• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby cockatiel girl or boy?

pikachu_

Moving in
Real Name
Lina
So I have a baby cockatiel (picture is attached below) who is 19 days old and I was wondering whether they are a girl or boy and if its a pearl cockatiel or a cinnamon pearl cockatiel. I know I wont know for sure until the first molt but I'm just so excited and I cant wait to find out! I lowkey want it to be a boy because I want him to talk and dance and I've previously had male cockatiels but never a female.

Also- I dont know how genes work but the mom is a normal grey cockatiel and the dad is yellow and spotted im pretty sure. Please let me know and Id appreciate any and all suggestions!

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Lina! 1.welcome signs.gif

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Also- I dont know how genes work but the mom is a normal grey cockatiel and the dad is yellow and spotted im pretty sure.
also @Feather @AmberC

Baby is 100% female if mom is a normal grey. Male pearl babies would need both parents with the pearl mutation, and mom does not have it.

Pearl is a sex - linked mutation. Females keep pearls. Males generally lose them after 1-2 molts. The pearl mutation is passed from The father to the daughters. The pearl mutation is passed from mom and dad to the sons. The father must be split to pearl or pearl, otherwise, no pearl babies would appear.

Last edited:

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
its a pearl cockatiel or a cinnamon pearl cockatiel
It's most likely a pearl cockatiel. The feathering looks too dark to be cinnamon , but pictures can be decieving esp when so young.

Veritgo01

Strolling the yard
So I have a baby cockatiel (picture is attached below) who is 19 days old and I was wondering whether they are a girl or boy and if its a pearl cockatiel or a cinnamon pearl cockatiel. I know I wont know for sure until the first molt but I'm just so excited and I cant wait to find out! I lowkey want it to be a boy because I want him to talk and dance and I've previously had male cockatiels but never a female.

Also- I dont know how genes work but the mom is a normal grey cockatiel and the dad is yellow and spotted im pretty sure. Please let me know and Id appreciate any and all suggestions!
Hi you won’t be able tell for sure until their 1st molt. But if I had to guess, I would say that due to the bright colors on the head it may be a male.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Hi you won’t be able tell for sure until their 1st molt. But if I had to guess, I would say that due to the bright colors on the head it may be a male.
Bright head colors are not an actual indicator unless the bird is normal grey.

This article covers it well:

pikachu_

Moving in
Real Name
Lina
also @Feather @AmberC

Baby is 100% female if mom is a normal grey. Male pearl babies would need both parents with the pearl mutation, and mom does not have it.

Pearl is a sex - linked mutation. Females keep pearls. Males generally lose them after 1-2 molts. The pearl mutation is passed from The father to the daughters. The pearl mutation is passed from mom and dad to the sons. The father must be split to pearl or pearl, otherwise, no pearl babies would appear.
Appreciate the comment a LOT!! But now I have a question, does a grey cockatiel from the same mom mean a boy then??

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
theres also this baby from the same mom but he HAS NO CHEEKS :((
His dark cheeks are because immature normal grey cockatiels have dark faces.

If he‘s pied it’s because he’s a dirty faced pied

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
His dark cheeks are because immature normal grey cockatiels have dark faces.
Should have looked at the photo up close . *edit*. If he has no cheek color when he gets a little older, then hes a whiteface cockatiel. I think I see a slight coloration of a cheek pattern forming however.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Appreciate the comment a LOT!! But now I have a question, does a grey cockatiel from the same mom mean a boy then??
Only if dad is a pearl pied cockatiel. Would need to see what he looked like before he molted , unless he still has pearls (Males tend to lose their pearl patterns after 1-2 years, but sometimes they keep them longer, especially if they are pied). If dad is a split (carries the pearl gene but never had pearls), girl normal greys can be born 50% chance.

Last edited:

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Hi you won’t be able tell for sure until their 1st molt.
With sex linked mutations , you can if you know the parent's mutations. This is the case, and the pearl baby is a girl. Mom isn't a pearl, therefore the couple cannot produce pearl male babies.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
the mom is a normal grey cockatiel and the dad is yellow and spotted im pretty sure.
Just to confirm you got the parent's mutations correct, (that you didn't mix up mom and dad), does mom have a grey face or a yellow face? (Female normal greys have a grey face with dull orange cheek patches, like my girl in my profile photo) :)

pikachu_

Moving in
Real Name
Lina
Just to confirm you got the parent's mutations correct, (that you didn't mix up mom and dad), does mom have a grey face or a yellow face? (Female normal greys have a grey face with dull orange cheek patches, like my girl in my profile photo) :)

Yup! The mom looks exactly like the cockatiel in your pfp but the male is all yellow.