• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby conure feet curling inward

cindypanny

Moving in
Real Name
Cindy
Hey guys! this is a 45 days old baby yellow sided conure, it’s feet is curling forward and it still can walk but it just has problems balancing.

Is this normal for baby conures? does the feet gradually go back being straight when they grow up?

Attachments

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I have not seen that. Vet check is my only thought and maybe @Mockinbirdiva .

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I have never seen that before and never experienced it with my own chicks. Do you know if this baby was parent raised? I'm asking for this reason: the hen may have sat too tight on this baby causing it to not be able to stand properly... also may not have been enough bedding in the nest box and or brooder if this chick was pulled for hand feeding. We normally see babies with splayed legs from this situation. What are you keeping the baby in now? It might not be able to be corrected at this age but I would suggest having this baby do some stepping exercises on narrow perches held a couple of inches above a surface as well as the step up laddering technique with your fingers. I' ve attached a video for you to watch. In your baby's case I would repeat the step up from one hand to the next hand a few times to help strengthen his feet. Keep the sessions short so he doesn't get discouraged by too much repetition. As many times a day as you can to strengthen those feet. If they never straighten out it certainly won't keep it from being able to move about a cage and should have good climbing abilities. As the others, I too would consult a vet knowledgeable with disfigured legs and feet.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Darn... the video didn't attach.. that link went to a page where I was googling the step up technique. Scroll down to the section that says "People also ask" and click on the second line that says " How do I get my green cheek to step up" and you'll see the video. In the meantime I'll look for it somewhere else.

Found it:

Last edited:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
This is what I meant about the laddering technique of stepping up. If your baby isn't sure what to do in the beginning you can gently push your finger above the leg to encourage stepping onto your finger.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I would also ask what the parent birds were fed and and when vet checked ask the vet if this could be a vitamin deficiency.