• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Lorikeet regurgitating food and water

Woodchip

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Steve
Hi all
The other day I found a baby lorikeet in the car park at work and he was extremely hot and cannot fly. I took him in the cool and gave him water and he seemed to be fine. I have tried to see if there are any parents or a nest near where I found him but no luck. I have had lorikeets in the past and just fed them wombaroo food water and fresh fruit. When the small one eats he then seems to choke a bit and then opens his beak and regurgitates what looks like bubbly slimy water. He seems hungry and always eats but it is a bit unusual for him to vomit as my other birds have never done that.

Anyone have any ideas? I can go and get him some of the nectar if thats what he needs or is it something else. He is close to flying and has all his feathers. Im not sure.
Thanks in advance
Steve

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Mizzely can you help here?

The first question I have is have you actually hand fed baby birds before? I am wondering if maybe that could be the problem

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
When I hand fed lorikeet chicks we used kaytee exact formula. Is this chick still in need of formula? what ”wombaroo food” are you offering?

Woodchip

Real Name
Steve
Hi
He is past the hand feeding stage and readily eats out of a small dish. Apple puree is licked off your finger and he seems OK with grapes and apple too. I have been feeding him Wombaroo which is what I have used for 20 years with my other lorikeets but I have never rescued one before and just got them from a vet. He has all his feathers and will try and flap and fly but he hasnt the strength yet or the knowhow.

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
He may still be too young, but if he is fully weaned and eating specialized lorikeet food and vomiting, I’d stay on the safe side and get him to a vet.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Couldn't agree more, taking the little one to the vet may be beneficial.

If, as you say though, past the weaning stage and fully feathered, then he should have been perfectly fine and should not needed a nest. He could have nee newly fledged and maybe something happened after flying out the nest.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@Mizzely can you help here?

The first question I have is have you actually hand fed baby birds before? I am wondering if maybe that could be the problem
Sorry, handfeeding and lorikeets are two subjects I sadly know little about! :(

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
Edit- Just read your guy eat by himself. Wombaroo is ok. Is it the adult or baby formula? The bubbles worry me. It could be getting into its lungs by mistake. The other idea I have is worms can do the same thing, also it could have a bacterial infection. What state is the crop in? Is is soft and small before feeds, it could have something blocking it and what are the droppings like? Also if it is self feeding but making bubbles I would definitely see a vet as you don't know the age of the bird or what worms it has. As we can't see whats going on can you give more details ?

Last edited:

Woodchip

Real Name
Steve
Unfortunately it was all in vain. Had him booked in the the Avaian vet but he died the day before he was due to go.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m so sorry.
Thankyou for trying to help him.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Poor little guy. Thank you for giving him a fair chance.

I sadly found a dead lorikeet on my walk. He seemed to have a broken neck. It is a tough world out there for little parrots. With all the bush fires I worry for the parrot chicks. :(