• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Baby Dove Fowling

Nighthawk0123

Strolling the yard
Hi there!

I know that this is mainly for parrots and the like however I came across this dove fowling in my garage yesterday afternoon. Knowing that there are a lot of cats in the area, I moved the dove to a place nearby that was a bit safer but upon picking it up, I saw that one wing was dropping quite excessively. I imagined this to be a classic case of "weak muscles" in baby birds but on further inspection it looked quite red. So I took him indoors and saw that it was bleeding just a bit and so put some quick-stop to clot it quicker. Now the issue is, the cats are prowling around because the security guards downstairs tend to feed them every day (which is not something that I can control). He drank a lot of water when I took him indoors but ate only a little bit this morning and its 5 pm now with him really refusing to eat, preferring to sleep over eating. I was informed that he was a little more active around 1pm but I still cannot get him to eat. It's the first time I've come across such a scenario since almost all of the birds I've tend to always love devouring the baby food I have prepped. I really would love some suggestions. He's poofed up and sleeping right now :unsure1: Will go out to get some seeds and see if he's been weened by the parents.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I had a dove crash land on my balcony the other year. The parents did circle back to find him and eventually fed him, but that first day or so he didn´t eat any offerings. I left out soaked seed, finely chopped veggies/cooked pasta.

The bleeding may be an injury, if it was by a cat, your dove will need antibiotics. Honestly, I would be heading to the vet, just to get them looked at to be sure.

Nighthawk0123

Strolling the yard
I had a dove crash land on my balcony the other year. The parents did circle back to find him and eventually fed him, but that first day or so he didn´t eat any offerings. I left out soaked seed, finely chopped veggies/cooked pasta.

The bleeding may be an injury, if it was by a cat, your dove will need antibiotics. Honestly, I would be heading to the vet, just to get them looked at to be sure.
The injury was minor enough that I know it wasn't from a cat. I honestly think it's from him falling down from such a height. The nest is located at the very top area of the garage so I predict the fall must have been harsh and roughed him up a bit. I normally don't touch where fowlings are found but just because there are so many cats I really can't risk it.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Nighthawk0123

Strolling the yard
Update: From what I've inspected, it does seem that his wing is broken. Thank god I made the right call to take him inside. I think for now I can make a makeshift x-cast to make sure the wing stays tucked. I still don't know how to tackle his eating right now.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Well..you know how to make a figure 8 bandage. Which is good. But still..get him to a vet to have it checked..hydration and food is upmost important. Do you have baby bird formula to offer? Thank you for helping!

Nighthawk0123

Strolling the yard
Well..you know how to make a figure 8 bandage. Which is good. But still..get him to a vet to have it checked..hydration and food is upmost important. Do you have baby bird formula to offer? Thank you for helping!
Yep I've been offering him baby bird formula since the day he's been with me. I got in contact with one of my old avian vets I used to go to for wildlife rescues and I'm so thankful for her because he's all of a sudden started eating really well :D Wrapped up his wing, he's eating and drinking well - gonna go out and try to get some seeds for weaning soon! The only suggestion I really need now is on my wing wrapping. Never really done it for smaller birds so I attempted to do my best. If I can better it, please let me know.