• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Lovebirds

cgardiner

Moving in
Real Name
Carrie
Hello. I have 4 four week old lovebirds and they all have bald spots. Wondering if anyone knows what would cause this.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Parents are probably plucking them.

@Zara

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Carrie :)

Parents are probably plucking them.
That is likely, or even siblings plucking siblings - a little rare but it does happen.

Do you have a picture?

cgardiner

Moving in
Real Name
Carrie
I don't have a picture right now, but I will take one and post it. Is there a reason why parents would do this? This is the first time I've seen this, they've had babies 4 times.

cgardiner

Moving in
Real Name
Carrie
Yes. Back to back. When hatchlings were 6 weeks old, she was laying eggs again each time.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Yes. Back to back. When hatchlings were 6 weeks old, she was laying eggs again each time.
I think you may need to seperate them as that cannot be healthy for her and very draining @Zara what do you think?

cgardiner

Moving in
Real Name
Carrie
This is one baby, but others are pretty much the same

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
That looks really quite bad. If you have formula and have the knowledge, I think you may need to take them for hand feeding.

I have no lovebird or hand raising experience so @Zara is the best one for those two.

Please don't do anything that I said above unless you have the experience and other members can suggest ideas.

cgardiner

Moving in
Real Name
Carrie
That looks really quite bad. If you have formula and have the knowledge, I think you may need to take them for hand feeding.

I have no lovebird or hand raising experience so @Zara is the best one for those two.

Please don't do anything that I said above unless you have the experience and other members can suggest ideas.
I was thinking the same because I've never seen this previously.

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I was thinking the same because I've never seen this previously.
Have you done it before or do you know how to? 4 at once is a big challenge if it is your first time.

Last edited:

cgardiner

Moving in
Real Name
Carrie
Have you done it before or do you know how to? 4 at once is a big challenge if it is your first time
I've not done it before. Perhaps someone can give direction? I feel as though they definitely need to be removed from parents though before they hurt them any more?

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I've not done it before. Perhaps someone can give direction? I feel as though they definitely need to be removed from parents though before they hurt them any more?
There are plenty of threads here, including a recent lovebird one. I'll find it

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Here it is. @Zara has posted most of the information here

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Could you have a little look at your dates again for the chicks. When did they hatch? The bird in the photo looks to be a little older than 4 weeks.

Yes, that plucking is definitely by the parents or sibling. Separate the chicks immediately into a brooder. As for feather growth, if the follicales are not damaged the feathers should grow back fine in a few weeks.

Allowing those parent birds to breed 5 times in a row is too much. The best amount is 2 clutches per year to give the parents a rest.

@Ali thanks for sharing the handfeeding link ;)

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
@Ali thanks for sharing the handfeeding link
I'm glad I said the right thing! Just wanted an experienced person to cement my comment in place (does that make sense? I don't think so)

I think you posted it in the hand feeding thread but so it is direct....

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I've not done it before. Perhaps someone can give direction?
Prepare the formula using the instructions from that specific brand. And serve it on a metal spoon for your birds, they should be ok eating it and it is less risk for you. Be sure to clean the bird after feeding them because the formula dries like plaster and is quite a pain to get off at a later time.
They should be eating 2 or 3 times a day (10% of their body weight during each feeding). Also, now is weaning time, so be sure to offer millet, pellets veggies etc right after feeding (this is when they will be the most likely to try something new) and throughout the day.

As for the brooder, a simple critter carrier with wood shavings in the bottom will do. You won´t need a heat pad unless it is cold in your home.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
You won´t need a heat pad unless it is cold in your home.
Are you in Canada? Is it cold there or is that just a 'myth'?

Edit... that sounds random and out of place but I ask because of temperature like Zara said.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Also, before I forget. Be sure to give the parents a break. At least 6 months.

Take the chicks today.
Remove the nest box, or whatever they are nesting inside. Be sure there are no snuggle huts, beds, nooks, platforms etc
Muddle up the cage; move all the perches and toys around, move the food and water bowls, everything.
Introduce a new toy.
Remove shreddables.
If you can, move the cage too, though this is not an option for most.
Put them on a 12/12 cycle. 12 hours daylight (actual daylight, if is is not sunny where you are, maybe you could buy a lamp), 12 hours covered to sleep.
Introduce foraging. Be sure there are lots of foraging activities available, you can use this as the main way for the birds to get their seed instead of having an open buffet for easy eating.
Be sure they are getting daily flight time.

Every 2 weeks, muddle up the cage again, move perches, toys, food and water bowls.

If eggs appear, boil, allow to cool and then put back where you found it.