they become afraid of flying:(
I’ve attached a picture of her bruise.
Has anyone had an experience similar to this? I feel so terrible for her my poor baby

Attachments

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
She will fly again - that's what birds do. If she continues the shaking, see if you can get some metacam for her to reduce any pain she is having.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Poor baby. You just have to keep a good eye on them. I don't have macaws but I watch caiques fledge ever year. It always seems that one of them gets a bruised beak. I keep all the windows and mirrors covered and try to help them by letting them practice when I am there. The more practice the get the faster they learn.

She was probably just as surprised as you were that she got airborne. That first flight is the worst. It seems they have no idea that they need to turn. She will learn though. I don't think there is much that will stop a fledgling from trying to fly.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I actually did the same thing that Mantis64 said. I walked mine around the home, and let them touch each window to see it was solid.
I also stuck some clingy stickies on the windows while mine were fledging to remind them.
Not sure if it helped, but mine never had any bad crashes.

And that little baby is to die for...... :heart:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Just to add to the good advice you've had, keep an eye on your baby's food intake to make sure the bruising is making it hard for your bird to eat. Babies have flying accidents in nature, and they're designed for it. Once she regains her confidence, she'll fly again. When you see her flapping and doing the crouch and poop before take off, encourage her. She'll show you when she's ready.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
She will fly again for sure, it does knock their confidence some but I found with Burt the more I behaved like it was a tragedy or scary the more he was unsure of it and traumatized by it- the times I just carried on like it was not a big scary issue and was just part of normal flying life the faster he got back to practicing. He still does it now, if he crashes for some reason and I am all sympathetic and worried he plays on it or seems to be stressed by it.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Think about human children learning to walk - they take many tumbles! We know that this is a normal part of their development, and that in no time at all they will learn co-ordination and refine this new skill. We also know that if we treat a toddler's fall like it is a tragedy or disaster, the child just gets anxious. Instead we help them up, give them a little reassurance if they need it, and they'll soon forget the whole thing.

Flying is a complex skill that requires a huge amount of co-ordination. Baby birds aren't born with it and need to learn. The best thing you can do is make the environment as safe as possible for her - pay particular attention to windows, mirrors and other reflective surfaces. You probably want to draw the curtains or close the blinds initially, but you can teach a bird that glass is there. Whenever I move to a new place with Leia we walk around with her on my hand and play a game where I knock against the glass with my fingers and encourage her to tap it with her beak. It seems to work pretty well.