• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Baby Cockatiel Sick :( Please help!

helppetra

Moving in
Real Name
Cathy
This is a recent photo of Petra and she is about five months old. Lately, her behavior has become odd because she has begun to sleep more often than normal, she is sometimes found resting at the bottom of the cage [it seems like she is too weak to perch], and her droppings have become abnormal [ they have become fairly larger, and are light green]. Petra always seems tired and is not as lively as she was a couple of weeks ago. My brother suspects she may have eaten something she was not supposed to in the times where she is free to roam the house. The good news is that she is still eating and drinking. I would greatly appreciate any advice to help out Petra, thank you!!!! droppings2.jpg droppings(1).jpg petra.jpg :sad13::sad13:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Birds are designed to hide illness as long as they can, so the fact that she is now showing clear signs that she is not feeling well means it is time to see a vet if at all possible. What is her normal diet?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Vet asap

helppetra

Moving in
Real Name
Cathy
Birds are designed to hide illness as long as they can, so the fact that she is now showing clear signs that she is not feeling well means it is time to see a vet if at all possible. What is her normal diet?
Her main food every day is a cockatiel seed mix. We occasionally feed her lettuce, and millet as a treat. Though the past couple of days, my mom went a little overboard with the millet but has since then stopped. When Petra is let out to roam the house, we sometimes catch her eating a house plant that I have taken a photo of. We have identified the plant as a corn plant and deemed it as not toxic for Petra, therefore we have let her eat it. She has been eating this plant for many weeks now, so I am not sure if this is the direct cause (Common Bird-safe and Toxic Plants). food.jpg corn.jpg

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
First off no more lettuce, there very little nutritional value in lettuce. Can you get her pellets 60-40 pellets to seed ratio. Also move the plant to a area she is not allowed in. Some plants that get fertilizer bring it up into leaves and can make a bird sick.

helppetra

Moving in
Real Name
Cathy
First off no more lettuce, there very little nutritional value in lettuce. Can you get her pellets 60-40 pellets to seed ratio. Also move the plant to a area she is not allowed in. Some plants that get fertilizer bring it up into leaves and can make a bird sick.
Thank you, I will do that.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That plant looks like a dumcane..or dumbcane? A sort of deffinbaccia..Poison! That's not a banana plant..Remove it now..get her back to the vet..take actual plant parts if you need..activated charcoal and antibiotics.. hydration.. hows her poo? Black? Or red? Somewhat normal? Please get back to your vet..let us know...hope shes gonna be ok..

helppetra

Moving in
Real Name
Cathy
That plant looks like a dumcane..or dumbcane? A sort of deffinbaccia..Poison! That's not a banana plant..Remove it now..get her back to the vet..take actual plant parts if you need..activated charcoal and antibiotics.. hydration.. hows her poo? Black? Or red? Somewhat normal? Please get back to your vet..let us know...hope shes gonna be ok..
We have taken away the plant so it is no longer accessible to her. Petra still seems sick, her droppings are of the same quality in the previous photos. :( Since I'm a minor and can't drive, I can't take Petra to a vet, my mom says she will get better with time... so the only options I have now is to wait it out and hope everything will be ok. I will provide updated photos by tomorrow to this thread. I will try to ask my brother to take us to the vet in the next few days. Thank you everybody for helping. :sad13: :sad13: :sad13:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
How did this situation end up?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@helppetra how did this bird end up? Did it recover?