• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Baby Galah with deformed legs

shellyrein

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
michelle
Hi last weekend we found a baby galah on the side of the road we searched and waited for a couple of hours for mum and dad but when we came back after 2 hours the little one was nearly dead and not doing well... we took her home warmed her up got her on antibiotics and started feeding her the next day .. She was very limp and lethargic for the first few days so we just left her alone except for at meal times ... fast forward 6 days and she is now a squalky little monster devouring her paswell and demanding attention ...... my problem is her legs ....since she has recovered her strength and starting to look more alive we have noticed her legs are a mess.... she cannot walk and relys on her beak to pull her around her cage. Her ankle joints are swallon and fused at a right angle and one foot is just a mess of toes going in every direction . I am wanting to take her to a vet but unfortunatly if she cant be released she will be put to sleep and im hoping with the help of some splints and some smart bird minds I can help her to live a happy pain free life .... any advice is welcime please

Attachments

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww bless her little heart she's so lucky you found her and are taking care of it. If she has physical problems like that unfortunately that's most likely why her parents abanfoned her because they knew she wasn't right so to speak. Hopefully folks on here will be able to give you an idea of what you can do splinting wise for her. Do you have a pic of her face? I'd love to see :heart:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If you decide to raise her from here then there’s no way for you to release her safely as she’ll be missing so many essential life skills her parents would teach her.
You CAN get vet help if you assume ownership and pay the bill. You don’t have to tell the vet that she’s wild caught- you can just say you took her off someone else and she obviously needs care.
They will do everything that they’d do for any other pet bird- I’ve seen it first hand and know of a few people who have acquired birds the same way you did and they needed urgent vet care which they got.
It’s not a good idea for you to try to fix this problem yourself, you can easily make it worse and cause her severe extra pain - she really needs help from a vet to find out exactly what is wrong and offer pain relief.