• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Baby cockatiel slow growth. and leg issues.

Premal

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Premal
Hello, Guys hope you and all your birds are doing well. I have a pair of cockatiel. below is a detail of them:

Male - Hashree -> pearl grey
Female. - Rudri -> pearl pide

Both are actually siblings. Hashree is from the first clutch baby and rudri is a second clutch baby. They were in the same cage and before 1 month ago they started mating. Well, I thought it was casual but then they started nesting and laid many eggs. I kept throwing them but rudri laid a total, of 8 eggs. But they keep nesting so I separate them. But rudri laid 5 eggs. So I just gave her a nest box, and put those eggs into it. I don't want to mentally disturb her, as she was fully tame but due to this things he kept biting me.

Now before 33 days ago, baby hatched. The other 4 eggs were broken. I think this is her first time so she may be cracked it.

The problem comes now in the picture. The baby's growth is not as expected. he is 33 days old but yet he looks like only 15 days old. he has very fewer feathers on his body. his yellow feathers are not shaded. his curst feathers are not grown enough. I have other babies too, they are doing very well. But this baby I don't know what happened with him.

before a week he had splay legs, but now he can stand on his legs. Well, I changed some of his bedding things in the nest box so that he can stand well.

Guys, please help me to diagnose and recover that baby.

here is the video of that baby.

- it was 10 days old video.

image - 9 days old image

video1 - 9 days ago video

video2 - 9 days ago video

video3 - 9 days ago video

Guys, how can I help him?

he can't stand on his legs and if he stands then for fewer times only. He often coleps and lay down on his chest.

Thank you in advance guys

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
A large part of why he is having a hard time standing is the plastic plate you have in that box and tissue paper. Keeping him in this situation is going to perpetuate problems with his legs as they look like they're spread a bit too far apart. Can you purchase some aspen wood shavings and make a bed of the shavings 2-3 inches thick? How long was the last time you fed this chick prior to the video. He looks hungry. You also need to provide warmth for this chick in particular. He may not be absorbing his formula properly and getting the nutrition he needs. How much formula do you feed him? How often do you feed him?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Are the parents brother and sister ? That's a big No No..anyways, we have a baby, your baby needs a better " substrate"..he is clearly slipping and fumbling on what hes on, even a washcloth or towel would be better.. and baby looks a bit dehydrated , from his red , wrinkled skin,,,and hungry...empty crop, he will need warmth. Like @Mockinbirdiva says,. Cold babies dont digest well, which could lead to crop stasis and/ or yeast,bacterial issues. Stunted chicks can be fine and grow well, just not at the rate of unstunted chicks. Warm feedings, better substrate, heat, sure is a cutie though! We are here to help, dont hesitate to ask.