• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby conure with splayed legs question

RioCoco

Moving in
Real Name
Becky
I have a pair of conures, they are not tame and they have 3 babies 2 weeks old. They are doing ok, the parents are doing a great job at feeding and raising them.
Yesterday, I have noticed that one baby has splayed legs. I think I know how to fix it but I am worried if mom will start picking at the tape until she will hurt the baby.
I didn't pull the babies from parents yet, I wanted to do it a bit later because they are doing fine.
We blocked the entrance to nest to handle the babies once a day, but we didn't feed them.
I am looking for some advice regarding this situation. Thank you!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hi Becky, maybe this will help;

Be sure to double check your bedding in the box, make sure it´s deep enough.

RioCoco

Moving in
Real Name
Becky
Hi Becky, maybe this will help;

Be sure to double check your bedding in the box, make sure it´s deep enough.
Yes, they have plenty of bedding but they keep removing it. They seem to like bare wood instead. The other 2 babies are fine. I tried to read splayed legs 101 but I can't find anything pertaining to mom picking/killing baby because of it? Thanks so much!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Yes, they have plenty of bedding but they keep removing it. They seem to like bare wood instead.
What bedding are you using? They will find it difficult to remove aspen shavings. And you can top up any that are taken daily.
The wooden floor causes splayed legs, it is the most common cause.

I can't find anything pertaining to mom picking/killing baby because of it?
I do not know the likelyhood of a parent killing a young because of splayed legs. If you think your parents are picking on that baby, remove him and house in a brooder.

RioCoco

Moving in
Real Name
Becky
What bedding are you using? They will find it difficult to remove aspen shavings. And you can top up any that are taken daily.
The wooden floor causes splayed legs, it is the most common cause.

I do not know the likelyhood of a parent killing a young because of splayed legs. If you think your parents are picking on that baby, remove him and house in a brooder.
I was wondering if they can start picking at the tape and end up hurting the baby. I use paper bedding, which is very light to move it around. Maybe I can try to look for aspen shaving but I was worried they might swallow it. Sorry to bug you, thanks for your answers!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Go for aspen, if you can't find it, coarse pine is OK.
Don't use fine pine or cedar.

Personally, I would just remove the splayed legged chick and hand raise them separately for now. That way you can monitor and control everything.

RioCoco

Moving in
Real Name
Becky
Go for aspen, if you can't find it, coarse pine is OK.
Don't use fine pine or cedar.

Personally, I would just remove the splayed legged chick and hand raise them separately for now. That way you can monitor and control everything.
So sorry to bug you. I have tried 3 times to tie the legs, as long as the baby is with me, the tape stays on. The moment I put him back in the nest with the parents, the mom removes the tape. I don't get it how she does it but she's doing it so fast!!
Do you think it is ok to remove only one baby or should I remove two, or maybe all three? I am NOT sure what is the best at this point.
I am worried if I leave only ONE in the nest that the mom will notice that 2 are missing?
I'm trying my best to find the option that will allow me NOT to remove all of them. Do I make any sense?
Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help and knowledge.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you’re using paper bedding that the parents are kicking out, all the babies can be at risk for leg issues. Nest boxes really do need to have appropriately deep bedding- aspen has always been my choice.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Like Finchly said, just remove the one with the legs that need work.
Then monitor the parents with the other two chicks. They should be ok. If you see the parents picking on any chicks, remove them as you see it.

As for the lone chick, be sure the brooder is set up well, a good few inches of shavings, humidity at 60-65, you can add a snuggle buddy - some sort of soft toy that is the same size as the bird, if you can´t find anything small enough with no loose threads or parts, then you can use a rolled up sock. Set the chick down in the brooder with the soft item.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hey Zara, in the nest box - how deep should the shavings be? Several inches?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Minimum of two inches. If you only put an inch, they can sometimes separate it and end up on the hard base.

I have seen people using a hack of taking cardboard, pulling it apart and putting the zig zag part facing up, underneath the shavings in shallower nests, so if the shavings do move or get tossed out, the zig zag will stop their feet from slipping and the legs being stretched apart. It works quite well :)

RioCoco

Moving in
Real Name
Becky
Minimum of two inches. If you only put an inch, they can sometimes separate it and end up on the hard base.

I have seen people using a hack of taking cardboard, pulling it apart and putting the zig zag part facing up, underneath the shavings in shallower nests, so if the shavings do move or get tossed out, the zig zag will stop their feet from slipping and the legs being stretched apart. It works quite well :)
What a great idea! I will try that as well. I have removed the baby and he’s eating and doing ok so far. Thank you for your help.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award