• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

baby cockatiel questions

elenorcat

Moving in
Real Name
elenor
Hello! i’m pretty new to actually posting on this website but i use its advice constantly, i have three parakeets and a lovebird. and two days ago i got a 9 week old cockatiel. i’m very new to this whole hand feeding thing but i’ve been researching like crazy. i’m so anxious and i definitely shouldn’t have gotten such a little one, i don’t really know if i should maybe give her back?? i’m just very scared that i’m going to accidentally kill her :( anyway, i wanted to see if you guys could tell me if she looks 9 weeks, and if she looks healthy. she just ate and i wiped her down with a warm rag so she looks a little wet.

Attachments

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
hopefully @Zara can help and others will be along shortly !

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Elenor :)

Did the person who sold you this bird give you any advice on care?
What food were they feeding?
How are you feeding the bird? Spoon is better for someone with no handfeeding experience as it is a little safer, but the food still needs to be served at 105F.

Where is this little one housed at the moment?
Try not to get her so wet when cleaning. Wring the rag out really well before wiping her after food.

if she looks healthy
That is a good question for your vet. In the meantime, keep this bird away from your others, washing hands well between handling (maybe even changing your shirt if you have been cuddling).

Reactions: tka

elenorcat

Moving in
Real Name
elenor
yes she did, i’ve been weighing her and making sure her food is the right temp! she’s in a cage but the perches are very low with a blanket on the floor so she can perch or sit. i’ve been doing syringe but i will move to spoon! i am feeding the hagen formula mix

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
This site has helpful info on feeding baby cockatiels: Ask Noodles

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
i’ve been doing syringe but i will move to spoon!
As you should be feeding 10% of the birds body weight per feeding, if you don´t have an Ezy feeder, you can measure out the food in the syringe then squirt it onto the spoon to feed. That way you know how much you fed the chick.
The site listed above is packed full of great info on raising baby cockatiels.
There´s some handfeeding info here ;

elenorcat

Moving in
Real Name
elenor
As you should be feeding 10% of the birds body weight per feeding, if you don´t have an Ezy feeder, you can measure out the food in the syringe then squirt it onto the spoon to feed. That way you know how much you fed the chick.
The site listed above is packed full of great info on raising baby cockatiels.
There´s some handfeeding info here ;
thank you so much! do you think i should return her :( ?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
thank you so much! do you think i should return her :( ?
Did you get her from a breeder or a pet store? Will they wean her and let you take her back?

elenorcat

Moving in
Real Name
elenor
Did you get her from a breeder or a pet store? Will they wean her and let you take her back?
it’s a pet store but the owner is a breeder, i’m going to call her tomorrow cause i think she would do that, i hope she will!!