• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Baby Lovebird Help !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
No, don't clip him. Food independence comes with fledging. Just make sure you keep the ceiling fans OFF and at least 2 door's closed between him and the outside at all times.

Ginger

mangocrayons

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Aila
Thank you Ginger ! I'll make sure of closed doors, luckily I don't have any ceiling fans. I have one last question, my lovie always wants to come out of his cage as soon as he sees me. He climbs everything just to get to me and tries opening the door himself. I let him out twice already for around an hour each. Should I ignore this or should I let him out ? Is he not gettig enough time outside the cage or should I add something else to the cage to make it more interesting to explore ? Thank you ! I had lots of questions and when I thought they'd finished I thought of another one :) thank you againand I hope everyone is enjoying their day and their birds !

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
You dont want to give your Lovie more attention now then you can continue to give. What I mean is if you are letting her out all the time now and then when the newness wears off and start to maybe not let her out as much you are going to have a cranky Lovie on your hands. :lol: She will need some different toys, different texture perches to keep her busy. You can give her ambient attention as well. By that I mean just being in the room with her but not actually holding her. You can sit with her and watch TV or read or sing to her and she will like that. She needs to learn how to entertain herself. You can work on things as you go along. Maybe eventually you can get her a little playstand and she can spend some time on that too. :)

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Well I have a different opinion than Pat. Your Lovie is a baby. Baby's need their parronts, your her flock. If you ignore her now while she's an infant she will grow up insecure. You don't need to let her out all the time, but you do need to talk to her, praise her, sing to her, and be with her. I suggest setting up a schedule like you would be doing if you were in school, out in the morning as much as you can and then out again around 3ish when you get back for awhile, back in for dinner, and then out again before bed time. Birds should be exposed to dawn and dusk if possible, it set's their internal clock. My Lovies have lights out as soon as it starts getting dark so they can get themselves ready for bed. Your little one should also be put to sleep someplace where she can get enough dark and quiet time. Not in a busy area where people are coming and going and the TV is blaring.

Ginger

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I didnt say IGNORE Ginger. I am just saying the amount of attention given now should stay somewhat consistent so she doesnt expect to be out and on her all the time. We all know that birds can easily become too dependent with constant human attention and then when it doesnt happen, the screaming unhappy bird emerges. I am suggesting ambient as well as hands on.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Sorry Pat, I guess it's the wording "don't spend any more time than you will ever be able to give" that makes me uncomfortable. Everybody's lives are in constant flux and there WIILL be times you can spend more time and times when it will be less. What I meant to convey is that I think babies need lots of attention so that they know you are there for them. If they know that their needs will be met it gives them a better opportunity to grow up to be secure independent adults. Also Lovies need to be handled everyday to keep them tame. That doesn't mean 24/7 cuddling though. They are smart little booger's and love to be made over, and you can spend some of your time together teaching them to step up, recall training, turn around, and even to wave.

Ginger

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I agree babies need attention. But if you are walking around 24/7 holding your baby and then stop, you are not going to have a happy well adjusted bird that knows how to occupy itself. You're reading too much into what I said. I do agree with you to a point but I disagree with your intrepretation of what I said. :hug8:Still love ya..:heart:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Ditto. I'm a little frazzled today. We had a bear, YES A BEAR, as in black bear, under our lanai tonight.

Ginger

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Ditto. I'm a little frazzled today. We had a bear, YES A BEAR, as in black bear, under our lanai tonight.

Ginger
:hug8: I saw that Ginger. You sure have your share of wildlife where you live!

mangocrayons

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Aila
Thank you pat, Ginger and Kimberly. Your advice really helped me. It's around 9:30 pm here and my lovie is fluffed up and sleeping on the highest rope perch I have. I'm excited to see how the third day goes. I've been monitoring him and all looks well !

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Thank you pat, Ginger and Kimberly. Your advice really helped me. It's around 9:30 pm here and my lovie is fluffed up and sleeping on the highest rope perch I have. I'm excited to see how the third day goes. I've been monitoring him and all looks well !
Aww sounds cute! Your Lovie needs about 9-12 hours of sleep so make sure you tuck him in early and give him a quiet place to sleep. Things seem to be going well. Hope you have a good night. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.