• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby lovebird

Ethel Hall

Moving in
Real Name
Wajiha noor
My baby lovebird is only 20 days old. And he cant see anything. He can only response to my voice. Is it normal??? For a bby lovebird to be blind bc he is only 20 days old
His 2 brothers are older the him and they can see everything

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
For a bby lovebird to be blind
They have red eyes.
Could be Lutino or Australian cinnamon or some other mutation.

And he cant see anything. He can only response to my voice
Chicks do seem to shuffle around aimlessly when very young. They will usually return to the huddle of the clutch though.

Ethel Hall

Moving in
Real Name
Wajiha noor
They have red eyes.
Could be Lutino or Australian cinnamon or some other mutation.

Chicks do seem to shuffle around aimlessly when very young. They will usually return to the huddle of the clutch though.
But why dont they see anything in 20 days old age. Baby budgies see from beginning

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
But why dont they see anything in 20 days old age. Baby budgies see from beginning
They usually do. How are you certain that this bird does not? Birds with red eyes can be more sensitive to light than those with normal black eyes.

Ethel Hall

Moving in
Real Name
Wajiha noor
They usually do. How are you certain that this bird does not? Birds with red eyes can be more sensitive to light than those with normal black eyes.
I dont get what'sthe problem. I mean he is 21 days old now. He looks only like a week old. No proper feathers. I searched on Googlee that how does a 21 old days lovebird look. And the pictures came with with very feathers like a lot of feathers. look ththe pic which I attached. And also i am very certainhe cant see. He comes to me only when I call him. He cant see if I am feeding him formulaa. When Itouch spoon on his mouth then he realises.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He looks only like a week old.
He definitely doesn´t look a week old. Lovebirds will have their eyes closed at 1 week old and barely be able to lift their head. They are very small at 1 week old.

And also i am very certainhe cant see. He comes to me only when I call him. He cant see if I am feeding him formulaa. When Itouch spoon on his mouth then he realises.
My lovebirds when they looked like this were still learning my voice. Most were fed by their parents, I fed one at such a young age and she didn´t come when I spoke to her, I had to pick her up. Couple that with your bird having red eyes, their eye sight will not be as good as other chicks with black eyes. Some lovebirds that hatch with red eyes will turn black with age, others will stay, it depends on the mutation your bird has.
Just try to remain patient while they are growing.

I searched on Googlee that how does a 21 old days lovebird look. And the pictures came with with very feathers like a lot of feathers.
This will come down to the breeding conditions as well as clutch size. Some birds will look older, and some younger.
I compared two clutches of my chicks and found that while some were starting to grow feathers, and clear pin feathers were visible on their flights, other chicks in previous clutches were more like your birds and no pin feathers at all at the same age.

Here are some of my chicks at 20 days old (they are grey looking because my birds are *blue), you can see no pins at all growing in the wing. These hatched at Christmas, so this was early January;

Different clutch, a few years later, in February, quite a visible difference, lots of feathers and pin feathers, nice plump healthy looking chicks;

So I wouldn´t worry too much about what they should look like. As long as they are eating and gaining weight daily, everything is going well. Your chick does look quite scrawny, so be sure to monitor weight.

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Do you have a pic of the Parents?

Inos (birds with the Ino mutation - Albino, Creamino, Lutino), Are genetically weaker birds. Certain pairing of birds can strengthen the mutation, while other pairings can make it worse, often with the babies dying before weaning.

Are you exposing the baby to bright light? That could be causing this baby not to see. When I moved houses a while back I was carrying my birds in carriers from the old house to the car and the second I stepped outside on a bright day, my Lutino Peachfaced fell from the perch and was rolling around on the cage floor. I freaked thinking she went into shock and was going to die. I took her back in the house and after a few moments she was normal. It only took me a moment to realize what had happened as she was the only Ino I had taken out at that time. That immediate change in light basically did blind her, theirs eyes are much more sensitive to light than normal. I moved her with a towel over the top of the cage and she was fine then.

Ethel Hall

Moving in
Real Name
Wajiha noor

Inos (birds with the Ino mutation - Albino, Creamino, Lutino), Are genetically weaker birds. Certain pairing of birds can strengthen the mutation, while other pairings can make it worse, often with the babies dying before weaning.

Are you exposing the baby to bright light? That could be causing this baby not to see. When I moved houses a while back I was carrying my birds in carriers from the old house to the car and the second I stepped outside on a bright day, my Lutino Peachfaced fell from the perch and was rolling around on the cage floor. I freaked thinking she went into shock and was going to die. I took her back in the house and after a few moments she was normal. It only took me a moment to realize what had happened as she was the only Ino I had taken out at that time. That immediate change in light basically did blind her, theirs eyes are much more sensitive to light than normal. I moved her with a towel over the top of the cage and she was fine then.
Well ok I got everything. Thank u for explanation <3

Ethel Hall

Moving in
Real Name
Wajiha noor

I am not like umm properly exposing him to light. He stays in his dark home which I made in my room. When its feeding time then i take him out. My bulb is on and he doesnt get irritated , he stands like a good boy

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
How’s ur baby bird doing ?

Ethel Hall

Moving in
Real Name
Wajiha noor
How’s ur baby bird doing ?
He is very good now. He has some yellow feathers. And lives with his brother in my room. Cause the lovebirds only feed the oldest lovebird not the 2 which I have. Do u wanna see him and his brother? =D

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
He is very good now. He has some yellow feathers. And lives with his brother in my room. Cause the lovebirds only feed the oldest lovebird not the 2 which I have. Do u wanna see him and his brother? =D
Oh yes would love to