• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby GCC’s

Fulmer

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lori
Okay everything was going great until this morning I went to uncover their cage and saw my male Conure for the first time in a few days. He barely comes out he cares for the babies 24/7. The female protects the box and brings him food constantly she also still lets us hold and love on her. This morning when I looked at him he had white stuff on his nose and looks like he is open mouth breathing. I instantly went to hold him (he is my baby and loves me) he wouldn’t step up and he ran back to his babies. I opened the box to see him and he was not pleased so I closed the box and left them alone. My husband said he remembers the avian rescue saying something like that happened before and it was some sort of calcium deposit that needs to be removed. My vet is closed today but even if she was opened how do I get him out of the nest to take him in

Attachments

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Are you sure on who's male and who's female?

When he(?) is out of the box, use something to cover the whole of the box and then take him out of cage.

Fulmer

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lori
I’m pretty sure but don’t know for certain. My hope is that he/she will leave the nest again then I’m sure I will be able to get him out safely by covering the box. He/she just never leaves the box

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Try putting some fresh foods in a bowl inside to see if both adults will come out to feed. He or she has to come out eventually to poop. Be prepared as @Monica suggested to cover the hole to make sure neither adult can re-enter the box. What exactly is the substrate you have in that box? It looks fuzzy in the photo what ever it is.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I always use external boxes even if I'm doing dummy eggs, or I can't check on chicks/switch eggs for fakes.
I drop some millet in the food bowls, then slide a thick piece of double card between the cage and box to cover the hole and do what I need to do in as short a time as possible. I leave another hunk of millet in the nest as a reward for my hen.
You can see the hole is covered:
IMG_20200213_141403.jpg

Fulmer

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lori
It’s foam and I realize now that probably was a huge mistake everything I’ve read says a different kind of shavings should be used. I was just using it because it was soft

Fulmer

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lori
I always use external boxes even if I'm doing dummy eggs, or I can't check on chicks/switch eggs for fakes.
I drop some millet in the food bowls, then slide a thick piece of double card between the cage and box to cover the hole and do what I need to do in as short a time as possible. I leave another hunk of millet in the nest as a reward for my hen.
You can see the hole is covered:
View attachment 328663
Try putting some fresh foods in a bowl inside to see if both adults will come out to feed. He or she has to come out eventually to poop. Be prepared as @Monica suggested to cover the hole to make sure neither adult can re-enter the box. What exactly is the substrate you have in that box? It looks fuzzy in the photo what ever it is.
I have been feeding a small amount of fresh veggies and fruit and the pellets and seeds and replacing it two of three times a day so that I can watch their in take ☺

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
It’s foam and I realize now that probably was a huge mistake everything I’ve read says a different kind of shavings should be used. I was just using it because it was soft
As soon as you can ( like today) ..get some shredded aspen or small pine shavings.... often come in packages that will contain some dust... you can use a sifter and shake out some of that dust. Remove the eggs and chicks and the adult sitting and get that foam out. The adult may have ingested some of the foam and it's all to easy for the adults to accidentally force some of the foam in the chicks while feeding them if there is a little foam attached to the beak. It was in one of the articles I attached for you to read about bedding materials to use. You can find these products in the rodent section at most pet stores.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I have been feeding a small amount of fresh veggies and fruit and the pellets and seeds and replacing it two of three times a day so that I can watch their in take ☺
What fruits, vegetables, pellet brand are you feeding?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I want to add... have a small container pre-set up with a clean dish towel and a few layers of paper towels on top.. make it like a nest slightly dipped in. Put a heating pad under it on low and get it warm before you transfer those chicks and eggs to it while you remove the other nest box to clean all of the foam out. ( even vacuum the walls and bottom of the nestbox to make sure you get every particle of the foam out) You don't want your chicks to get chilled. Sure, the parents will be very upset being removed from their brood and nest box but it's something that has to be done. All will be ok when you put the clean nest box back in with the proper bedding and their chicks & eggs. Keep an eye on the bird that is panting...if you suspect it has either ingested any foam an immediate vet visit is advised.

Fulmer

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lori
As soon as you can ( like today) ..get some shredded aspen or small pine shavings.... often come in packages that will contain some dust... you can use a sifter and shake out some of that dust. Remove the eggs and chicks and the adult sitting and get that foam out. The adult may have ingested some of the foam and it's all to easy for the adults to accidentally force some of the foam in the chicks while feeding them if there is a little foam attached to the beak. It was in one of the articles I attached for you to read about bedding materials to use. You can find these products in the rodent section at most pet stores.
Oh my goodness I’ll do whatever I can to do that today

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Oh my goodness I’ll do whatever I can to do that today
I really hope you do that today. No telling what kind of chemicals could be in that foam... either way, ingesting the foam would be fatal if it got lodged in the crop, digestive track or intestines.

Fulmer

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lori
I did it and it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. I took the parents out of the cage and put them in a smaller cage. Then I put the shredded aspen in a bowl and put the babies and eggs in it. I wore nitrile gloves hoping to lesson the impact of touching them. I wear them with puppy and kitten neonates. Then I cleaned the nesting box out of all the foam and added the shredded aspen to box ( I had tried to remove as much dust as possible) the process was very quick and kept a heater on them the whole time. Everyone is back in the cage and both parents are eating and drinking a ton. They have not gone back into the box. I’m super scared they will be upset and reject or hurt the chicks

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Parents are fine now with new nesting material and chicks. I’m so relieved thank you for your help ☺
I'm glad you followed through quickly and didn't have a hard time with the transition. Cheeks are pretty devoted parents and pretty forgiving in certain situations. How thick of a layer of aspen did you put in? Too little and the parents may be able to move some to the side leaving the bottom of the box exposed with a flat surface... which would keep less warmth for the babies and a higher risk of splayed legs as they grow. Without going back to the link I gave in this thread I think it was around 3 inches thick. Would love to see a new photo when the opportunity rises for you. Do watch the bird with the open beak breathing very closely. If you still see it take it to your avian vet for an exam. What are the foods your are feeding the adults?