• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Baby cockatiel keeps falling off of perches, ladders, etc

Jalascreamo

Moving in
Recently I have got two baby birds, which I have named Vulchaa and Guajilo. Guajilo was a healthy baby until one day the neighbour’s cat scared him and he went into a panic. Ever since, he has had issues with falling, even when on the most large and flat of surfaces, he seems to fall. He doesn’t seem to have trouble holding on. He will often hang off a ledge and flap his wings and then eventually let go, ultimately falling to the bottom of the cage, which is worrying as it’s a tall cage and he drops pretty hard. He doesn’t seem to learn his lesson each time and it’s beginning to get worrying. Any answer will help.

Tvdv96

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tessa
I would definitely go to an avian vet to check what is wrong, it could be that he has some neurological damage due to the panic he got in (and maybe hurt himself).
As for the falling in the cage, do you maybe have a smaller cage (travel cage or sleep cage) you could temporarily put him in so he doesn't fall that hard. Or maybe you can modify his current cage, there maybe some ideas on the special needs crossing.

Edit: maybe this thread could help a bit.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What happened with the panic attack from the cat? Did he crash into things? It's possible he suffered some injuries which are affecting his balance

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Needs to see a avian vet for possible brain injury?