• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby lorikeet help

Skittle

Moving in
Real Name
Chantelle
Hi, I’ve just brought a 6 week old baby lorikeet 2 days ago. I’m feeding it a dry food mixed with water paste and offering some purée. This is the breeders instructions.

I keep fretting whether it’s eating enough or not. How many mls should it have per day at this age?

I’ve been offering it food about 6 times a day 7 am until about 10 pm. The breeder said not to give it straight water and to only mix with the food.

Should I offer it water?

It also cries consistently while I handle it or even look in its box.

Do you think it’s just scared?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Curious.. Can you take it back to the breeder and have them raise it till it is actually weaned, responsible breeders won't sell unweaned chicks as too much can go wrong and when it does it is very fast and very sad. The only time I have heard of responsible breeders handing over unweaned chicks is to people who they know well and who are successful breeders themselves, I have never heard of a good breeder handing a chick over to someone who is left with the stress and concern you now have.

Unweaned babies on formula usually gain all moisture needs from the actual formula which is why it is very important to mix it correctly and know what to expect etc.

I don't understand what water paste is- but, best to list the actual formula and all foods you are using along with the amount and frequency of it so that anyone with Lorikeet raising knowledge can better assist.

I will move your thread so you have better chances of being helped.

Skittle

Moving in
Real Name
Chantelle
Thanks I didn’t meant write water paste. I meant I mix the Lori mix with water until it forms a paste. Last night I formed drops on the end of a syringe and it licked it up very fast. Poor thing must have been thirsty. So I’m going to offer it water with every feed too now. I introduced it to my older Lori and it seemed to start copying it eating out of the bowl awkwardly next to it. I have them separate still, just mingling them while I’m there to supervise.

I did mention to the breeder that I didn’t know how to look after a baby Lori and he said it’s easy and will practically ween itself if I offer food. He said he was going to sell it to someone else that was enquiring if I didn’t get it so I bought it.

The bird doesn’t seem lethargic. It’s started wobbly walking around it’s enclosure. I have a heat pad on one quarter of the enclosure and keep a cup of water in there so the heat doesn’t dehydrate the bird. It’s not hot in there just a comfortable temp so it doesn’t get cold at night when it’s out of its blanket.

Thanks for moving my thread.My main concern is that it’s eating enough. That I’m not under or over feeding.