• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Baby lovebird help

SarahBear

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Sarah Noel
  1. upload_2019-8-6_1-22-32.png
  2. This is Fiona. She was given to me by a friend who didn’t know how to care for her. I have a 3 month old lovebird named Pickles I hand fed from 2 weeks old also from this friend. I didn’t want a second lovebird but the mom stopped feeding this baby and the sibling 2days ago. You could see the bones on both. Sadly the other baby (Nibbles) who wouldn’t eat and was very wobbly died through the night. This baby eats very well one of her eyes looks to be blind and her wings are curled in and the feathers don’t seam to be growing properly. Her head looks kinda small in my opinion as well but I’m no expert. I was told she’s 2 months old but that can not be correct. Can anyone help answer please ahead some light on some of my concerns? Why wouldn’t feathers grow in correct? Why are her wings curled? Does her head look small to anyone else? Does she seam kinda bald to anyone else? What about blindness in one eye? So many questions. Thanks guys. upload_2019-8-6_1-38-36.png
  3. upload_2019-8-6_1-39-43.png
  4. upload_2019-8-6_1-40-18.png

SarahBear

Real Name
Sarah Noel
upload_2019-8-6_2-4-50.jpeg
Sorry this is what her wing growth looks like on the right wing. The left wing has grown I. Faster but still not like my 3 month old Pickles.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Zara, @finchly, @Irishj9, @melissasparrots, may be able to help you with some information I hope.

The only other thing I could suggest is a vet visit, I have no successful experience with sick/unwell baby birds.

I’ll try to think of some others to tag for baby help.
I hope all works out well for you all :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Part of the issues could be malnutrition. Definitely needs to see the vet to rule out congenital issues.

SarahBear

Real Name
Sarah Noel
Thank you guys. I was told the mommy stopped feeding the babies about 5 days ago the owner tried to feed them but called me a few days ago and they were very thin and frail. One passed away the night I picked them up. This one is eating very well but just looks awful bless her heart.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
It is impossible to diagnose on the Internet. Malnutrition is the first obvious answer but it could also be illness. What are you feeding him now? Can you take him out in the sun for a few minutes daily? Do you have access to an avian vet?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Please see a avian vet

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Looks dehydrated and malnourished, are you giving her formula? A wellness check is in order, Could be mom or dad had some issues..and shouldn't have babies..hope shes gonna be ok..

SarahBear

Real Name
Sarah Noel
Looks dehydrated and malnourished, are you giving her formula? A wellness check is in order, Could be mom or dad had some issues..and shouldn't have babies..hope shes gonna be ok..

SarahBear

Real Name
Sarah Noel
I’ve had her 3 days now she was a lot worse when I brought her home. i don’t know the name of the baby mix I’m using I was given it by the owner of her parents. I was told she’s the 5th clutch of the season. Isn’t that a lot? I think mom needs a break. I’m calling around for a decent priced avian vet and will take her in today. Her feathers have grown since yesterday on her head and she has lots of energy. I have a 3 month old baby named pickles that is from the same parents. She was the 3rd clutch. She is beautiful and grew perfectly.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
OK you've got to take control here. :)

-find out what food you are using. If it isn't a true avian food, change the formula right away.
It could be a number of things, malnutrition (as prev. mentioned), underlying illness or the parents were picking at the chicks feathers. The malnutrition could stem from the parents not being on a healthy diet, therefore not passing on enough nutrients to the chicks.

It´s worth investing in a good quality formula for the baby, being sure to feet it at the right temp, keep the baby warm in a brooder.

The other bird, who has red suffusion, was given to you at 2 weeks? Why? Could you let your breeder friend know that lovebird babiies should stay with the parents until at least 3 weeks, unless there is a problem? Or maybe invite Fiona's previous owner to the forum so she can learn about dummy eggs etc. Birds that have bred 5 times this year -- that is way too much. The hen is now a chronic layer, and this is really REALLY Draining her health.

And of course, a v
vet visit should not be delayed. Especially to see what is going on with the eye but also to check for any illnesses.

SarahBear

Real Name
Sarah Noel
OK you've got to take control here. :)

-find out what food you are using. If it isn't a true avian food, change the formula right away.
It could be a number of things, malnutrition (as prev. mentioned), underlying illness or the parents were picking at the chicks feathers. The malnutrition could stem from the parents not being on a healthy diet, therefore not passing on enough nutrients to the chicks.

It´s worth investing in a good quality formula for the baby, being sure to feet it at the right temp, keep the baby warm in a brooder.

The other bird, who has red suffusion, was given to you at 2 weeks? Why? Could you let your breeder friend know that lovebird babiies should stay with the parents until at least 3 weeks, unless there is a problem? Or maybe invite Fiona's previous owner to the forum so she can learn about dummy eggs etc. Birds that have bred 5 times this year -- that is way too much. The hen is now a chronic layer, and this is really REALLY Draining her health.

And of course, a v
vet visit should not be delayed. Especially to see what is going on with the eye but also to check for any illnesses.
Thank you yes the formula is exact. The owner of parents has taken the nesting box away after a vet told him yesterday that she needs time to rest. I don’t know why he gave Pickles to me at 2 weeks old he gave all the babies away at the same time. He told me the clutch after pickles did not hatch. As for Fiona I just came from the vet and was told she is not being kept warm enough and needs eye drops for her eye. Is indeed malnourished from parents and a little dehydrated. I’ll need to monitor and bring back if she stops eating or diarrhea starts. Thank you I appreciate the feedback and I’ll keep everyone posted on updates and pics

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m so pleased to hear you got baby to the vet. Hoping all will turn out well :)

Do keep the updates (and pics) coming as we would all love to know how things go for baby and you.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I am so glad you went to the vet, and were not offended with all of us telling you what to do :D

There is a product called NV powder that I like to keep on hand. It helps when they are dehydrated or ill -- you wouldn't use it constantly of course, but it helps get them moving about and eating again. Dr Rob Marshalls NV Powder | Laraine's Lady Gouldians

Also even though she is young you might offer water or other liquids via a spoon, a dish -- however she will accept it. I just made some bird tea for mine. (They aren't sick - just a treat) You can get it from Greywood Manor, or our own Danita at Avian Organics carries an organic Berry Blue and also chamomile... those would make good tea.

SarahBear

Real Name
Sarah Noel
I appreciate all the feedback. I’m learning and have no problem with constructive criticism and obtaining knowledge in any area I’m lacking. I want these babies to be healthy

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that you took Fiona to the vet. I hope that with your care and support from the vet she will survive and thrive. Please do keep us posted. Sending positive thoughts for Fiona.

SarahBear

Real Name
Sarah Noel
0AE5D8D0-EEFB-43AD-9C84-A59F166B42C3.jpeg Update on Fiona. So had a seizure this morning I took her back into the vet they think she has a brain disorder that’s causing problems in her nervous system I’ve given her to the vet so she can have the best chance to live. I’m extremely upset with the previous owners for allowing the mom to keep laying eggs and not keeping an eye on the babies ugh. I’m not even upset about all the money spent it’s about the life she’ll have and how long it’ll be. It broke my heart to see her like that and quite frankly scared the crap outta me. I wanna thank all of you for the advice and support.