• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby lovebird refuses formula

Greepaly

Moving in
My 5 week old lovebird won't eat baby formula anymore. She was eating it for the past 2 weeks with no issues but now she'll just vomit it out and won't eat more than 2 drops. She'll only eat bananas and apples (haven't tried anything else). Can someone please explain what's going on? I took her to the vet and they gave me antibiotics but she doesn't look sick. She's very active and jumps around in her cage. Please help!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am sorry this little one is not doing well. How much experience do you have with raising baby birds? This will help our members out so they can advise.

@Laurul Feather Cat

Greepaly

Moving in
This is my first time raising a baby lovebird. But I have had experience with other birds.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Our members that can help should be along soon.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Happynme

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Its possible shes self weaning if she keeps other foods down just fine. Have you introduced any seed or other veggies and fruit? They usually dont wean fully that early but it wouldnt be completely unheard of. Did they check her crop to be sure it is filling and emptying correctly. The crop can also become "soured" i believe is the term. Personally id try a different formula and introduce millet and other vegg and fruit and if she eats any and keeps it in..id let her be and go ahead and introduce her to what her staple diet will be. But if she spits it all out and still refuses food back to the vet. They go downhill quick.
Also how often are you feeding her. What brand. What temp....ect.

Last edited:

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Also are you sure of her age. She shouldnt have been pulled from parents until at least 4 weeks. If she is only 5 weeks and youve had her 2 weeks ..that means she was pulled at 3. Thats worrisome to me.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Your lovie could be self weaning. Provide seeds, especially on the floor, and any other kinds of food she will eat. If she refuses formula, and she is eating everything else, just take her to the vet for a check up.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
If you have been handfeeding her you probably can tell when she has food in her crop and when she does not.

Is she filling her crop with others foods? How many feedings a day are you offering her? What is the temperature of the food? Is she fully feathered yet? Are you keeping her warm?

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Hope your lovebird is doing better.

Greepaly

Moving in
Its possible shes self weaning if she keeps other foods down just fine. Have you introduced any seed or other veggies and fruit? They usually dont wean fully that early but it wouldnt be completely unheard of. Did they check her crop to be sure it is filling and emptying correctly. The crop can also become "soured" i believe is the term. Personally id try a different formula and introduce millet and other vegg and fruit and if she eats any and keeps it in..id let her be and go ahead and introduce her to what her staple diet will be. But if she spits it all out and still refuses food back to the vet. They go downhill quick.
Also how often are you feeding her. What brand. What temp....ect.
Im not really sure of the age but she wasn't fully feathered when I got her and now she is. I havent tried any seeds yet, im worried she'll get one stuck in her throat. But I don't think she's capable of eating anything hard. I feed her around 4 times a day and I keep everything warm. I have been feeding her Apples and bananas only and im worried thats not enough for her diet.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Start seed right away. Chicks have an instinct to pick up seed shaped things off the floor of their habitat. She will not choke if she is already eating fruit.

Greepaly

Moving in
Start seed right away. Chicks have an instinct to pick up seed shaped things off the floor of their habitat. She will not choke if she is already eating fruit.
I just introduced her to some seeds and no luck. She won't even look at them. Even when i put one next to her mouth, she'll just nibble and spit it out. Also i forgot to mention, she wont eat on her own. I still have to handfeed her the fruits and i make them very soft so she can eat them.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Im not really sure of the age but she wasn't fully feathered when I got her and now she is. I havent tried any seeds yet, im worried she'll get one stuck in her throat. But I don't think she's capable of eating anything hard. I feed her around 4 times a day and I keep everything warm. I have been feeding her Apples and bananas only and im worried thats not enough for her diet.
Can you attach a picture to the thread? At that age, you can determine age fairly well by visual inspection.

You can also try moistened pellets if you're worried about hardness. Though, as has been mentioned, sprinkling seeds and pellets for her to pick up should be fine as is. She shouldn't choke.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I just introduced her to some seeds and no luck. She won't even look at them. Even when i put one next to her mouth, she'll just nibble and spit it out. Also i forgot to mention, she wont eat on her own. I still have to handfeed her the fruits and i make them very soft so she can eat them.
Could you try putting some millet into the fruit? What about vegetables?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can get some organic baby applesauce and add a small amount to the formula.
Offer her fruits, veggies (cooked might be better right now), pellets and millet. Consider offering her cheerios. Cheerios are easy to pick and babies are generally interested in them.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
5 weeks would be about right based on that pic. How is she going?

Greepaly

Moving in
She seems to be doing fine. Whenever I keep her in her cage she starts chirping and jumping around trying to get out and when she's out she jumps on my shoulder and gets all puffy and cuddly.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Have you tried mixing the other veggies into her food yet?