• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Galah missing nailbed?

Lyco1983

Meeting neighbors
Good morning! My wife and I are looking at adopting a baby Galah who is approximately 4 months old. He is bright eyed, engaging and looks extremely healthy in terms of his feathers/beak/etc. Our only reservation is that he is missing a toenail on his front left foot, which the owner of the store tells us is extremely normal and likely due to either an overzealous mother in the nest or possibly the nail getting stuck in a toy. They tell us it will never grow back, but that it won't affect the bird's quality of life in any way.

We are not superficial and have really enjoyed our time with him so far, so we just want to make sure that a missing nail isn't a big deal and wouldn't lead to any long-term issues. Is this as common as the store owner tells us? Are they still able to climb, hang upside down and do all the things that a parrot should do? Does anyone have experience with this? Thank you!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. I don't know how common it is or not. I would think not... but I don't think if it's just the nail that it would effect him very much.

@Nancy B ? @Mizzely ?

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
No, a missing nail won't affect his quality of life. He can still perch and grip things I wouldn't worry about that at all. It could also be a birth defect. You hadn't mentioned how he moves around. Is he perching yet? If not, does he walk around yet? I would watch how he moves around. But I don't suspect it would be a problem.

Maggiebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sally
He will be fine I have a budgie who also lost a toe nail. He’s still able to climb around and play like usual, no problems at all.

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
:welcome2:Welcome to the forum! I agree with everyone else.

Lyco1983

Meeting neighbors
Thank you all! Im happy to report that my wife and I brought Bowie home about two months ago, and he’s been an absolute pleasure so far. Happy, engaged, always willing to step up and spends all day practicing his talking and playing. Very inquisitive eyes, always thinking and considering what’s going on around him. Good appetite, very vocal (especially before bed and when preening) and loves everyone he meets. Flips out when we watch Mandalorian, probably due to all the noises and lights, which is hilarious. Takes scratches willingly and has even learned to ask for them by bowing his head and saying “boop” which is probably the cutest thing in the world. All signs point to an extremely happy and well-adjusted bird. A missing nail definitely isn’t slowing him down :)

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What a lucky little birdie Bowie is getting to live with you :) He looks quite young with all that grey... how old is Bowie do you know?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Bowie is very handsome.