• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby had to come home early!!

BirdAtHart

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Hi everyone, some of you may remember when I posted about my 11 week old Catalina that was at the breeders still about a week ago. Well cases of COVID have been rising and the breeder decided he was going to leave a while, close his shop for short time, and he went to be with family. He told me I needed to pick up my baby (he was already completely paid for), because he couldn’t take him with him. Not the most Ideal situation, I know, as I know all the hazards of bringing home a baby before he is weaned. I do however have hand feeding experience, just all with smaller birds. Please, please, don’t come at me too harshly :/ I didn’t feel I had a choice, as he said if I didn’t take him home the other option was for him to refund me and he had other people willing to purchase my baby and take him right away. I’m already in love with my Loki and couldn’t see that happen.
Anyway, he’s been home 3 days now. Overall he is adjusting well.. he doesn’t seem scared, he steps up to me easily, he will beak new fresh foods I put down for him. He is also “eating” (I.E. crushing up and/or throwing around) some of his pellet/seed mix that the breeder had introduced him to. I plan to go today and find him a healthier Pellet only option. I do have two questions though.
Loki was 11 weeks and 3 days yesterday. he was sitting on the bed with me and next thing I knew he took his maiden flight from the bed up to the headboard of my bed!! Then he did it again about 20 min later. Now this morning he flew from his play stand over to me, but of course he has no control yet so he basically crashes above my head and I reached up and got him. I’ve never heard of a macaw fledging at his age. Is this normal? I’ve been visiting Loki since he was tiny with no feathers so I don’t see how I could have been told his age incorrectly, but I guess it’s possible he is just a little older than what I was told?
Also, since he came home he takes about half of what the breeder said he would take as far as formula. He was supposedly taking 90cc 2-3 times a day. With me he takes the first syringe (it’s 35cc syringe) and then when I go refill it he loses interest and doesn’t want to take much but I can coax maybe another 10cc into him. I am offering him formula any time he seems to want it. Any head bobbing or hungry poses and I offer. So he may get hand fed 6 times in the day or maybe 3-4 just depending on how much he seems to want it.
Of course I’m anxious about how much he eats, if he is getting enough, etc. I know they can lose some appetite at fledging time. I just had no idea until last night that he was about to take flight!
Any help, advice, tips, are all appreciated! this forum has been like gold to me and I appreciate having it to reach out to.
He will be going to the AV next week, just FYI. That’s the soonest they could get him in.
sorry this is so long! Thanks again!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
since he came home he takes about half of what the breeder said he would take as far as formula. He was supposedly taking 90cc 2-3 times a day.
Because you are not his mummy. Jot down feeding amounts etc in a diary and log it, after a few days adjusting he should be eating back on track.
Double check your temps are correct - bain marie works a charm.

when I go refill it he loses interest and doesn’t want to take much but I can coax maybe another 10cc into him
Try buying more syringes and pre-filling them. Leave them in the hot water so they don´t cool down.

I have no knowledge of macaw deelopment. I will tag @Macawnutz @OK Mike @aooratrix

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
The flights are fine and normal.

You need a 60cc syringe, a gram kitchen scale and not to change his pellets until he is eating better.

With a 60cc you will at least get that in him. Watch your temperature and consistency with the formula.

I'll write more late but that's your start. :)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
All birds are individuals, and some scarlet macaws have been known to wean ridiculously early compared to other macaws. Since he’s flying, his biology is commanding him to thin, to lose weight.

Do you have a scale? If not, run to Walmart and get the 25; you need to weigh him empty , so you know where he’s at. I’d keep a variety of fresh foods available and encourage him to explore them. You’ll never have a better time to teach him to eat a variety.

mom all for feeding him when he’s hungry, but 6 times a day seems a lot to me. I’d think he’d be on 3, moving towards 2.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I forgot about the pellets. Glad Sarah caught that.

Reactions: Ali

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Be sure to buy a scale that measures in grams - really cheap at Walmart. It should measure up to about five pounds. Measure his weight every morning after big poop and before he eats. Keeping track of weight is thet easiest way to get early warning signals concerning their health.

His formula should be at 105f to 110f to avoid problems.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Nothing else to add other than COVER all the windows and mirrors... a member here with a baby macaw now learning to fly has already hit a window.

BirdAtHart

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Thank you guys so much for advice and encouragement! I really appreciate it!
I am monitoring his weight and he has gone down a bit bit only 10 grams in 3 days. With him just fledging and taking his first few flights, I thought that 10 gram loss was probably ok? I will of course keep weighing daily though!
I searched high and low for a 60cc syringe but couldn’t find one at any store. So I purchased a few 35cc ones and have been prefilling and keeping them in the hot water as one member suggested. It is definitely helping.. he ate better today, not 90cc at every feeding, but around 60 at each which is better than he was doing.
The breeder was feeding him 3 times a day and said that he is probably ready to drop to 2 feedings a day. I would be happy to keep him at 2 feedings a day, but I haven’t yet because I was worried about him not getting enough so I’ve just been offering any time he acts hungry. Do you guys think I should try only offering twice a day?
I have been monitoring when he goes to the bathroom, which is regularly, and based on my research his stool shows that he is consuming solid/adult foods. (From what I read, the darker green and more solid stool indicates adult food consumption, whereas the looser brown stool is from formula)
He is doing great overall. He is playful, and today he even came up to my neck and laid his head on me which melted my heart :)
He of course has no landing skills yet and when he lands (crashes) he definitely seems either annoyed or excited, not sure which.. His face flushes and he yells for a few min. I have blankets and pillows all over the place lol. And windows are covered all the time for now.
Being a new mommy, earlier than expected, threw me and Loki for a loop, but I think we are doing ok.
Oh and thank you for the advice on switching his pellets. I definitely want to switch him to something healthy but I’ll wait a bit and do it slowly, and continue to offer a variety of fresh foods throughout the day.
Should I switch him to his cage tomorrow? Right now he’s still in his baby Box, but his perching ability is great and with him flying I thought maybe it’s time to for to his cage?
Thanks again!! I love this forum :)

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Faithlyn
I think when I hand fed Fumbles I used 35 cc syringes as well and they worked fine for her. Loki sounds like such a cutie :) As far as your first flight question goes I just wanted to share the embarrassing story I had with Fumbles the week before I took her home from the store. She was also 11 weeks old at the time and until then I had come in various times throughout the past weeks to hand feed her and walk around with her. I am ashamed to say that I should have known better and had placed my thumb over at least one of her toes as I sat with her and walked her around the store on my hand but I was a new bird mommy and did not believe she was able to fly yet. However, on that day as I walked with her she decided to leap off my hand and complete her first flight, which I would have to say was pretty big (30ft straight). She was fine, no harm done in her case but it surprised me that they fly at such a young age. Then again Fumbles is a strange bird, she immediately took to the pellet diet and vegetables within 3 days of bringing her home as well as decent recall training result.

Sorry for the long ramble I just thought it was an interesting experience and wanted to share. Point is I wouldn't be too surprised if many macaws start trying to fly around 10-12 weeks of age :) Please keep us posted on Loki I can't wait to hear more.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

BirdAtHart

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
I think when I hand fed Fumbles I used 35 cc syringes as well and they worked fine for her. Loki sounds like such a cutie :) As far as your first flight question goes I just wanted to share the embarrassing story I had with Fumbles the week before I took her home from the store. She was also 11 weeks old at the time and until then I had come in various times throughout the past weeks to hand feed her and walk around with her. I am ashamed to say that I should have known better and had placed my thumb over at least one of her toes as I sat with her and walked her around the store on my hand but I was a new bird mommy and did not believe she was able to fly yet. However, on that day as I walked with her she decided to leap off my hand and complete her first flight, which I would have to say was pretty big (30ft straight). She was fine, no harm done in her case but it surprised me that they fly at such a young age. Then again Fumbles is a strange bird, she immediately took to the pellet diet and vegetables within 3 days of bringing her home as well as decent recall training result.

Sorry for the long ramble I just thought it was an interesting experience and wanted to share. Point is I wouldn't be too surprised if many macaws start trying to fly around 10-12 weeks of age :) Please keep us posted on Loki I can't wait to hear more.
thank you for sharing.. it actually makes me feel better! I too was shocked when he took off. I truly thought they didn’t start flying until closer to 14-16 weekso_O
he showed me I was wrong! Lol
Is it good to go ahead and move him to his cage?

BirdAtHart

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Thank you! Can’t find these in store anywhere!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Thank you! Can’t find these in store anywhere!
Those are the good ones. The O rings ones last forever when you take care of them. Just rub a little oil on the o ring before feeding if they get sticky.

Yes, you are probably ready for a cage if your sweetie is sleeping on a perch. Have you seen this thread? 8 weeks Blue and gold baby
Your cuties are at about the same stage. LOL

BirdAtHart

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Those are the good ones. The O rings ones last forever when you take care of them. Just rub a little oil on the o ring before feeding if they get sticky.

Yes, you are probably ready for a cage if your sweetie is sleeping on a perch. Have you seen this thread? 8 weeks Blue and gold baby
Your cuties are at about the same stage. LOL
I actually recently read through that whole thread and thought the same.. his baby and mine are close, I think his is just maybe a week or two older. So I loved reading through it and found the advice given to him for little Tangawizi (spelling?) was very helpful for me too!
I just have two other questions, and I’m probably overthinking a bit, but is it ok to introduce the harness now? And also is ok to start taking him with me, to family’s houses or other low stress environments. I know he should get used to these things young. But don’t want to push it too soon and freak him out

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yes, you can start teaching harness. It's pretty easy at this age but you have to keep up with doing it even through the winters. Lots of rewards everytime you get it on.

Personally, I'd wait until you have calculated clean landings before going to new places. Those hail Mary's for every little thing are not safe if your sweetie does not know the area. If you get the harness on you could sneak out side but stay close to the house until you know the reactions.

BirdAtHart

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Yes, you can start teaching harness. It's pretty easy at this age but you have to keep up with doing it even through the winters. Lots of rewards everytime you get it on.

Personally, I'd wait until you have calculated clean landings before going to new places. Those hail Mary's for every little thing are not safe if your sweetie does not know the area. If you get the harness on you could sneak out side but stay close to the house until you know the reactions.
Ok thank you so much for the advice! I’ll definitely work on the harness but hold off on the outings for a bit :)

BirdAtHart

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Over the last day or so I’ve really started to feel like Loki actually wants to be with me now, instead of before when I was a brand new person and he just tolerated me. And it’s wonderful. He’s started to come up and lay his face or head on me and just want to snuggle. I already loved him but he just makes my heart melt so much now! Here are a few pictures!
E80181F1-C006-4647-9D7F-B71B7A3EE71F.jpeg
A21431DF-3BC6-49F1-A88F-DFD193947629.jpeg
12C3EA25-57D5-451E-89F6-2B864887DDDE.jpeg
6D85E641-9C71-4B3B-824D-D39A5B845737.jpeg