• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby conure wont eat formula. help.

TAKA666

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jangir
hello, i recently got a baby green sun conure parrot, the previous owner told me that hes approx 1 month old. for the past 3 days ive been feeding him (3-4 times a day) and everything was going smooth. yesterday i even got a scale to weigh him, and his weight increased by 8 grams in a day ( 62 grams to 70 grams). everything was going perfect, how ever this morning, i tried to feed him at his normal time (7am) but he completely rejected the food by not opening his mouth and shaking his head and facing other directions. his corop was empty, the formula was about 35 degrees Celsius. later at 9 am i tried feeding him again, but he barely open his mouth, some how i was able to feed him 10ml ( kind of forcefully fed him the last 5ml). now its 4.30pm (7.5 hours later) and he is still rejecting the food. i have even booked an appointment with an aviary vet, but thats at tomorrow 4pm.
what am i possibly doing wrong ?and what should i do ?
for now ill try to forcefully feed him 5ml. by forcefully i mean, by holding the beak open gently and feeding 5ml Via syringe with rubber tube.

i do not have any pics of the bird on my computer, but here is a insta page i made for him - Login • Instagram

thank you.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue,

, the formula was about 35 degrees Celsius
Too cold. Up it to 40.5C (105F)

Stop forcing the food as you could easily aspirate the baby bird.

You could try offering the formula on a small metal teaspoon.

TAKA666

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jangir
Welcome to the Avenue,

Too cold. Up it to 40.5C (105F)

Stop forcing the food as you could easily aspirate the baby bird.

You could try offering the formula on a small metal teaspoon.
thank you for your reply, i will try your suggestions and ill keep you updated :D

TAKA666

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jangir
I think there was confusion since you called it a green sun conure and those are two different species ;)
yeah i just realized that, sorry about that

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Species: Green Cheek Conure
Mutation: Cinnamon Opaline (aka Cinnamon Yellowsided aka Pineapple)

Are you keeping the chick warm? How is the chick's overall behavior? What about poops?

TAKA666

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jangir
Species: Green Cheek Conure
Mutation: Cinnamon Opaline (aka Cinnamon Yellowsided aka Pineapple)

Are you keeping the chick warm? How is the chick's overall behavior? What about poops?
the chick is kept warm ( 28-30 degrees). he sleeps quite a bit, but hes active when hes awake, he bites my hands, bracelets, pretty much anything. he is very cuddly and always falls asleep within 5 mins massaging his head/cheeks. the poops seem normal too, not too watery or not so solid. he poops an average 3 times between meals. ( i assume his crop to be empty in 3 times).

there is something that caught my attention recently tho- his abdomen is quite warmer than the other parts of his body, not sure if thats an issue, i dont really have a thermometer for him, will have to go to the vet tomorrow and get that checked.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
That sounds good. As chicks age, they'll start to refuse formula on their own and weight may drop some too. Please be sure to keep offering, but you may want to mix up smaller quantities and be sure to offer solid foods as well, such as sprouts and vegetables.

TAKA666

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jangir
That sounds good. As chicks age, they'll start to refuse formula on their own and weight may drop some too. Please be sure to keep offering, but you may want to mix up smaller quantities and be sure to offer solid foods as well, such as sprouts and vegetables.
thank you so much for helping me out!
i will be visiting an avian vet tomorrow, ill keep everyone updated on how it goes!

TAKA666

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jangir
thank you for sharing these links! i really appreciate it. i will go through them tonight for sure!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
thank you for sharing these links! i really appreciate it. i will go through them tonight for sure!
You´re welcome, there´s some good videos on how to prepare the formula there too :)

TAKA666

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jangir
You´re welcome, there´s some good videos on how to prepare the formula there too :)
heyy, the formula im using ( 19/8 Formula ) came with a sheet of paper with complete instructions of what to do and what not to do. I've read it multiple times to make sure i was doing it right. i also saw a lot of videos on how to mix formulas. the person who gave me the bird, also showed me a complete demo on how to mix the formula.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Then why are you feeding it too cold?

I believe there are a couple that are designed in a way that they can be few a few degrees cooler at 38 (like Hagen), but it´s best to stick to the 40C.

A chick won´t eat too cold, too hot or bumpy food off of a spoon. Lucky because all three of those can cause health problems if they do eat them.

TAKA666

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jangir
th
Then why are you feeding it too cold?

I believe there are a couple that are designed in a way that they can be few a few degrees cooler at 38 (like Hagen), but it´s best to stick to the 40C.

A chick won´t eat too cold, too hot or bumpy food off of a spoon. Lucky because all three of those can cause health problems if they do eat them.
the sheet that came with the formula says the temp can be between 100-108 degrees.

its 10.30 pm here ( his last meal was at 5pm ( 10ml )) and now i could only feed him 3-4 ml, before he starts shaking his head and rejecting the food. im a little scared. i kept a small piece of cucumber near him. he did poop a couple of times (3-4) but his crop still looks like its full. im starting to get worried now :/

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How much does he weigh? 10ml sounds like rather a lot for a GCC.

How much is his crop emptying between feeds?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Instead of cucumber, offer some seeds. Millet on the spray is a good choice for baby birds to wean on - you can cut an inch and put it in the bed with the baby.

TAKA666

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jangir
sure thing, one last question, its okay if i keep millets in his cage and try to feed him tomorrow morning yeah ? its 11.28 pm and hes already sleeping in his cage. he ate 10ml formula at 5pm and 3-4ml formula at 10.30 pm.

i cannot thank you enough for your help <3. im glad i found this forums and was able to receive help.