• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

baby lovebird help

newbirds

Meeting neighbors
hi everyone

i just got a week (?) old lovebird and I have some questions

1 - I accidently made too much formula, is covering it and putting it in the fridge and then reheating it okay?

2 - can i let him out of his brooder so he can walk around? supervised of course.

3 - how often do i have to feed him? the breeder said i feed him 3 times a day, morning, afternoon, and night. but when i searched it up it said 2-3 hours so im confused

thats all, also heres a picture of him (i live a minutes walk away from the breeder so he just put the bird in a bag and when i reached home i put him in the brooder)

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Gosh- I really do not like reading about breeders who are irresponsible and do this, it is not in the babies best interest to be sent home with you at this stage. Any chance the breeder will take the baby back until it is fully grown and actually weaned?

Saving/reheating formula.. No it is most certainly not safe to reuse and reheat pre made formula, formula needs to be made fresh for each meal. It will grow bacteria very fast which can make your bird extremely sick very easily- you need to use properly cleaned equipment and fresh powder/water for each and every feed. Throw left over food away after each feeding.

Your baby needs to be kept at the right temperature so it can digest its food properly and grow well- best to leave it in the brooder.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Let's see - throw the extra formula away. I never reheat the formula or use it for another meal. Once mixed, it has a short shelf life, so I've always tried to make just what I need and throw out the extra. Reheating it can burn it, or if you use a microwave you can end up with hot spots in the formula and you might feed that to the chick giving it a bad internal burn. Birds that aren't fully feathered can have difficulty maintaining their own body temperature. It's best to leave them in the brooder until they are closer to being fully feathered. That little one looks older than 1 week. For now, I would feed it at least 4 times a day, more if it cries for it. If you notice it doesn't want to be fed or is slow to accept the feeding, then remove one of the afternoon feedings and spread the others out.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
1 - I accidently made too much formula, is covering it and putting it in the fridge and then reheating it okay?
Never.
Leftovers must be discarded. Formula must be made fresh every single time.

2 - can i let him out of his brooder so he can walk around? supervised of course.
No. Too young. They must remain inside the brooder until fully feathered. Approx 4 weeks old.

3 - how often do i have to feed him? the breeder said i feed him 3 times a day, morning, afternoon, and night. but when i searched it up it said 2-3 hours so im confused
Given the age, about 5 times per day.
Weight your bird in the morning when the crop is empty, then feed the bird 10% of their body weight each feeding. For eg, a 25g bird will be fed 2.5CC. When the crop is almost empty, feed again. Always keep a little food in the crop except one time at night, you must allow the crop to fully empty. In the morning when the crop is completetly empty, weigh the bird again (he/she will weigh more, so the feeding amount must be altered daily).
Keep in mind that at the age of your bird, they must be fed through the night.

thats all, also heres a picture of him (i live a minutes walk away from the breeder so he just put the bird in a bag and when i reached home i put him in the brooder)
Putting a baby bird in a bag is awful. Even if they live next door. A cardboard box (even a shoebox) or critter carrier should have been used.

Be sure to control brooder conditions steadily.

Reactions: tka