• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Macaw Behavior?

RDop

Checking out the neighborhood
hey all,

I am looking at purchasing a macaw who's about 3 months old. I noticed that it is always squawking. Not a scream, but every five seconds, it'll make a noise that is fairly loud. The other baby macaws there don't squawk as much and definitely aren't as loud. I expected a blood curdling screaming type of bird several times a day, but this constant loud noise is a bit frustrating. Is this normal behavior?

thanks!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Do you own this bird already?

Honestly it sounds like a hungry sound, are these babies still being handfed or recently weaned?

To be more honest, if the sound he is making now is irritating to you, this constant loud sound, I would rethink wanting a macaw.

RDop

Do you own this bird already?

Honestly it sounds like a hungry sound, are these babies still being handfed or recently weaned?

To be more honest, if the sound he is making now is irritating to you, this constant loud sound, I would rethink wanting a macaw.
No it's not mine yet. I wanted to vibe with a bird before taking the plunge.

I believe they're in the process of being weaned.

Yeah, I've been feeling like it's not the best choice anymore. I have two parrots already that are fairly noisy, but I didn't have cold feet when I got either of them. I think this is the advice I wanted to hear - thanks!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
If the pet store is weaning them they are probably begging for food. Most members here recommend abundance weaning which is easier on the birds.

At that age they want comfort and love, to be a part of everything. I'm sure being in a pet store is not easy.

Baby macaws are a HUGE handful. ;) You have to be the type of person that gets bothered by nothing. :D

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Also 3 months is way too soon to wean a large macaw.

If you get this baby, he's going to be crying for food. You will have to take on the feeding of a baby that was forced weaned.

Are you up to that? It makes me so sad to know they do this to these awesome birds. That baby is crying because he needs to be fed. How cruel in my opinion.

RDop

Also 3 months is way too soon to wean a large macaw.

If you get this baby, he's going to be crying for food. You will have to take on the feeding of a baby that was forced weaned.

Are you up to that? It makes me so sad to know they do this to these awesome birds. That baby is crying because he needs to be fed. How cruel in my opinion.
I have hand fed birds before. I never forced them to grow up (I'm not so why should they :D). I fully intended to keep hand feeding this little monkey until it decided to be weaned on its own.

RDop

If the pet store is weaning them they are probably begging for food. Most members here recommend abundance weaning which is easier on the birds.

At that age they want comfort and love, to be a part of everything. I'm sure being in a pet store is not easy.

Baby macaws are a HUGE handful. ;) You have to be the type of person that gets bothered by nothing. :D
I figured that's what it was! There's a LOT of competition going on and baby was not fond of some of the other birds there.

Mr Blu

I have a baby macaw... Not sure how old. I kinda stumbled upon him. He/she too makes a sound every few seconds but I know for sure he/she isn't hungry. I figured it's Normal with babies...

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
What kind of macaw is this? Any of the larger macaws won't be ready to be weaned at 3 months. This baby is begging for food and comfort. If he/she was with his parents, they would offer food. It's really not normal to squawk every few seconds - that's a bird that's telling you that it's needs aren't being met. For a healthy, normal baby, you should offer food to begin with. If it goes on, you really need to look into the matter further. Daily weighing is a basic first step for all babies who are weaning. Babies who are begging for food will be less inclined to eat on their own- they need to be full and confident to begin playing with food and eating it. If you get this baby, you will definitely need to hand feed it. Be prepared to hand feed and nurture it every time it begs, even if you don't think it's hungry.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best

Macaws can be babies up to and over a year old. Some will wean themselves at an earlier age (mine at 8 months) others not until over a year.
A baby that is full will still cry for feeding if it's full from real food and not 'hand fed'. It's crying from an emotional need.
If your baby is crying, offer it soft warm (not hot!) food by hand. Warmed applesauce, cooked soft veggies, etc...
If it's crying from needing a handfeeding you'll see a difference, and it will bob for the warm food in most cases.

Many young macaws are sold that are not fully weaned. This causes emotional and behavioral stress down the road.
Feed a crying baby, even a big older baby.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
but I know for sure he/she isn't hungry. I figured it's Normal with babies...
Can you elaborate on why you know for sure he isn't hungry? Is he hand-feeding? How much and how many times a day? How much does the bird weigh?

saifhussai

Real Name
Saif Hussain
I have been going through this as well as soon as my macaw is out of the cage he does this nonstop. This baby squawking behavior with wings kind of flapping.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have been going through this as well as soon as my macaw is out of the cage he does this nonstop. This baby squawking behavior with wings kind of flapping.
This is a fairly old thread. It would be a good idea to start a new thread of your own for some advice and help. A baby shouldn’t beg for food non stop… how old is your baby and what is it being fed?

saifhussai

Real Name
Saif Hussain
He is 3 years old eats pellets fruits and veggies and treats here and there. He also totally stopped saying the words he used to say. I’m not sure what’s going on. I asked the vet as well but got no answer

saifhussai

Real Name
Saif Hussain

Figured it out. This is the issue I guess.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Figured it out. This is the issue I guess.
If you start your own new thread about what is happening you will have some very experienced macaw owners who will chime in to give you help and advice.
As this thread is so old many members simply won’t see your posts here in this thread.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Seeing this behavior in a 3 year old that is fully weaned, I doubt is from over cuddling as a baby.
Has your macaw had any scares lately?
Sometimes insecurity, fear, or anxiousness may cause an adult to revert to baby behaviors.
Are you sure there is no medical reasons? That is what I would check first.
I'd make sure nothing is frightening him, such as a hawk outside the window.
I'd offer some warm soft food by hand or spoon (scrambled eggs, warm applesauce, etc) and see if this soothes him a bit. It may just be he's needing some reassurance.
If you can video the behavior, members may be able to offer more advice.