• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Cockatiel Leg problem

Shazny

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi,

I have a baby Cockatiel which is around 35 days old. Today I just noticed that it is not walking properly, it's like both the legs are more towards in to the side, so it keeps its one leg on top of one and falls repeatedly. When I googled most of the results shows the way to treat when both the legs spreads towards out side. Due to the corona issue our city locked down therefore not in a position to go the vet. Please advise. Thank you.

PippinLovebird

Strolling the yard
Im sorry your description is a bit confusing for me, I would love to help though! Are you saying hes favoring one foot? (meaning he is only standing on one foot when still or is putting more pressure on one more than the other)

:rflb:Pippin :tiel2:Sunshine

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Share a photo of the baby so we can see the issue... and good photos of what you are keeping the baby in, we'll be able to advise you from there.

Shazny

Checking out the neighborhood
Im sorry your description is a bit confusing for me, I would love to help though! Are you saying hes favoring one foot? (meaning he is only standing on one foot when still or is putting more pressure on one more than the other)

:rflb:Pippin :tiel2:Sunshine
It seems like he puts more pressure on one leg, but both his feet are more towards inward ( like ∆ ), so when he tries to step forward he keeps his one feet on top of other feet. Will it be ok in few days or should I do something? My experience about birds is, this the first Cockatiel pair I have raised and the first baby Cockatiel I have seen. Please help. Thank you.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
This is something I'm not familiar with. The baby might grow out of it but I can't say that it will. They can be a little clumsy when learning how to walk. Walking on the smooth surface of your table would be difficult for a baby because it can't get proper traction. Have you put a smooth towel (one without loops) or fleece fabric down to see how it walks on that material? How old is this baby? Are you hand feeding it with formula or are the parents feeding it? If the parents are feeding it what exact foods are you feeding them? It could be a lack of calcium in their diet causing the bones in the legs to be weak. Are you in the United States? Please provide a photo of the inside of the nest box you keep this baby in just as it is.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Call up your local vets. If you can leave your home, and the vets are open, then you can take the chick in. Likewise, see if you can send a video/pictures to a vet for an online consultation instead.

Reactions: tka