• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby cockatiel foot problems?

A_44

Checking out the neighborhood
I got this baby cockatiel that I am taking care of, Idk exactly how old it is but I am guessing around 3-4 weeks.. shouldn't they be standing on their legs by now? most of the time I see him leaned back resting more on his bone(Tarsus) than on his foot and he doesn't move too often is this normal or not? any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello,

It´s hard to tell from the photos, but could the leg be splayed? I would take the little one to the vet and get it checked out becase with leg/foot problems, the best chance to fix them is early on.

A_44

Checking out the neighborhood
thank you for the reply and I apologize about the bad photo his legs aren’t splayed to the sides he just puts them a bit too further in front of him rather than directly under him resulting in him resting on his stump more than his actual foot

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I agree. From the feathers I can see he's old enough to be stood up on his feet properly. Was anything else about his development late? I think you should see a vet about this.

Veritgo01

Strolling the yard
While I agree about the advice to take him to the Vet because it is better safe than sorry. But is it possible to get a wide photo of the entire bird?
The reason that I ask is because if their tail feathers are not sufficiently counter balancing them they tend to use their stump.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Should be standing, but at 3 to 4 weeks? No, not yet fully standing..is this baby weaned yet? They do " rest" on they're hocks until the legs are strong enough to hold they're weight..
@Tiel Feathers ?