• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby IR can't walk.

Virginia Moore

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Virginia
I recently adopted a 3 month old baby Indian ringneck who was raised by his parents and has injuries to his legs/can't walk. He gets around quite well in his home and is eating formula at present. He loves getting around with me so he can see everything... He can't perch or hold onto me, so 20190712_090349.jpg I wondered if anyone has ideas for a birdie pouch or something that would keep him secure on me as I walked around in my house.??? ANY IDEAS FOR SIMILAR SITUATIONS IS SO APPRECIATED! PLEASE ADVISE IF YOU'VE EXPERIENCED ANYTHING LIKE THIS YOURSELF.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Take him to your vet for a wellness check and assessment on his legs. Maybe a few of our vendors make something for him, or if your good at sewing, you could make him a baby pouch or sling,, could be nutritional also, I work with wild birds and calcium is most important, I've seen calcium increase help babies with wobbly legs and feet,,does he have a pinch reflex? If you gently pinch a toe, he should pull and move his leg, could also be a spine injury,..the vet is your best bet, sure is cute,,

Virginia Moore

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Virginia
Thank you so much! I hope I can find some good helps for him. My avian vet said his knees are fused (one is in a dislocated position) and the only possibility is that we could do surgery to set them in a straighter position, but he'll never be able to perch. He's a treasure!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Virginia :fairy2:

Your bird is just precious :)

When selecting a cage, opt for a wide but fairly short cage. Line it with blankets or non pilling fleece. Ramps wrapped with vet tape. Platforms. I´m sure you could DIY some sort of swing too using a small shallow plastic dish lined with fabric. My little lovebird loves her teddy bears to perch on because they are softer on her legs. She has 3 and uses them all :)

@Fuzzy

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for taking the baby into your home. He is very cute. What is his name?
I have a sparrow with two non-functional legs so he can not perch. Agree that the cage should be wider rather than high. You should use flat perches, platforms and ramps which you can cover with vet wrap. Line the bottom of the cage with non pilling fleece or non stringy towels or even layers of paper towels. My sparrow has a small bowl that is lined with layers of paper towels. He can sit in that bowl and rest and can also access his food and water dishes from the bowl. Make sure that food and water is easily accessible. Put that on the bottom or near the bottom of the cage.
Sadly I don't let my sparrow fly around the house because he can't land safely and with his feet dragging he doesn't fly well either. Sometimes I will carry him around for a bit but I can't set him down anywhere because he will take off.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is your IR doing?