• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Finches...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I keep a small outdoor aviary in my backyard. There are 2 ringneck doves, 2 society finches and 1 canary. I put a little hanging nest out there for the finches to be in. I know that the doves are a male and female. The canary is supposed to be a male. The finches, I had no idea. I was out cleaning it out today, cleaning dishes, etc and peeked inside the nest and saw three tiny finchy faces peeking out at me!! Oh my gosh! I go out there all the time, but I don't look into the nest so I just missed them! Not sure what I will do once they come out of the nest. I just ordered a really nice big flight cage that I may go ahead and put the doves in so that the finches and canary can just have the aviary. What I do know is that once those babies come out I will be removing the nest! No pictures yet, didn't want to frighten anyone...

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
congratulations are in order I guess thanks for sharing

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
oh my goodness congratulations

oddbird

Walking the driveway
thats really nice :) looking forward to pics of babies :)

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
OMGoodness, what a surprise! Big congrats! :D

jamie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jamie
I keep a small outdoor aviary in my backyard. There are 2 ringneck doves, 2 society finches and 1 canary. I put a little hanging nest out there for the finches to be in. I know that the doves are a male and female. The canary is supposed to be a male. The finches, I had no idea. I was out cleaning it out today, cleaning dishes, etc and peeked inside the nest and saw three tiny finchy faces peeking out at me!! Oh my gosh! I go out there all the time, but I don't look into the nest so I just missed them! Not sure what I will do once they come out of the nest. I just ordered a really nice big flight cage that I may go ahead and put the doves in so that the finches and canary can just have the aviary. What I do know is that once those babies come out I will be removing the nest! No pictures yet, didn't want to frighten anyone...
That's what I did also :D Some species of finch will breed almost continuously if they have a nest, haha. What species do you have?

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
That's what I did also :D Some species of finch will breed almost continuously if they have a nest, haha. What species do you have?
They are societies and I am removing the nest after these babies fledge. It's a decent sized aviary for finches and I will keep all the babies, but I didn't plan to breed them. I just ordered a flight cage which I think I will put the doves in and then all of the finces and the canary and my two rescue canaries can go in the aviary.

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
Ah yes, societies will look for any excuse at all to have babies. They will also readily inbreed if you allow them. So it is a good idea to take out the nest. They are nice active little finches, though. I have 10 of them at home :D

robin's my baby

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
Ah yes, societies will look for any excuse at all to have babies. They will also readily inbreed if you allow them. So it is a good idea to take out the nest. They are nice active little finches, though. I have 10 of them at home :D
agreed but i have 1 and 1/2 :hehe:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
The babies are out of the nest and doing well. One of them died:( but the other three are doing well. I am taking out the nest. What is so great is they all seem very close to one another and to the canary that is in the aviary with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.