• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Grey Eating Issues

sophie09

Moving in
Real Name
Sophie
I just got my 2 1/2 month old grey from the breeder yesterday and she said he wasn’t wanting his formula anymore. Yesterday when I took his home he kept crying and bobbing to be fed. He had chop and pellets available to him but barley ate any and just wanted to be hand fed. I ended up giving him 2 feedings yesterday. The same thing is happening today. Should I just keep him on the 2 feedings even though the breeder said he was barely taking the 1 feeding?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Baby birds often regress when moved, they get unsettled, become unsure and need comfort and reassurance which handfeeding covers. It will not harm your bird and will actually benefit him to be given handfeedings whenever he asks for them or wants them.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
These larger species take longer to fully wean and would get support feeds from parents for a few more months I think without looking it up.

Food equals security. And they are much more likely to explore new foods after a feeding. Weaning by abundance. I would offer the formula in the morning then right after set out your fresh veggies and leafy greens . Babies tend to like them chopped up to around pea size st first. Increase size with their confidence and ability. And offer the pellets dampened so they are a little soft and crumble. They learn from their flock , do spend some time playing with the food with him . Offer the formula at other times and allow him to reject it take less as he wants . Usually morning and evenings are the last to be dropped.

Have a digital kitchen scale and weigh the bird daily in the morning and log .

This age in a bird your size , still needs a lot of extra guidance and support and contact to be a more confident and independent bird with less behavior issues as an full adult. They would be a sponge learning from parents and older siblings for the first year . Start working in foraging, very simple and done together at first . Foraging will fantastic way to keep that brain occupied down the road

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Ok really seems like four months or a little more to be a weaning age.

Here is an older thread talking weaning in greys