• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby English Budgie question

MisfitHouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
ToriB
Hello and Happy after Thanksgiving everyone!
I am looking at a baby english budgie at the nearby parrot store and was seriously considering buying him/her since I have wanted another for a decade now. My question is, Im not that familiar with their physical attributes. This baby is slender and has a bit of a hump over his hips. Is this how they normally look? Wish I had taken a photo but he was too "busy". Lol. (I do not want to chance any bird diseases or sick birds since we recently had bouts of illness with 4 animals and had all our birdys tested...)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
English budgies shouldn't have a "hump", nor should any bird for that matter.

They have the same shape as a normal budgie, the only difference is the size of their feathers. You'll notice that they are much larger and floofier than a regular budgie.

Here are some pics of some of my chicks, for your reference.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Can't wait to hear if you decide to bring EB home. I think I may know what you mean about the hump over the hips.... as sometimes Fergus looks like that when he stands a certain way on the perch. (Not that he is an English, he's not), but I have seen that particular stance before.

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
I'm going to ask you to elaborate about the "hump over the hips". I can't quite picture what you mean but I do agree with @PoukieBear in that no hump is normal for any budgie. Here's hoping that their "pouffed" stature is what you mean.

MisfitHouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
ToriB
English budgies shouldn't have a "hump", nor should any bird for that matter.

They have the same shape as a normal budgie, the only difference is the size of their feathers. You'll notice that they are much larger and floofier than a regular budgie.

Here are some pics of some of my chicks, for your reference.
Beautiful babies Michelle.
I think it is as "Fergus Mom" mentioned, just the way he was standing on the perch. I did bring him home and he is a sweet little toot. And already opinionated! The first couple days he didn't really want to eat much unless i held his dish but eating well now. At least his millet anyway! Lets see if I can attach his photos from google drive. Do you know what color this is called (purplish blue)??

Attach0(5).jpg
20191201_204248.jpg

EnglishBudgMom

Walking the driveway
I also find that people don't really realize the size difference until you put them near or look from an English to a Standard American Budgie as well. The Floofage is the best part in my opinion of course :laugh::wacky:.. it makes them look perpetually grumpy. Then again, my bird is a drama queen hen so????