• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby green cheek with badly splayed legs

neeko143

Moving in
Real Name
Jess
Hi! I’m new here so I’m sorry if I don’t format properly.

I just took in a baby green cheek with two badly splayed legs. I was told this bird was about five weeks but appears much younger. I am handfeeding this baby now. I didn’t want him to be put down.

my vet made some hobbles for him and I can get him to perch on my finger if I put his toes on my finger and let him rest his head on my hand. I take him out several times per day and have him do this hoping he builds strength. He’s wrapped in a towel in a cup so he is kind of hanging in the cup so he isn’t having his legs bend backwards.Since his one leg dangles the hobbles aren’t in the same spot on the legs.

I don’t want to give up on him I want him to be a part of my bird family. Any tips or tricks? My vet says several weeks of visits which is fine and I trust her but has anyone corrected legs this bad? Ty

Attachments

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Hi! I’m new here so I’m sorry if I don’t format properly.

I just took in a baby green cheek with two badly splayed legs. I was told this bird was about five weeks but appears much younger. I am handfeeding this baby now. I didn’t want him to be put down.

my vet made some hobbles for him and I can get him to perch on my finger if I put his toes on my finger and let him rest his head on my hand. I take him out several times per day and have him do this hoping he builds strength. He’s wrapped in a towel in a cup so he is kind of hanging in the cup so he isn’t having his legs bend backwards.Since his one leg dangles the hobbles aren’t in the same spot on the legs.

I don’t want to give up on him I want him to be a part of my bird family. Any tips or tricks? My vet says several weeks of visits which is fine and I trust her but has anyone corrected legs this bad? Ty
I wish I had advice for you —I’m following with interest because I have a 4 week old rescue pigeon with similarly severely splayed legs. I was told she would need surgery at 3-4 months but will confirm with my avian vet on Tuesday. I’m only able to consider this because the rescue group will pay for the surgery so I do not assume that this is an option for everyone even if at turns out to be a good idea. I can follow up after Tuesday to let you know what my vet says and does to mitigate the splaying in the meantime. She came home to me with vet tape holding her legs but that has loosened. I have also seen some interesting advice about using a rectangle piece of sponge with a hole for each leg. In any case, my heart goes out to you and I’ll follow with intersect.

neeko143

Moving in
Real Name
Jess
I wish I had advice for you —I’m following with interest because I have a 4 week old rescue pigeon with similarly severely splayed legs. I was told she would need surgery at 3-4 months but will confirm with my avian vet on Tuesday. I’m only able to consider this because the rescue group will pay for the surgery so I do not assume that this is an option for everyone even if at turns out to be a good idea. I can follow up after Tuesday to let you know what my vet says and does to mitigate the splaying in the meantime. She came home to me with vet tape holding her legs but that has loosened. I have also seen some interesting advice about using a rectangle piece of sponge with a hole for each leg. In any case, my heart goes out to you and I’ll follow with intersect.
Thank you! Mine had sticky fabric bandage stuck to itself with little holes cut in it as a hobble. The one leg of my bird is so droopy that it kept sliding through. I just created a more rigid hobble with a 2 layer 4' vet wrap with the holes a little smaller for the legs. I figured the vet wrap would be stickier than the fabric bandage and would stay in place a lot better on his legs. I put it on an hour ago, and he's napping now but they didn't slide up the leg as easy. I felt like the first hobble I was given got too lose by the end of the day he first had it on. I try and change it twice per day. I can move his legs in, out, around, and bend his hocks forward and backwards. I have a parakeet with one splay leg and she does fine. Her leg was clearly rigid when I rescued her, I could not bend it in at all.

I have seen the sponge setup too. I might bring that option up if these soft hobbles don't stay in place for me.

Are your pigeons legs behind him too? What would the surgery entail? Are his legs 'flexible' still?

I would certainly go the surgery route too with my guy because I feel a few weeks of discomfort is certainly worth a shot at 20 years of a happy life. I knew it would be a long journey when I decided to pick him up, I can't stand the thought of putting him down so I will do anything it takes to fix him. I would be absolutely thrilled if my bird could have just ONE leg he could perch on, he would still be able to get around some then.

I hope both of our birds live happy lives.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Here is something @Zara posted before.
Hopefully it is some help.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I have found that the vet wrap works best. Do you have pictures? If you get it done right you should be able to leave it on for several days without removing it. This little one also looks like he might have some feet issues as well. Does he ever open up his claws and put his feet flat with two toes pointing forward and two back? Do they look normal?

neeko143

Moving in
Real Name
Jess
I have found that the vet wrap works best. Do you have pictures? If you get it done right you should be able to leave it on for several days without removing it. This little one also looks like he might have some feet issues as well. Does he ever open up his claws and put his feet flat with two toes pointing forward and two back? Do they look normal?
hi. His feet were balled up pretty good and hocks were swollen when I picked him up . I have been spending a lot of time during the day supporting his body and having him grip my finger. At first, I had to move his toes around my finger, today he seems to be able to grab my finger and grab harder when i try and lift him off of my finger. Hocks are much more flexible since I've been stretching and moving him a lot.

The hobble that I was given was flexible and he ends up pooping on them since his legs tend to hang behind him. Even wrapped in a towel propping him up and having his legs hang, he still managed to poop on them. He was able to slip his leg up since it's rather soft and flexes easy.

My newest pair I made out of vetwrap since it can be flexible or rigid depending on the direction where the tension will be. I made it a lot thinner as well as created a secondary strap above the hock and hobble itself to prevent it from slipping upwards. Next time I take him out I will add more photos. He's finally settled down and very worn out.

I would say I can see progress in the toes/hocks, but it's been a battle getting a hobble to stay in place. Increase in flexibility and usage. I could imagine he is severely lacking in leg/foot muscle and coordination since he's been on his belly his whole life so far. I'm hoping giving him 'work outs' to help build these muscles can ultimately push him in the direction to use his legs better.

He's been a very adaptable guy and he tolerates the handling and took right to handfeedings. Hoping this all works out.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
It sounds like the things you are doing are very good.

For the Hubble you wanted to be right up against his belly since the origin of the splayed legs is at the hips. So you can tie the legs together to keep them situated properly.

You may also be able to help the feed by making little boots that hold the toes in the correct position. I'm going to post a link that shows how it is done with chickens but it can be adapted for parrots. Just remember that parrots have two toes pointing back and two pointing forward different from chickens. Of course you can just look at another birds feet to see what looks normal and try and secure the baby's toes the way that they need to be.

I was trying to find some pictures from when I have had to do this with my babies before but I didn't find them right away. If I do find them I'll post them.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
@neeko143 just wanted to follow up with what my avian vet said. The avian surgeon said my pigeon will need surgery on 5/05 to have a rod placed in her splayed leg and her leg rotated. Full anesthesia. He showed me X-rays of the exact same procedure on a baby emu who had just completed the surgery when I was there —the emu looked fine. He said neither the vet tape nor a brace would help enough in the interim because the splaying was so severe . Your bird is you her than mine so perhaps you will have better luck addressing the issue without surgery. Wishing you all the best.

neeko143

Moving in
Real Name
Jess
@neeko143 just wanted to follow up with what my avian vet said. The avian surgeon said my pigeon will need surgery on 5/05 to have a rod placed in her splayed leg and her leg rotated. Full anesthesia. He showed me X-rays of the exact same procedure on a baby emu who had just completed the surgery when I was there —the emu looked fine. He said neither the vet tape nor a brace would help enough in the interim because the splaying was so severe . Your bird is you her than mine so perhaps you will have better luck addressing the issue without surgery. Wishing you all the best.
Wow please keep me posted. I hope your bird surgery goes well. Great info thank you. I finally got hobbles to stay in place for mine and when I take them off to clean him his legs seem less dramatically splayed outwards but still behind him. He’s getting spunky and impatient because he wants to explore and do bird things.

neeko143

Moving in
Real Name
Jess
It sounds like the things you are doing are very good.

For the Hubble you wanted to be right up against his belly since the origin of the splayed legs is at the hips. So you can tie the legs together to keep them situated properly.

You may also be able to help the feed by making little boots that hold the toes in the correct position. I'm going to post a link that shows how it is done with chickens but it can be adapted for parrots. Just remember that parrots have two toes pointing back and two pointing forward different from chickens. Of course you can just look at another birds feet to see what looks normal and try and secure the baby's toes the way that they need to be.

I was trying to find some pictures from when I have had to do this with my babies before but I didn't find them right away. If I do find them I'll post them.
Yes if you find pics that would be great. My guy has a vet appt tomorrow to see how he is doing and make any changes. She said I’ll be up there every week for a while. Thank you for advice. I hope he does ok or can be happy with a disability.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa

neeko143

Moving in
Real Name
Jess
@neeko143 your baby is adorable!
I love him. He was really quiet the firstfew days I got him.He was parent fed before so he didn’t see me as anything important. I come down the stairs in the morning and he starts begging for food right away. He could care less about anyone else . I hope he does well he’s grown so much too.

Attachments

neeko143

Moving in
Real Name
Jess
How did your bird do today?

neeko143

Moving in
Real Name
Jess
Okay so last vet visit for a while for me. No more hobbles. Time to learn how to perch and navigate on his own. Lots of physical therapy. His legs look so much better. His one leg actually goes in front of him and not behind him. He’s a very silly happy bird.

Attachments

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
How did your bird do today?
Thank you for checking in. The surgery was postponed until Monday because the vet was not well. Bella seems ok but her inability to walk is definitely hindering her progress so as much as I’m worried about the surgery, I’ll be glad when she’s had it.
I am SO happy to see your baby GCC has improved greatly. You did a great job!!!

neeko143

Moving in
Real Name
Jess
Thank you for checking in. The surgery was postponed until Monday because the vet was not well. Bella seems ok but her inability to walk is definitely hindering her progress so as much as I’m worried about the surgery, I’ll be glad when she’s had it.
I am SO happy to see your baby GCC has improved greatly. You did a great job!!!
Please update! I feel your efforts are worth it for your little one. He will be so happy when he’s able to move well. The worst parts begun for my guy. I have to make him move and perch build muscle. Every few hours or so ….I’m exhausted but he’s so darn cute. Looking forward to hearing how the surgery went.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
8474449D-B71D-46F5-B0FA-F168F3EF708A.jpeg 7B87DDA8-C570-4F39-AD95-81266C29FEE3.jpeg Your baby is adorable. I can see his personality shining through. You’re doing great with your dedicated efforts to rehabilitate his legs.
This is Bella. I’ll update after the surgery on Monday. She’s scheduled to stay overnight which feels strange since I’m so hands on with her. She still does not eat independently and she really likes to nap on me. As much as I love doing these things for her, I’m hopeful that she will gain some independence once she can walk as that seems like it would best for her well being and happiness. 8474449D-B71D-46F5-B0FA-F168F3EF708A.jpeg 7B87DDA8-C570-4F39-AD95-81266C29FEE3.jpeg

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Update: Bella’s surgery was rescheduled again to Thursday.