• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Dusky with deformed foot. Causes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carkam

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
As some of you know, I am taking my time and looking for a second bird. There is a not so good, bird store that I go to as people often bring in birds to rehome and I felt that I should get a rehome instead of a baby. Well I really fell for a plucked grey rehome, but decided i really did not have the space right now that he needed. Then i was looking at a female 2 yr old senegal rehome, very sweet. I originally was looking a a baby dusky they had and then found out how loud they are! This little one had so much personality and always wanting to eat when he saw someone near the incubator, coming towards you with wings out, so very Cute! Well, he was attacked by some baby greencheeks that they put him in the warmer with and since then he has been very different, scared, shy, and very quiet. Someone purchased him and then decided they did not want him. I asked why they changed their minds and it is because one of his feet the toes curl around to the front, so he has difficulty trying to perch. He cannot balance on just that foot. He does climb up the cage. So he is being sold for cheap. I can't get him out of my mind, but what could have caused the foot damage? Diet? The attack? Bacteria? He also seems very small for a Dusky. I cried for this little one and I just feel I need to get him. He still is not weaned however. (vet visit of course.) Does anyone know what can cause this kind of disability?

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
No, I have no clue, but if you feel you need to get him, then please follow your heart, that is what I did with my amazon and it has been 1 of the best decisions I have ever made. Keep us posted on the little baby dusky.

carkam

Avenue Veteran
I really have this need to get him! I hardly slept last night! Maybe I need him!

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
normally it is a birth defect I had a lovebird who was born with one toe that was supposed to face the back that faced forward instead, She had no problems what so ever perching or getting around

I got her at 2 weeks old and hand fed her, I even tried to "fix" her foot by putting all her toes the way they're supposed to go and putting a perch under her to perch on (even if i held it) but her toe would automatically go back facing forwards and she perched just fine

she walked and got around the cage and room fine as well it did not hinder her at all

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Not many people will take on a bird or any animal for that matter that has disabilities.....if you think you can give him home you should! He may not get another opportunity to be cared for so well.

carkam

Avenue Veteran
That is great! He has 2 toes that curl to the front, kind if kay in top of the toes that face front!

carkam

Avenue Veteran
I know Kim. That is what bothers me the most. Someone had bought him and then decided they didn't want a bird with a disability.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
That is great! He has 2 toes that curl to the front, kind if kay in top of the toes that face front!

worse case scenario would be you'd have to set his cage up for his "disability" which wouldn't be too hard to do, just a few rope perches, Even a few flat type perches and some with many different curves, so he's not just standing on one shape of a perch and cause pressure points which would end up getting sore.

and once he's settled in and not scared of people any more when your handling him if he allows his feet to be touched, work with the toes and see if you can correct them. sometimes with a bit of "physical Therapy" they'll go back to how they're supposed to or at least a little better than they started

Just because he's different doesn't mean he can't give tons of love too :D

I say go for it - If you have the space, time, and are able to care for another bird

:hug8:

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I definitely think you should go get that little baby and bring him right home :)... I know exactly how you feel because that is how I felt when I got my special needs tiel Mikey (he is missing his left toes)... One day I was just looking thru petfinders (more like browsing not really looking) and I saw him on there.. He was at a local animal shelter so I tell my parents and then decide that I was just going to bring him over some toys, cuttlebone, etc.. This was mostly a dog/cat animal shelter so they had him in the back near the rabbits.. And WOW all I can say it was LOVE at first sight and I just had to have after I saw him... And thru this forum and the knowledgeable folks on here, I learned how to make his cage more accessible for him... I even got the thumbs up from the vet when I showed him a picture of Mikey's cage and he told me Mikey was living in luxury!! Yay!!:) :) :) :)

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Yes, you need to bring this little guy home and set up his cage for a special needs faby. They do better with wider than taller and you need shelf perches and ramps instead of the normal perches. Food and water needs to be placed low at least at first, but my guess is once this little one starts flying and getting stronger with more experience his handicap will be minimal.

Ginger

carkam

Avenue Veteran
He looks clipped:(. i hate that as my GCC had a horrible clip and now he can fly but not well (up to his cage when frightened mainly!) and he is 1 & 1/2 yrs. I know he was never allowed to fly. But I would definately have his flights grow back in.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
It's okay that he's clipped now, his flights will grow back with someone to cheer him on and make sure he's safe as he learns how to make up for his foot with his wings.

Ginger

Moirana

Strolling the yard
if you have the time & means for another bird, then get him... the disability likely won't bother him much - they are incredibly adaptable...

Status
Not open for further replies.