• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

baby lovebirds

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbtigger1401

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
lynn
well the youngest hatched 12-10
then the whiteish hatche 12-7
then the biggest darkest hatched 12-3
the second lil one has splay leg :confused:
not sure what i can do for him/her
i feel really bad i thought they had thier nest perfect like usual
this is thier 2nd clutch with me so im still new to this,
can anyone help me with this lil birdie
i feel so bad for him
i have a video of him and the rest i am pulling them this week to hand feed and i feel so horrible for the lil splay leg
as i know he wont be able to perch or anything like that or have a normal lovie life of climbimd and clowning around
i guess he is staying unless i can find someone that wants a disabled birdie that will probaly be great for loving on and carrying around
he will be special birdie

hbtigger1401

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
lynn
btw as soon as utube lets me upload the video it will be pasted here

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
the second lil one has splay leg :confused:

i feel so bad for him

as i know he wont be able to perch or anything like that or have a normal lovie life of climbimd and clowning around
i guess he is staying unless i can find someone that wants a disabled birdie that will probaly be great for loving on and carrying around
he will be special birdie
My Fischer's lovie, Johari, has splayed legs due to metabolic bone disease. I chose to keep her, even though the breeder offered to take her back The Vet told me that there was no reason she couldn't be a perfectly good pet, even if she would never "run any races". Well, she does just fine! She likes to perch on her boing & on the forked end of a manzanita branch. Her feet tend to slide on some surfaces but she just pulls them back together. And she has the cutest little walk :) The vet calls her "a little cowgirl" cause of her waddle, with the occasional little hop. By using vet wrap, varied perches, a shelf perch, I no longer think of her as "disabled". I finally got a video of her walk yesterday & will post it later, once I get it uploaded. Here is a picture I already have on my computer. I don't think the quality of her life is at all inferior :)

Note: Johari's legs couldn't be fixed the way Baby's were because hers are due to the structure of her bones, not the joints. But she still is a happy little birdie. Hopefully you will be able to improve your baby's legs.

Attachments

Last edited:

hbtigger1401

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
lynn
thank you so much suncoast im going out right now to get those, i dont wear much makeup so im going now to get them , that is awesome as i see a lil of it also int he tiniest love bird baby too so im pulling them today and getting them started on it,
dont think im gonna let momma and daddy breed for awhile after this

hbtigger1401

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
lynn
soon as i get the video up loaded it looks horrible one leg goes front and one goes back, im calling vet as well to see if he can see them today or tomorrow,
im new tot his breeding lovies and i sure dont want to breed bad birdies
like that

vmorrison

Meeting neighbors
Are you 100% sure that this baby has splay legs (dislocated hip joints)? Baby lovebirds have heavy bodies and can't stand/walk until they are about 3 weeks old. Check by laying the baby in the palm of your hand, on its back, and don't restrain the legs. If the legs kick up and down, the hips are not dislocated and no treatment is necessary. If they kick out to the sides, the legs will need to be hobbled so that the hips can heal in proper position.

I've used the sponge method and I dislike it because babies can wiggle out of the slits in the sponge and you have to start again. My avian vet uses vet tape (tape that will stick to itself) and it remains in place for a minimum of 14 days, depending on the age of the baby. Older babies take longer for the joints to heal properly.

hbtigger1401

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
lynn
YouTube - baby lovebirds video 001.AVI

here is the video dont turn up your speakers lol youll hear me and my bf talking and my mom as im trying to explain it to them and it just sucks,
plus i have a cold and i sound crappy lol
(kids and bf is in back ground playing also phone rings)

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Aww, what a bunch of cuties. I am bumping this up so someone else can help. Or maybe you can start a new thread specifically titled Splay legged Baby Lovie.. Need Help.

Ginger

Status
Not open for further replies.