• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby lovebird questions - please help! :)

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Hi everyone!

So my lovebirds (in an aviary) had two babies. They are now 5 weeks old (turning 6 weeks old on monday & tuesday), and they are VERY curious about exploring 'the outside world'. These are parent-raised birds, but I'm handling them daily :). But they keep on sticking their heads out of the nesting box and getting extremely interested about popping outside! But I'm pretty sure that they are way too young! I just don't want them to climb out, sit on a perch, fall, and not be able to catch themselves. I don't want them to get hurt, so how can I stop them from 'running away'? Should I put a little net underneath the nesting box (not exactly that, obviously, because they would get tangled in it, but something similar to that), or should I put padding on the ground, or what? Please give me any tips!!
Or maybe I'm over-worrying, and they're big enough to start exploring! Please let me know what you guys thing!!

p.s. There are 2 mama lovebirds raising the babies (long story short - we lost the father, so another female 'adopted' them). The true mother (mango) is shoving sticks in the hole of the nesting box to stop the babies from exploring, but that stops the slightly disabled (bad wing) other mama bird (ginger) from being able to go in. Ginger is the one who sat on the eggs and babies and does most of the care-taking. I pulled the sticks out so she can get in, but should I put them back? Thank you!!

Have a great day! :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
At the age you say, they should be fully feathered.
I wouldn´t worry about it. Maybe check in before bed and if you see them on the floor unable to get back up, give them a boost back to the nest.

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Ok, great! Yes, they are completely feathered, and Kiwi (the older one) is already starting to fly!! (from my hand to a perch!!!) I'm glad that I don't need to worry about it too much! Thank you!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It is unlikely they will leave the nest until they are ready, but if they did fall out they will be fine during the day.