• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Lovie screaming

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Hi,
I got Wally and Eva when they were around 24 days old and she was 18 days (different clutches). He was larger and more developed, he could walk and preen, new a few sounds. She was a little slower, and didn’t know how to do much besides plop. She had to learn to stand up properly, walk, and find her voice. But when she did, oh boy! Wally makes these sweet little sounds, he’s got an array down now. But she seems to have one note, which is scream squawking. Now, I get the wanting the attention or being hungry but this little girl screams for about 5-10 min after being fed. She is VERY needy to Wally and sometimes when he is excitedly exploring or running around, she will scream and try to corner him to cuddle. He will go back and try to “feed her” or comfort her and he looks like a mix between slight annoyance haha, a bit of concern but definitely confused. I don’t feel as if she is unhappy or stressed. I noticed that before he was able to make a variety of sounds, he just stuck to a screech as well. Maybe we need to wait for her to outgrow? I know many people who’s birds are a few years old and still do that. I’m not so bothered by it myself, I’m aware they are noisy, but I don’t want her to stress and I don’t want him to stress. Again, this is after she is fed and happy and sleepy. She doesn’t even seem to know these noises are coming out haha like she is just in a squawk trance. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I should also mention that they are spending their last day in their smaller tank and going into their official big bird cage tomorrow. I just had to wait until she could learn to grip without falling over, she was particular clumsy. So up til now, they have been sleeping a lot with no real stimulation. Their curiosity just peaked 2 days ago so off they go! That still doesn’t change the fact that she screeches for about 5 min straight after she is fed, preening, and sleepy.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
they are spending their last day in their smaller tank and going into their official big bird cage tomorrow.
Was your profile picture recent? The yellow bird is too young to be in a cage. Best keep them in the brooder a little longer until all the feathers are grown and preened open so they can control their own body temp.

That still doesn’t change the fact that she screeches for about 5 min straight after she is fed, preening, and sleepy.
A few of mine would do those raspy squawks after being fed, they would literally snuggle and do the noise until they fell asleep :rolleyes:

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Was your profile picture recent? The yellow bird is too young to be in a cage. Best keep them in the brooder a little longer until all the feathers are grown and preened open so they can control their own body temp.

A few of mine would do those raspy squawks after being fed, they would literally snuggle and do the noise until they fell asleep :rolleyes:
Yes, they’ve only been with me 11 days and that pic was day 8 haha. I’m so glad you said that about the cage. Right now they are in a small tank that i keep warm and snuggly. I wasn’t comfortable putting them in the cage for the reason you mentioned and also because she just didn’t seem too sure of herself and I didn’t want to rush her. However, this little monster has changed so much in the last 2 days and when I come in, she climbs rapid speed and is like desperately trying to get out and get to me. I’m shocked cus she’s always been a bit slow to grow, but it’s like something just switched on and she’s just as capable as Wally now. I got the cage and was planning on setting it up and moving them in 3 weeks. He would be 8 weeks and she would be 7 weeks old. I thought she might’ve need the extra time but she is just so bossy and it’s hard to contain her in the little tank. I will wait for sure, as we all can take an extra few days to get our confidence up thanks so much

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Happy to say that Eva, who’s vocalizations consisted of mostly the squawk screaming has added some new tones. She has learned how to cheep and chirp although it sounds like she’s concentrating on using her “inside voice” hahaha. Wally makes the cutest sweetest sounds especially when he’s cuddling with me. But her voice is very hoarse and much louder. It’s funny to hear such a noise come out of this little thing. She still screams for a while after eating. We all try to create a peaceful place and calm her down but she doesn’t seem to be distraught or anything. No pacing, biting, puffing, shying away. She just sits in your hand (her choice) or close to you and yells. Anyone else’s lovies do this?

DORIS123

Strolling the yard
Lovebirds are loud. But i think they get quiet after they grew up. For my lovebirds, they are less loud when they have something to do, when they are engaged. They are loud but they dont make noise constantly unless they are trying to locate each other or me. Get them plenty of toys, this is the key!!!!! They will be nice and quiet, still a bit noise, but they are bearable.