• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby eclectus cage?

Izzybee

Meeting neighbors
So ive read or watched somewhere that when you first get a baby birdy you shoud keep them in a smaller flat topped cage, so im thinking although i have a great huge cage for when hes older, that ill keep him in a “large rabbit cage” with a towel on the bottom so that he feel more secure would this be a good idea ive seen people use SMALL dog crates for amazon babies, is this a little too extra? 5AA486D8-B4BB-46DA-8777-752702C7E797.jpeg

Last edited:

Izzybee

Meeting neighbors
This is the cage i plan on getting its 72x39x74 inches and 183x100x188cm and it has a removable divider in the middle should i use this to “wean” him into it if so when same with the smaller cage. Im thinking smaller cage for 1 month home half large cage for another 2 months then full range of the cage at 6months old (3months home) 9F8A2F4E-745F-4B77-BBDB-2E9858C8983B.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
When I first bought my baby home he was just learning to perch. I put perches down low for him, used platforms for him, and padded the bottom of his cage so when he did fall there was less chance of him hitting himself.
I did not put him in a temporary cage as I figured a first car trip, first home move and a new cage was more than enough for him to get used to in a short period of time so I put him straight into the cage I was going to use. I am not saying this is right but I certainly do not regret it and would do it the same if I had a baby to bring home again.
Be careful with that cage if you have the divider out, especially before your baby has learned to perch well.... the middle section is higher than the rest of the floor and it kinda sticks up in the middle.
How old will your baby he when you bring it home?

Izzybee

Meeting neighbors
When I first bought my baby home he was just learning to perch. I put perches down low for him, used platforms for him, and padded the bottom of his cage so when he did fall there was less chance of him hitting himself.
I did not put him in a temporary cage as I figured a first car trip, first home move and a new cage was more than enough for him to get used to in a short period of time so I put him straight into the cage I was going to use. I am not saying this is right but I certainly do not regret it and would do it the same if I had a baby to bring home again.
Be careful with that cage if you have the divider out, especially before your baby has learned to perch well.... the middle section is higher than the rest of the floor and it kinda sticks up in the middle.
How old will your baby he when you bring it home?
At least 12 weeks, and i plan on making a wooden ramp cover kind of thing for that tall bit cause theres no doubt that one day he would fall on it or something bad would happen, i plan ahead very far like years in The future its a bit of an obsession tbh i spend alot of time thinking about what ill do in like 10 years ‍♀ lol

Last edited:

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Omg, I love the cage! I think as long as the bar spacing isn't too big for him, go ahead and start with the big cage.

You're going to have an excellent start with a little one and the food issues. You will be able to introduce your fresh foods, and he will probably enjoy every bite! I must have missed the age you're dealing with. A lot of us have to wean older birds to better diets, and it can be a process.

So, the eclectus ark, fb and website. There are excellent chop recipes here and in a book I've almost finished... Written by a breeder in Australia...please remind me to put the title here for you tomorrow.

How exciting. I'm very excited for you!

Izzybee

Meeting neighbors
T
Omg, I love the cage! I think as long as the bar spacing isn't too big for him, go ahead and start with the big cage.

You're going to have an excellent start with a little one and the food issues. You will be able to introduce your fresh foods, and he will probably enjoy every bite! I must have missed the age you're dealing with. A lot of us have to wean older birds to better diets, and it can be a process.

So, the eclectus ark, fb and website. There are excellent chop recipes here and in a book I've almost finished... Written by a breeder in Australia...please remind me to put the title here for you tomorrow.

Thank you!! Im glad you think so!

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Sheesh!

I'm such a mess that I posted the book picture in a different thread...

Screenshot_20200112-154713.png

I read this pretty fast despite the digital thing. I love paper books, and I have trouble with reading for extended periods on my phone. I guess I got determined.

I used scribd, and I like it enough to give them money every month. Mostly for all the audio books.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
This is the cage i plan on getting its 72x39x74 inches and 183x100x188cm and it has a removable divider in the middle should i use this to “wean” him into it if so when same with the smaller cage. Im thinking smaller cage for 1 month home half large cage for another 2 months then full range of the cage at 6months old (3months home) View attachment 325436

Great cage! With the divider out it will be paradise! I agree that you could probably start in this cage. Place perches at appropriate heights and you can always move them up. You could even set up a platform at the halfway point if you are worried the bird will be nervous close to the ground. They do grow up fast and once they start learning to perch will quickly gain confidence.

Izzybee

Meeting neighbors
Im exited to own an eclectus but I recently found out that i cant give them scritches or pets because of the oils our skin releases is that an issue?

Izzybee

Meeting neighbors
Im exited to own an eclectus but I recently found out that i cant give them scritches or pets because of the oils our skin releases is that an issue?
But then again ive never needed to pet any other birds! :roflmao:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Well I can say this much. 1. Yes too much of anything is bad... wash your hand, scritch your little one if their keen. Oils could be harmful but if you are sensible and not overly grooming it will be ok. 2. Scritches are NOT required. My bird Pi is a species that doesn't allopreen. He rejects all head and body touch. I love our relationship and he is such a little gem. He spends most of his day with me. He follows me around. If you want a snuggly pet mammals fill that niche better. :) having a bond with a bird does not require touch.

Izzybee

Meeting neighbors
Well I can say this much. 1. Yes too much of anything is bad... wash your hand, scritch your little one if their keen. Oils could be harmful but if you are sensible and not overly grooming it will be ok. 2. Scritches are NOT required. My bird Pi is a species that doesn't allopreen. He rejects all head and body touch. I love our relationship and he is such a little gem. He spends most of his day with me. He follows me around. If you want a snuggly pet mammals fill that niche better. :) having a bond with a bird does not require touch.
Thats the conclusion ive come too as well! :heart: