• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

baby lovies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kandiland

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi my name is Kandi andI have 3 baby lovebirds the oldest is a week as of sat. My question is the last two are not as big a the first one it is about twice the size as the other two should i be worried i have only hand feed for a short time with a gcc ( like maybe a week so i dont think that is considered handfeeding) but i am taking the babies to a person that does handfeed birds when they are 3 weeks but do i need to get with him now and maybe supplement some or will they be ok
All input would be greatly apperaciated
Thanks
Kandi

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
They lay eggs 1 or 2 days apart - meaning that the oldest baby is probably close to twice the age of the youngest right now. Size difference is normal, although the younger babies should catch up by weaning age.
Best thing to do is just check in and make sure the younger ones have full crops most of the time and are growing and developing; if the parents are caring for them, the size difference is nothing to worry about at their age.
Sometimes there really will be a runt or weaker chick that does not beg enough and the parents will not feed them enough, and then supplemental handfeeding may be necessary - you should have the handfeeder show you what to do before attempting to yourself though.

Status
Not open for further replies.