• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Conure Weird Poop?

susiemlo

Moving in
Hi, my baby conure is about 5 months old and seems to be having her first molt! The last time we took her to the vet they said she had a small infection but it could be treated with apple cider vinegar water which we have been giving her for the past 3 weeks. However, I’m concerned about her droppings. I’m not sure if they are normal? I just don’t want her infection to be getting worse. Please let me know what you all think! Her diet mostly consists of pellets and chop along with one or two nutriberries a day and some fruit once or twice a week.

Attachments

susiemlo

Moving in
Hi, I thought i’d post this on the Healthy Highway as well. Basically my 4 month old GCC has been having some odd looking droppings. I’ve attached two recent ones here. She has been struggling with a minor bacterial infection which we have been treating her with apple cider vinegar water for about 3 weeks now. I’m concerned that things have gotten worse, although I am not super familiar with “normal” conure poops since she is my first bird. She is full of energy and eating and playing normally, it’s just the poops are putting me off a bit. Please let me know what you all think! Thank you so much :(

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's actually better to only have one thread per topic to avoid confusion and keep all replies in one area :) that way everyone is on the same page and you aren't having to answer the same questions repeatedly!

Anyways, I would suggest going back to the vet, or getting a new one. Apple cider vinegar is not an effective antibacterial treatment unfortunately.

susiemlo

Moving in
It's actually better to only have one thread per topic to avoid confusion and keep all replies in one area :) that way everyone is on the same page and you aren't having to answer the same questions repeatedly!

Anyways, I would suggest going back to the vet, or getting a new one. Apple cider vinegar is not an effective antibacterial treatment unfortunately.
Thank you! Ah yes that makes sense, I will keep that in mind. Yes, I did drop off some of her poop at the vet a couple days ago so I’ll see what they say I suppose.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Definitely see a good vet. I was surprised to read you were told to just use ACV for an infection.
That advice would have me seeking a new avian vet tbh.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I'm not a fan of acv..
Definitely not a normal poop.
What's the normal diet ?
How's weight, appitite?
Be warned birds will hide how sick they are , they can't help it it's instinct as a prey flock species. They can even pretend to eat .
As above new veterinarian. Just dropping off poop isn't best in determining health issues .

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I don't have any advise, but if your avatar is the bird in question she is a cutie patootie!!:heart: Check with your avian vet.

susiemlo

Moving in
I'm not a fan of acv..
Definitely not a normal poop.
What's the normal diet ?
How's weight, appitite?
Be warned birds will hide how sick they are , they can't help it it's instinct as a prey flock species. They can even pretend to eat .
As above new veterinarian. Just dropping off poop isn't best in determining health issues .
Thanks for your reply! Her weight has been normal, she still has a full raging appetite and I always try and make sure to watch that she’s eating enough. Her diet consists of zupreem fruit blend pellets, fresh veggie chop with a lot of carrot (could be why poop is orange?), 1 or 2 nutriberries and a bit of fruit once or twice a week. The second picture was taken after she had eaten some clementine, could that be why it’s orange? Her poop is back to greenish brown but it changes so much so i’m not sure what’s normal and what’s not :( She is full of energy, her usual baby self. The only thing I’m concerned about really is the poop. It also smells a bit funny, a bit sweet and sour?

susiemlo

Moving in
Definitely see a good vet. I was surprised to read you were told to just use ACV for an infection.
That advice would have me seeking a new avian vet tbh.
Thanks for the reply! What would the right response/course of action have been from a good avian vet? I will definitely look into a new one.

susiemlo

Moving in

Thanks for the reply! My apologies, that makes total sense. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What goes in must come out. If she is eating orange, yellow, or red pellets or fruit/veg, orange droppings are totally normal.

Zupreem Fruity can absolutely alter the color of poops throughout the day, as can different colors of fruit and veg. Fruit and veg will also increase the water content of the poops.

Basically, poops should not necessarily be the same all day long on a varied diet.

When we usually get concerned is when poops change without a reasonable explanation, and it lasts for more than a few hours.

The color of the poop, unless it's old or new blood, are not the most important thing to focus on. The urates usually tell more of a story.

As for what your vet should have done is, if there was a confirmed bacterial infection, is to prescribe an antibiotic.

download.png 01bb64_e596cb3aa4ee48d19b07166c1bc9de87_mv2.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Bird poop shouldn’t smell. If you are smelling the poop then it’s time to see the AV.

If your bird had an infection it should have been given antibiotics not ACV.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Bird poop shouldn’t smell. If you are smelling the poop then it’s time to see the AV.

If your bird had an infection it should have been given antibiotics not ACV.
I missed this part. Yes, bird poop is normally pretty odorless. Odor means something is wrong. ACV can have mild antibacterial properties in surfaces as it is an acid; I don't know how much of that would survive the GI tract

susiemlo

Moving in
Thank you so much for your reply. That
I missed this part. Yes, bird poop is normally pretty odorless. Odor means something is wrong. ACV can have mild antibacterial properties in surfaces as it is an acid; I don't know how much of that would survive the GI tract
Interesting. Im not able to smell the poop unless I actually go down and sniff it, and then I can smell the faint sweet/sourness, a bit earthy. I will follow up with the vet for sure. I wonder why they only prescribed ACV when they told me she had an infection, that makes me upset. :( Thank you for your helpful insight.

susiemlo

Moving in
Here is a picture of a poop from this morning, it has little to no smell! Is this a good sign? I’m a new bird owner, and I just want to make sure Susie is happy and healthy :( Thank you for reading my thread.

Attachments