• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Baby Kakariki Aspirating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BridgetL

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Bridget
Hi there,
I'm new to this forum and need some advice. I am hand raising 3 Kakariki babies who are super precious. Mom had 7 but was battling so at 3 weeks I took over with 3 of them and have been feeding them myself 4 hourly for 2.5 weeks now.

One of the babies has had some difficulty feeding due to "panting" and wheezing so he cannot eat so well cos he cannot breathe witht eh spoon in his mouth.
I may have accidently sent food down his trachea and I feel so bloody awful.

They are growing so beautifully and are such soft natured fellas so that makes me feel even more horrid.
My closest vet is way too far away. Can anyone give me ANY advice. He seems rather distressed, Can one not massage the darn food out?

I know this forum says its not to replace vetinary care but I will be devastated if I cause this super cute feathered angels death.

Thanks for any advice you may have.
Bridget
Sydney Australia

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm sorry, can you call the vet (emergency #) so they can perhaps help you over the phone? We do have knowledgeable members who respond to our 911 posts but they may not be reachable at this time. :sadhug2:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Aspiration is definitely a medical emergency and more severe based on how much was aspirated. Is there an ER vet you can call and at least get some advice?

There's some good information on this page Handfeeding Cockatiels, Hand Feeding Cockatiels, baby birds, chicks, Crop Burn, Punctured Esophagus, Slow Gut, Sour Crop, Aspiration, Pneumonia, Aspergilliosis, Candidiasis, Yeast Infections, Subcutaneous Emphysema, Unweaned Baby Birds, handfeeding b

but it doesn't give too much information about what to do if this happens.

I hope the baby will be ok :hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Sent a message to Susanne.:hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Bridgett, how is your baby doing?

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, if you have aspirated the bird you may hear a gauging or wheezing sound. Take your bird to the vet and he can listen with a stethoscope and go from there. If the bird has in fact been aspirated it is going to need antibiotics to prevent the possibility. Is there any type of vet around you that can provide antibiotics for your bird? How is the bird acting now?

Please keep us posted.

Gary

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
How is your baby doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.